• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Living Free On A Shoestring

Started by srqrebel, December 05, 2007, 12:51 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Puke

Quote from: dalebert on December 06, 2007, 04:47 PM NHFT
Maybe he's a white trash vampire. Body bag = vampire equivalent of a mobile home.

Perhaps....

Bald Eagle

The insulation idea is great - maybe you could semi-permanently install some in the bed and then construct a liner over the top.

As for the condensation, yeah, you could attempt using a dessicant like silica gel, but I can tell you that I collected hundreds of silica gel packets from my last job and I only have a small plastic bin and a jar full.  Far more economical and efficient would be calcium or magnesium sulfates.  Calcium sulfate could be obtained from heating old pulverized drywall until most but not all of the water of crystallization was driven off (drive it all off and it does not readily rehydrate) and magnesium sulfate is common Epsom salts, which you could dry until white and powdery in a campfire.  Keep it spread thin while drying, otherwise you'll wind up with a lump like plaster.

Or, you could circulate the air through a tube that extends outside and let the condensation form in the tube and drip into a reservoir that is detachable or empties by means of a valve.  A small computer fan or something scavenged from an old electrical device would probably work great.  You might see if any 12 V automotive dashboard fans are available from a scrapyard and add a potentiometer/rheostat to vary the speed of the fan.

kola

He already has a pickup. For 400 bucks he can get a good self contained truck camper. It would be the best bang for his buck.

Kola

srqrebel

Quote from: kola on December 05, 2007, 01:45 PM NHFT
awesome.

Do you have heat/furnance in your truck camper? I picked up good truck camper for 400 dollars with a working furnance, stove, oven, bath/shower and no water leaks. I was living in my tipi at 9,500 ft elevation in the Rocky Mts Thurs thru Sun night but it has gotten way too cold to stay there. All my food was freezing and the temps were in the single digits and lower. So I am now staying in the camper until Spring arrives.

You should try and insulate your camper as much as possible. Especially where you sleep. Get some of that rigid insulation (the thicker the better) and put it underneath where you sleep ( and mattress or foam over top of that). If you do not have a furnace get some type of portable propane heater. They make some safe and inexpensive ones. Winter has just begun and trust me, the cold will become a nuisance.

Keep me posted on your progress and challenges. I have already traveled down some of the hard roads and may be able to offer advice. Enjoy the journey.

Kola

Thank you, Kola :)

Wow, $400 is a very good deal on a camper.

I have no external heat source -- just body heat, and a good sleeping bag (and comforters) to conserve it.  Hypothermia is a valid concern, so I will probably invest in a propane heater before the temp drops too far below zero -- just in case.  So far, I've stayed toasty warm inside the sleeping bag (yep, it's the same one you have, the orange and silver 15-below zero Quest mummy-style).

I had an "el cheapo" Alpine zero-rated bag, but it was too tight.  The zipper would pop apart all the time, and the inner lining tore along the edge, exposing the insulation -- all within a couple of days of use.  Obviously, I do NOT recommend that one.

Quote from: kola on December 05, 2007, 03:52 PM NHFT
...I sleep with a mountain rabbit fur hat on. Check them out at Dicks Sporting Goods..they are 30 bucks and well worth the money.

Ahh, but I sleep with a plain black, very cozy stocking cap that cost $1 at Wal-Mart.  It was the warmest one there -- instantly warm to the touch -- and the rock bottom price nearly bowled me over.

dalebert

I live in a house and I wear a cap to bed.  :-\ Mine is a soft pullover Star Wars hat that I got for free for working for a Star Wars convention (along with a lot of other Star Wars crap).
;D

srqrebel

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 05, 2007, 02:04 PM NHFT
In addition to what has already been suggested you can always get a more insulated sleeping bag so that you're not heating the inside of the shell...

I think the condensation occurs because the inside of the shell is not heated.  When warm breath comes in contact with cold surfaces, it condenses.

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 05, 2007, 02:04 PM NHFT
...and just stop breathing so god damn much!  :biglaugh:

:duh: Gee... that's an idea!  It never occurred to me...
;D

srqrebel

Quote from: Pat K on December 05, 2007, 09:23 PM NHFT
Menno tis a bold lad ye are.

But I hope you understand
If I don't drop by your abode
to play cards, and such, this Winter.

But... why not??  What have I ever done to you?

Although, you would have to find me first... ;D

srqrebel

Quote from: ivyleague28477 on December 06, 2007, 12:00 AM NHFT
Quote from: kola on December 05, 2007, 03:52 PM NHFT
I actually use that bag and put it inside a conventional flannel/down sleeping bag ...

That might be a good idea...  I have a 20below rated mummy bag, a 0degree flannel down bag (both of which are single person bags) and a king sized 0degree flannel down bag... 

I'm not brave enough to camp in this weather, Menno, so if you'd like to borrow any of these to 'double up' for the winter months and someone is out this way that can get it from me/bring it to you, I'd be happy to lend it to you.  I also have two of those blue insulation pads for between the ground and air-mattress when I go camping, if you'd like to borrow those as well.

Rice is a good moisture absorber... or at any hardware store or I think Family Dollar and places like that sell these tubs of the silica gel pellets... um, I forget the brand name, but I'll get back to you.

Thank you for the generous offer, Ivy :)  I should be all set, but I'll certainly keep it in mind.

srqrebel

Quote from: dalebert on December 06, 2007, 01:13 AM NHFT
You may want to think of something to catch the water and channel it toward the foot of your truck or something- maybe a big sheet of plastic.

Quote from: KBCraig on December 06, 2007, 02:48 AM NHFT
First, insulation between your body and the bed of the truck is your friend. Rigid foam insulation is cheap; buy the aluminum-faced version, and place it aluminum-up, to at least a 1.5" thickness below your sleeping bag. A couple of closed-cell foam sleeping mats will help also (and they're cheap at military surplus stores).

Several people mentioned using rigid insulation over the truck bed.  I currently have a futon mattress covering the bed, so I am pretty well insulated from the cold beneath.  It does absorb some moisture, so I put sheet plastic over it, and there is a ridged liner in the bed underneath the mattress that channels the water.  As long as I park on a slightly uphill slope, it drains out the back.

The rigid insulation sounds like a good investment, as it would not absorb any moisture which provides a potential haven for mold.  Thank you for the tip!

Quote from: KBCraig on December 06, 2007, 02:48 AM NHFT
Final note: for a guy who lives in the back of a truck, you have amazing hair.  ;D

LOL thank you :blush:

Yeah, the way I see it, image is everything -- people judge you by your appearance, whether it's right or not, and if they don't like what they see, your message is lost on them.

I try not to skimp too much when it comes to personal appearance.

kola

Hey sqrebel,

Yes, really look around for a used truck camper, they are always for sale and within the 300-750 dollar range. Kat turned me on to Craigs List so take a peek for campers in your area. Some folks will even give them away. Find one that has been recently used as the ones that are idle get mice infested and the appliances mess up. Do not get one and pay 400-500 bucks if the heater doesnt work or aplliances need repairs as these RV replacement parts and repairs are very pricey. Go and look at them and have the owner light the appliance for you, look for peeling wallpaper and ritten wood, all signs of water leaks. limb on the top and inspect the roof.  I bought mine for 400 bucks, everything works and it is water tight. My fridge runs on propane or electric, heater runs on propane ( and it is super toasty inside..so much that I have to crack a window and vent), the 3 burner stove works and it even has a small oven. I have a table and couch and the overhead sleeper area. It even has a small sink too. For me and a German Shepherd it is plenty of room and cheap, afforable housing. If you decide to switch from sleeping in the bed of your truck and get into a truck camper you will be in heaven.    

KOla

srqrebel

Quote from: Bald Eagle on December 06, 2007, 06:51 PM NHFT
The insulation idea is great - maybe you could semi-permanently install some in the bed and then construct a liner over the top.

As for the condensation, yeah, you could attempt using a dessicant like silica gel, but I can tell you that I collected hundreds of silica gel packets from my last job and I only have a small plastic bin and a jar full.  Far more economical and efficient would be calcium or magnesium sulfates.  Calcium sulfate could be obtained from heating old pulverized drywall until most but not all of the water of crystallization was driven off (drive it all off and it does not readily rehydrate) and magnesium sulfate is common Epsom salts, which you could dry until white and powdery in a campfire.  Keep it spread thin while drying, otherwise you'll wind up with a lump like plaster.

Or, you could circulate the air through a tube that extends outside and let the condensation form in the tube and drip into a reservoir that is detachable or empties by means of a valve.  A small computer fan or something scavenged from an old electrical device would probably work great.  You might see if any 12 V automotive dashboard fans are available from a scrapyard and add a potentiometer/rheostat to vary the speed of the fan.

Wow, Bill you have some great ideas here (as usual)... thank you! :)

I might have to try the pulverized drywall or epsom salt.  How often would one have to change it?  It is amazing the sheer amount of moisture that condenses in a single night.

It's interesting that you mention the tube/fan device.  I have a set of small home made fans that someone had built to cool computer equipment, and was selling for cheap at a yard sale.  I bought them because of their small size and efficiency, to run off a 12-volt battery, but never used them.

srqrebel

Quote from: kola on December 07, 2007, 12:31 PM NHFT
...If you decide to switch from sleeping in the bed of your truck and get into a truck camper you will be in heaven.     

KOla

Thank you for the suggestion :)

My plan is to do this only for one winter.  I just have a plain topper with a ladder rack.  It is much easier to keep a low profile that way.  People see my truck and they think it's just a common pickup with a cap, or perhaps a construction vehicle.  A camper makes it obvious that someone might be using it for a bedroom, thereby inviting scrutiny.

In the "Keene metro area", this allows me to park in parking lots without inviting unwanted attention.

kola

Quote from: srqrebel on December 07, 2007, 12:55 PM NHFT
Quote from: kola on December 07, 2007, 12:31 PM NHFT
...If you decide to switch from sleeping in the bed of your truck and get into a truck camper you will be in heaven.     

KOla

Thank you for the suggestion :)

My plan is to do this only for one winter.  I just have a plain topper with a ladder rack.  It is much easier to keep a low profile that way.  People see my truck and they think it's just a common pickup with a cap, or perhaps a construction vehicle.  A camper makes it obvious that someone might be using it for a bedroom, thereby inviting scrutiny.

In the "Keene metro area", this allows me to park in parking lots without inviting unwanted attention.

gotcha.
good luck.  ;)

kola

elf

Guess that rules out a  :campfire:  in the parking lot for the snapper, shrimp, rice and fruits I'm bringing up for you.  lol. 

And here's me, thinking you miss the flavors of   :icon_sunny:  Florida.   

Faber

This is an amazing thread, thanks for sharing this with us, Menno :D