• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tiny houses!

Started by Puke, December 08, 2007, 06:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

Interesting article with some good links in it:

In praise of teeny tiny houses
Posted Jan 13 2009, 07:09 PM by Karen Datko

jaqeboy

jaqeboy

KBCraig

Quote from: jaqeboy on January 22, 2009, 08:58 AM NHFT
How about a paper house?

$5,000 Paper House is the World's Swankiest Hobo Pad

The first comment was the winner:

"And all this time I've been slaughtering my meat in the bathtub like a sucker."

jaqeboy

Here's a pic of an apprentice's cabin at an organic farm up in Maine:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_TufT5UxJYSQ/Sg5luAdM0eI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/kIuWC3wAF1I/CIMG0336.JPG

I'm costing out this type of design to see what it could be built for.

KBCraig

Russell Kanning

that house is so tiny ... i can't even see it

jaqeboy

Get out your magnifying glass, Rusel!

Lloyd Danforth

I had the image thing working yesterday for this URL >:(

jaqeboy

Hmm, webmaster, how come this works some of the time for me and not others??

Pat McCotter

I'm not the webmnaster but I think it may be the source of the JPG. There may be something about hotlinking pictures that doesn't always work.

Pat K

Quote from: KBCraig on January 22, 2009, 01:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: jaqeboy on January 22, 2009, 08:58 AM NHFT
How about a paper house?

$5,000 Paper House is the World's Swankiest Hobo Pad

The first comment was the winner:

"And all this time I've been slaughtering my meat in the bathtub like a sucker."

Yeah and this is good too.

8:25 AM on Mon Jan 19 2009

I remember growing up in Savannah during the 1930's. The Depression had hit many hard but my family had wisely cornered the market on tin cups and pencils. Were it not for this, surely my family would have wound up like that great mass of humanity trudging ever westward, hoping that the American Dream had not yet been extinguished in California.

There was suffering all around, with tramp villages cropping up on the outskirts of town. Storefronts boarded up. But we were inured to the trials and tribulations of our less fortunate townfolk in our paper plantation house. We always had fresh fish to hang in the manse's many showers. This practice was viewed as decadent to some who would oft remind us that a carp dangling in the 95* heat of a Georgian summer will soon fester and rot. But we did it to let the aroma waft through the estate, letting all know that we had been spared by His Heavenly Grace the misfortunes of the rest of the nation.

To this day, the cloying scent of honeysuckle and roadkill evokes memories of balmy summers spent scrying bumfights in the streets from under the gables of my bedroom and the lovely sounds of hogs being slaughtered on the veranda.

jaqeboy

Jay Schafer fights back:

QuoteWee Shall Overcome

It has been nearly 14 years since I started, what I like to call, my aggressive pacifist's campaign to make the built world a smaller place. To date, my approach has been to pretty much just live my life in a small footprint and hope that my example might inspire others to do the same.

On Wednesday, March 3 at roughly 7:00pm at the Hopmonk Tavern in Sebastopol, CA. I'll be taking a somewhat more active approach. Ignite Sebastopol 3 is part of Global Ignite Week. Roughly a dozen speakers from the Bay Area will be given just twenty slides and five minutes each to present their subjects. I will be using my time to rip America's system of imposed excess a new body part. My distain for the building codes that restrict how small a house can be is no secret. On March 3rd  I'll be making my position all the more clear. All presentations will be recorded and posted for international viewing.

We're expecting a full house (~130 inside, and others watching the live feed to a screen in the outdoor Beer Garden), so get your tickets early.

I see this as a great way to kick off a period of more active activism in which I will be working to convince the International Code Council that International Residential Code (sections 304.1,2 &3 in particular) needs revision. I don't expect this to be easy. The road ahead is likely to be a long one for all opposed to size prohibition- one full of marches and demonstrations, possible jail time and the all the fun stuff seemingly integral to social change. I'm already working on my "I Have a Tiny Dream" speech and bracing for the possibility of my own tiny Waco. I hope everyone else out there in favor of housing rights will start thinking about what they can do to help. I will, of course, be using our website to keep folks posted about marches, sit-ins, stand-offs and other fun ways to get involved.

I'm including a copy of my proposal to amend codes here. It's still a work in progress, so feedback is very welcome.

Viva la Tiny Revolution!

Jay Shafer