• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tiny houses!

Started by Puke, December 08, 2007, 06:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

Yeah, I know. Once I get started with them, maybe we can get them over to the East Coast for a workshop.

mappchik

Try this link too.
http://weehouse.com
I'm a big fan of their design. It's all about minimizing wasted space.
I'm not sure if their house plans would work for us now, with three kids, and all of the "stuff" that goes with them.
This type of home is on our mind for 10-15 years from now though.

Puke

Those are cool. I like the pre-fab houses. They waste a lot less in the construction process.
I also think they look cool. Screw convention, that's boring!

jaqeboy

mappchik

Dwell magazine had a competition for "affordable" prefab. This was a couple of years ago, though..... I'm looking.....

http://www.dwell.com/homes/dwellhomes

Russell Kanning

dalebert

Why does green always seem so expensive! Seems like advancing technologies would make this stuph cheaper and cheaper. I always get the feeling someone is making a killing marketing guilt.

Lloyd Danforth

Not always expensive to build green. I've been absorbing everything I can find about straw bale houses and I've become way impressed with them, particularly the frameless, self supporting, or load bearing straw bale walls.

yonder

Quote from: dalebert on February 22, 2008, 03:59 PM NHFT
Why does green always seem so expensive!

Here ya go you cheap bastard.   ;)  I give you...

THE HEXAYURT!

jaqeboy

Wow, $200 for the HexaYurt takes the prize for low cost!

Jay Schafer and the Tumbleweed folks are on the road to Austin, Texas with their building workshop:

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/workshops.htm

Also looks like a workshop coming up in NYC in May - I think I'll go to that one.

jaqeboy

Quote from: dalebert on February 22, 2008, 03:59 PM NHFT
Why does green always seem so expensive! Seems like advancing technologies would make this stuph cheaper and cheaper. I always get the feeling someone is making a killing marketing guilt.

It's probably mostly a function of volume production. You can buy tons of non-green stuff, made with automated machinery at Home Depots, Lowes and local lumber yards all over America. Most "green" stuff is probably closer to handmade in small batches, hence more costly to produce. There is a Manchester building supply company (Marjam) trying to break into the "green" market by creating a "green" division: The Green Depot. Their showroom is in Stoneham, Mass - I'm planning to go down there soon to see what their operation is like.

Russell Kanning

also ... with those houses that are delivered ... you are not doing the work

I bet you could build "green" dalebert ... and you could save lots of money ... and stuph

Free libertarian

A tiny house that is off the grid can be set up relatively cheap if you're willing to alter your
perception of what is and isn't essential. Keeping warm, clean and well fed are my highest priorities, the game room w/pool table etc. is nice but you pay dearly for all that kind of ego stuff...been there.

I have no hard figures, but you can save a ton of money by do it yourself, the initial cost of some things, like alternative energy and a decent backup small generator can be a barrier but when you don't get an electric or oil bill that can be pretty nice.  Nothing like giving up your gym membership for a hand wood splitter either.  This message is coming to you via yesterday's Solar power.  Plus tiny houses are just soo damn cool.

If anybody is thinking about a tiny house project in/around NH I'd happy to help out...One concern  to be aware of is  before buying land, some towns have not only a minimum lot size, but get this, a minimum house size.   Choose your town wisely. 

Lloyd Danforth

That was where you were supposed to say, "Choose Grafton"

dalebert