• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Tiny houses!

Started by Puke, December 08, 2007, 06:05 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

jaqeboy

Check out this video of Dee Williams of Tumbleweed and her tiny house:

dalebert

Menno's watching that and thinking "What an extravagant, wasteful bitch!"

jaqeboy

Yeah, who needs that hulking trailer behind the pickup anyway!  ;D

jaqeboy

Here's another guys tiny house - well, not that tiny - it has 400 sq. ft.!

http://www.freewebs.com/simplesolarhomesteading/

Raineyrocks

Quote from: jaqeboy on April 12, 2008, 09:47 PM NHFT
Here's another guys tiny house - well, not that tiny - it has 400 sq. ft.!

http://www.freewebs.com/simplesolarhomesteading/

Wow, I liked that guy's house!  Geesh it would take me 20 minutes to clean that house! :)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on December 10, 2007, 02:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on December 10, 2007, 11:08 AM NHFT
I like that! I can take a modest sized home and put a full finished basement in it for entertaining!

If you're devious enough, you can hide a big underground house beneath a tiny cottage, so the tax assessors never even know.  >:D

I love that idea!  I wish I would have thought or knew about these kind of things when I was younger!  Now we are paying through the wazoo for our 2600 sq ft. house. ::)

kola

sell.

downsize.

get out of debt.

say no to slavery.

Kola

Raineyrocks

Quote from: kola on April 12, 2008, 10:08 PM NHFT
sell.

downsize.

get out of debt.

say no to slavery.

Kola
Housing market sucks right now

Kids

Grandkids

Only debt is the house but it is a big one

I said no to slavery like you told me to but nothing is changing! ;D

jaqeboy

I plan to build 3 tiny houses (modified Tumbleweed style) that will be very low-impact, nearly energy-independent, but definitely off-grid and towable. I'll start this season if I can get 2 folks interested in buying the other 2 (one's for me) within a month.

The concept and detailed plans can be discussed in face-to-face or other private meeting format. Please email me if you are interested at: jack@theHomeWorkz.com.

Caleb

Quote from: jaqeboy on April 26, 2008, 12:45 PM NHFT
I plan to build 3 tiny houses (modified Tumbleweed style) that will be very low-impact, nearly energy-independent, but definitely off-grid and towable. I'll start this season if I can get 2 folks interested in buying the other 2 (one's for me) within a month.

The concept and detailed plans can be discussed in face-to-face or other private meeting format. Please email me if you are interested at: jack@theHomeWorkz.com.

How much are you charging?  I like those tiny little houses, but I don't see the point in paying all that money for plans from Tumbleweed when you could just design something similar yourself.

Tom Sawyer

Jack could design one... it is alot of work to design an efficient small house.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Caleb on April 26, 2008, 12:58 PM NHFT
How much are you charging?  I like those tiny little houses, but I don't see the point in paying all that money for plans from Tumbleweed when you could just design something similar yourself.

$1,000 for good plans isn't a bad price. I paid $500 for the plans for my house, and they were just OK. They were also pretty standard.

The tiny houses need better plans than a standard house because they're non-standard.

Looking at the website, it looks like the completed houses go fo around $40K and up. Jack might have some options that could make it cheaper or more expensive.

Heck, if I was starting all over, I'd probably go for it myself. One of these on a nice chunk of Grafton area land would be pretty cool. Not to mention that your bug out plan could include bringing everything with you  ;D

Russell Kanning

yea ... if you had a really tiny one, you could just haul it off. :)

KBCraig

Quote from: Ron Helwig on April 26, 2008, 04:25 PM NHFT
One of these on a nice chunk of Grafton area land would be pretty cool.

Shoot, one of these on an acre+ almost anywhere would be nice, since you could add a barn and shed for all the "other stuff" that takes up so much room in a house. It would definitely lower your property taxes compared to a conventional house.

Speaking of, I still like my idea of using a tiny house to camouflage the real house underneath the ground. No reason for tax assessors and other busybodies to know what your real square footage is.

jaqeboy

Quote from: Caleb on April 26, 2008, 12:58 PM NHFT
Quote from: jaqeboy on April 26, 2008, 12:45 PM NHFT

I'd be charging enough to the other 2 folks to pay for my materials, as well. We'd have to meet and go over the Tumbleweed portfolio and all choose the same house. Then we'd cost that out and get the benefit of volume on the materials and the repetitive building. I could design my own, but choose not to on this go-round. I would be modifying the Tumbleweed design to make it New-England climate-suited and to catch rain, rays and have a composting toilet and a few other features I'll go into with interested parties in a private meeting setting.