• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

homeschooler not paying school taxes...

Started by HardyMachia, December 05, 2007, 07:59 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

HardyMachia

Whatever happened with Kat&Russell not paying school property taxes because they were home schooling? Are you still not paying?

Russell Kanning

our trailer park sided with the thugs and started threatening our home ... the tenticles of the state run deep in most of our society :( .... so we started paying and are selling that house.

Mike Barskey

What are "school property taxes?" Is that just your property tax, since most of that goes to govt. schools? Is there a specific percentage of your property tax that specifically goes to govt. schools, and you refused to pay that amount? Thanks.

Lloyd Danforth

Schools absorb most of the local property taxes in NH.  Kat originally paid the part that does not go to the schools as she home schooled, and, later, paid nothing.

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: Mike in CA on December 09, 2007, 10:56 AM NHFT
What are "school property taxes?" Is that just your property tax, since most of that goes to govt. schools? Is there a specific percentage of your property tax that specifically goes to govt. schools, and you refused to pay that amount? Thanks.

Yes. Property tax bills come twice per year and are broken out into municipal, county, school, and State (statewide property tax towards education created by the Legislature after what we call the Claremont Ruling).

Ex: Belmont (town I live in) municipal is 6.18 per $1000 valuation, county is 1.13, school is 8.39, and State is 1.94

Mike Barskey

Thanks for the info. That's interesting. Ian has said before that he's not brave enough to not pay property taxes because that government entity is not as large or inefficient as the federal government and thus is far more likely to notice "missing" tax revenue and act on it (correct me if I'm wrong, Ian!). Whether or not that was/is Ian's belief, I think it's accurate: as inefficient as a city or state government is, it only has so many people to steal from, a fraction of the bureaucracy of the IRS or federal government. How long was it before Kat & Russell first started encountering problems (e.g., their trailer park owner or the local government making threats) from their not paying property taxes?

mike82934

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on December 09, 2007, 01:35 PM NHFT
Kat originally paid the part that does not go to the schools as she home schooled, and, later, paid nothing.

I thought about this before, initially because I was homeschooled for the last three years of high school. I wondered why my parents were still paying for public schools through their taxes, since not only were me and my brother not attending them, but our family also had to absorb the (high) cost of schoolbooks and supplies. I never got an answer on that, but we did find out that, at least in Wyoming, you are still eligible to participate in extracurricular activities (not that that's really a fair trade).

Now I wonder why I'm paying for public schools when I have no children attending them. This kind of ties into a related piss-and-moan that I have, which has to do with why the state gives tax money to universities that have a selection process (i.e. just about any college that isn't a "community college" or "junior college"). I don't understand how they can take a portion of every state resident's tax money, yet not allow every state resident who desires to enroll to do so.

Just my two cents.