• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Help is anybody else here addicted to a certain game

Started by Raineyrocks, December 12, 2007, 03:59 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Rock band is consuming my friends (and me).

Guitar Hero is dea. Long live Rock band.

We've already collectively spent more than the game itself on real-item upgrades.

Real drum seat.
Real bass pedal.

BTW:  Evercrack destroyed two years of my productive life.

Eli

Quote from: raineyrocks on December 14, 2007, 12:11 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 13, 2007, 08:02 PM NHFT
I used to be addicted to Everquest.  I still have flashbacks sometimes.  Dark elf enchantress.

;D   Now when I'm cleaning the house, cooking, whatever I feel like I have to do it systematically and fast like the Diner Dash girl!  It's driving me nuts! 8)

I stopped playing GTA 3 after I saw a car carrier parked on the side of the road with the ramp down and I started to drive towards it for the jump... kinda scary.  I miss 8 bit games you could never mistake for real.

grasshopper

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Eli on December 18, 2007, 01:28 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on December 14, 2007, 12:11 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on December 13, 2007, 08:02 PM NHFT
I used to be addicted to Everquest.  I still have flashbacks sometimes.  Dark elf enchantress.

;D   Now when I'm cleaning the house, cooking, whatever I feel like I have to do it systematically and fast like the Diner Dash girl!  It's driving me nuts! 8)

I stopped playing GTA 3 after I saw a car carrier parked on the side of the road with the ramp down and I started to drive towards it for the jump... kinda scary.  I miss 8 bit games you could never mistake for real.

Oh my gosh, are you serious?  Whoa!  That would've turned out all bad for you, see how video games can screw with our reality? :-\

Pat McCotter

'Babysitters kill girl, 7, with Mortal Kombat video game moves'
Last updated at 15:47pm on 20th December 2007

A seven year old girl was beaten to death by her teenage babysitters who copied moves from a violent video game they had been playing, police claimed today.

Prosecutors say Zoe Garcia died after the pair acted out violent moves from the Mortal Kombat game.

The youngster was repeatedly kicked and body-slammed by 17 year old Lamar Roberts and 16 year old Heather Trujillo.

The teens were babysitting Zoe, Heather's half-sister, at her home in Johnstown, Colorado, when they turned on her.

An autopsy showed Zoe had a broken wrist, swelling of the brain and bleeding in her neck muscles and under her spine.

Her body was also covered in bruises from where she had been repeatedly kicked.

Trujillo admitted in a police statement that the violence had got out of hand and that Zoe passed out as she sat on top of her.

According to police documents the teens attempted to revive Zoe by splashing her face with water and giving her the kiss of life.

When she failed to respond they called emergency services.

Trujillo told police they had been playing Mortal Kombat while Roberts claimed he had been into another part of the house.

Roberts insisted Zoe had been injured while wrestling with her sister but police have a statement from a witness who said the 17 year old said he had kicked the youngster but couldn't remember how hard as he was drunk.

Neighbours revealed that Zoe had complained previously of being hit by Roberts, who lived with the Trujillo and her twin two year old sisters.

The pair face up to 48 years in jail if convicted of causing death by child abuse.

Mortal Kombat is one of the most popular but violent video games. It features hand to hand combat between several characters.

A recent American Psychological Association report specifically cited Mortal Kombat as a video game that can increase a person's aggressive thoughts, feelings and behaviour.

Eli

Hard to blame that on the video game.  A lot of stupid shit going on in that household it seems. 

EJinCT

Quote from: Eli on December 13, 2007, 02:35 PM NHFT
Quote from: kola on December 12, 2007, 11:28 PM NHFT
I never got the videogame bug...nor do i want it.

but the addiction looks worse than smokin crack.

yeesh.

Kola
The only organs destroyed by chronic gameplay are your eyes.  Probably not worse than crack.

I take it you've never been addicted to gaming?   ;D

I've known crack-heads and gaming addicts; gaming addiction can be just as dangerous IME.

Add. Ex. Carpal tunnel syndrome

Then there are the ailments that derive from sitting for many, many hours at a time.( ie.  chronic back problems are very prevalent.) The lack of proper nourishment, fresh air/sunshine, the emotional/mental symptoms from lack of "RL" ( Real Life) social contact, that can greatly affect ones physical health... Need I go on?  :-[

I started with Pong and have since played some extremely violent console/PC games; and I have never even been involved in a physical altercation; so I don't buy in to the theory that video games cause violence; though it is possible that they may influence imbalances already present in ones pathology.

Easy cop-out IMO; simply a lack of personal responsibility/maturity. Through the individuals own choosing, and/or, derived from the environment/manner in which they were raised.

mike82934

The best cure that I've found for video game addiction is 80-hour workweeks...it sure as hell cured me. But I've been off since Tuesday, so I've found myself playing quite a bit of Soul Caliber III. It's only a matter of time before I get into Stronghold Crusader or The Sims.

A friendly warning...do not play any Guitar Hero or Dance Dance Revolution game, ever. If you get into those, a crackwhore will seem to have more self control than you.   

KBCraig

The last video game I played was Gallaga. I had to feed it quarters. I was damn good at it. I don't miss it.

I stay pretty much in touch with socio-cultural changes. I know what's happening in the world. But there's only so much time in a day to keep up, and I had to choose to leave some things behind. I happily tossed video games into the pyre, with no regrets.

The kids had a PS/2, when that system was a couple of years old. I think we've got a Nintendo 64 around here somewhere, that Mary bought at a garage sale for $5 (complete with games), but it's never been hooked up. The only video game system I ever personally owned, I shared with my older sister: Pong, Christmas 1976. It's still connected to the 13" B&W TV upstairs in the house where I grew up.  8)

Raineyrocks

I have an old Atari 2600, ( I think), in a box with my 2 favorites games, Pacman and Space Invaders but I need a special cable that Rick's been saying he'll get for me for the past 4 years.  Every time I ask him what cable I need, he says he's not sure and would have to look. ::)

In my mid twenties me and my girlfriends use to have Pacman parties, it was so much fun.  We'd  hit the bong, eat tortilla chips and dip and just play all day.

Eli

Quote from: EJinNH on December 21, 2007, 12:09 PM NHFT

I take it you've never been addicted to gaming?   ;D

I've known crack-heads and gaming addicts; gaming addiction can be just as dangerous IME.

Add. Ex. Carpal tunnel syndrome

Then there are the ailments that derive from sitting for many, many hours at a time.( ie.  chronic back problems are very prevalent.) The lack of proper nourishment, fresh air/sunshine, the emotional/mental symptoms from lack of "RL" ( Real Life) social contact, that can greatly affect ones physical health... Need I go on?  :-[

::) You and I have met some very different crackheads.

grasshopper

Yup, love that culture of death games, evil....

You need to fly around the galaxy in a starship!  Yup, I'm a weenie!!! :broc1:

Raineyrocks