• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Has Stefan Molyneux hooked you?

Started by TackleTheWorld, December 13, 2007, 09:45 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Quote from: David on January 09, 2008, 11:35 AM NHFT
Very well stated.  I had not thought of the 'lottery ticket' angle. 
and it also funds the government's activities

picaro

Quote from: Eli on January 09, 2008, 10:48 AM NHFTThe true benefits to the RP campaign will all be in their educational value.

I've argued this point with "purists" since the beginning.    Paul's political campaign has done much to expose a new generation to the message of liberty. 

QuoteToday reminded me that those dollars would be better saved, spent, invested.  Burned.  Rather I gave them to the state.  The analogy holds there too.  Stupid.  I realize this today.

How does the analogy hold?  Are these "tickets" votes? or campaign contributions?  Your contribution didn't enrich the state, it went to television stations and print shops.

The energy spent on this campaign wasn't about the purchase of "lottery tickets" -- it was invested in spreading ideas.

Skip the sanctimony over not voting -- unless you're also not legitimizing the state in other ways (submitting to licenses, registrations, fees and taxes).  If you aren't simply playing well-worn libertarian purity games and had conviction -- you would live your life according to these principles -- and ditch the licenses, registrations, fees and taxes.

I enjoy Molyneux occasionally -- his brand of dogmatic atomism isn't suited for every anarchist. 

Eli

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 10, 2008, 12:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: David on January 09, 2008, 11:35 AM NHFT
Very well stated.  I had not thought of the 'lottery ticket' angle. 
and it also funds the government's activities

The irony wasn't lost on me.

Eli

Quote from: picaro on January 10, 2008, 03:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: Eli on January 09, 2008, 10:48 AM NHFTThe true benefits to the RP campaign will all be in their educational value.

I've argued this point with "purists" since the beginning.    Paul's political campaign has done much to expose a new generation to the message of liberty. 

QuoteToday reminded me that those dollars would be better saved, spent, invested.  Burned.  Rather I gave them to the state.  The analogy holds there too.  Stupid.  I realize this today.

How does the analogy hold?  Are these "tickets" votes? or campaign contributions?  Your contribution didn't enrich the state, it went to television stations and print shops.

The energy spent on this campaign wasn't about the purchase of "lottery tickets" -- it was invested in spreading ideas.

Skip the sanctimony over not voting -- unless you're also not legitimizing the state in other ways (submitting to licenses, registrations, fees and taxes).  If you aren't simply playing well-worn libertarian purity games and had conviction -- you would live your life according to these principles -- and ditch the licenses, registrations, fees and taxes.

I enjoy Molyneux occasionally -- his brand of dogmatic atomism isn't suited for every anarchist. 

The point of this comment was lost on me.

The point of my comment was that the money and energy I spent on RP was like money and energy spent buying lottery tickets.  Slim chance of success.  Would have been better spent on something more likely to become capital rather than waste paper.  Sanctimonius about voting?  You must have read someone else's posts. 

picaro

How does the Ron Paul campaign enrich the state?

Raineyrocks

burnthebeautiful

I agree with a lot of what he says, but I don't agree with his opinions that you should ostracize people who support government, or even that being involved with politics is bad. It doesn't matter how true it is that the government doesn't have the authority to pass laws, because the government will pass those laws and enforce them anyway. So if the government is going to enforce the laws it passes, you might as well email your politicians and vote for relatively pro-liberty candidates. If there is a law against owning marijuana, people will get arrested for it. If there is no law, people will not get arrested for it. So doing things that might lead to the law being abolished is a good thing. If you take part in civil disobedience, the point is to change public opinion to have the law changed.

Russell Kanning

Should you vote in UN elections or hope to someday represent a country to that organization? They pass resolutions and enforce them , so?

Friday

This is a great discussion; very thought-provoking.  And to answer Lauren's poll, I have listened to several of Molyneux' podcasts at this point, and look forward to listening to many more.

I would like to correct one error:

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on December 14, 2007, 01:30 PM NHFT
Quote from: MengerFan on December 14, 2007, 01:06 PM NHFT
Excellent. So he never talks about the government needing to provide "national defense" or "border security" or creating money?

Border Security - He doesn't want to build a wall or spend any significant amount of money on the border.

Paul's Congressional voting record would indicate otherwise.
http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press2006/pr091406.htm

Paul Votes for Stronger Border Security

September 14, 2006     

Washington, DC:  Congressman Ron Paul joined more than 280 of his House colleagues in voting to better secure our nation?s borders.  The House of Representatives passed the ?Secure Fence Act of 2006? yesterday, taking a needed step toward real immigration reform.

?The problems associated with illegal immigration cannot be addresses unless and until we gain physical control of our borders and coastlines,? Paul stated.  The number one priority for Congress should be securing our borders?no immigration reform is possible until then.  Once we have control over who is entering the country, we can begin to reform the legal immigration process.? 

?Amnesty for lawbreakers is not the answer, and it?s time to rethink birthright citizenship,? Paul added.

The bill passed yesterday requires the Homeland Security Department to gain "operational control" of the country's international borders, authorizes the construction of approximately 700 miles of fencing along the U.S.-Mexican border, requires a study of implementing security systems along the U.S.-Canadian border, and directs the department to evaluate the ability of personnel to stop fleeing vehicles at the border.

Paul has joined a group of colleagues demanding that the Senate pass border security legislation this year.  The House passed a strong border enforcement bill nearly one year ago, but the Senate has failed to act on the measure.

dalebert

TackleTheWorld

Hey!  Stefan's site Freedomainradio.com is showing up on the top ad. 
He's paying to catch our attention.  Isn't that flattering?

dalebert

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on March 06, 2008, 10:00 PM NHFT
Hey!  Stefan's site Freedomainradio.com is showing up on the top ad. 
He's paying to catch our attention.  Isn't that flattering?

I believe that's Google Adwords, which chooses different sites based on their content. I don't think he chose our site personally. Speaking of Adwords, I got a call from them yesterday about a free consultation. I'll talk about it in another thread so as not to hijack this one.

Kat Kanning

No, he's not paying and it's not google.  I just made an ad for him cause I like him.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: dalebert on March 06, 2008, 10:25 PM NHFT
I believe that's Google Adwords, which chooses different sites based on their content. I don't think he chose our site personally.
everything is personal :icon_pirat:

dalebert

Quote from: Kat Kanning on March 07, 2008, 05:29 AM NHFT
No, he's not paying and it's not google.  I just made an ad for him cause I like him.

Oh neat!