• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Has anyone tried one of these? AeroGrow AeroGarden Ultimate Gardener

Started by Raineyrocks, December 11, 2008, 12:04 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

I was wondering if it would be wise to have especially if anyone is interested in raw foods throughout the winter when they can't have gardens.

ColdSoul

You can grow marijuana with them ;)

http://www.rollitup.org/hydroponics-aeroponics/134845-i-just-got-aerogrow.html

Seriously they work pretty well from what I have heard, but I have never used them

Raineyrocks

Quote from: ColdSoul on December 11, 2008, 12:10 PM NHFT
You can grow marijuana with them ;)

http://www.rollitup.org/hydroponics-aeroponics/134845-i-just-got-aerogrow.html

Seriously they work pretty well from what I have heard, but I have never used them

Hmmm, very interesting, that thought did run through my mind!    :D    Screw the veggies, hemp is good for you too!  8)

K. Darien Freeheart

I've heard that they're crap, actually. Every product will have people who say it is awesome, and those who hate it.

slim

I have not personally used it but I do know one person that uses it to grow herbs and no I am not talking about marijuana and he likes it.

From what I see of it if you want to have some fresh herbs in the house and not taking up a ton of space it would be ok but if you are looking to really produce plants I think you could do better.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Kevin Dean on December 11, 2008, 01:33 PM NHFT
I've heard that they're crap, actually. Every product will have people who say it is awesome, and those who hate it.

Thanks!  I wonder if there is someway to grow vegetables in the house during the winter.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: slim on December 11, 2008, 03:50 PM NHFT
I have not personally used it but I do know one person that uses it to grow herbs and no I am not talking about marijuana and he likes it.

From what I see of it if you want to have some fresh herbs in the house and not taking up a ton of space it would be ok but if you are looking to really produce plants I think you could do better.

Thanks Slim!  :)  Do you have any suggestions of what could be better to grow tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, and peppers?

ColdSoul

The only bad thing is you have to order your seeds from them, since they put the seeds in a special container.

You might be able to make your own, but they won't work as well. You can also cut open the contained remove the seed and replace it with your own choice seeds if you like.

Also buy the better Aero (there are 2 models from what I remember while reading about it a year ago) and the better model is well worth it from what I heard compared to the basic. The light is adjustable and what not if I remember correctly.

SpeedPhreak

We have one - I like it & I don't.

The seed packs are kind of expensive - but they all sprouted & grew fast.

The grew so well that we were adding water every day & the roots grew into a tangled mess & choked each other out (thats my guess anyway).  Then they started dying & got moldy.

In the future I am only going to use them to sprout seeds & get them off to a good start & then move the healthy plant to a pot/garden or I may experiment w/some sort of hydroponic system - the theory there being that if they were started hydroponically then the move to soil may traumatize them & they may die.

I gave it to my g/f for Christmas last year & would not have bought it otherwise - knowing what I know now - I would not buy it again unless I was having a really hard time starting seeds in a traditional way.

ColdSoul

Quote from: raineyrocks on December 11, 2008, 03:56 PM NHFT

Thanks Slim!  :)  Do you have any suggestions of what could be better to grow tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, and peppers?

It's Hydro so I don't think you can grow carrot's, atleast it doesn't seem like you could.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: ColdSoul on December 11, 2008, 03:57 PM NHFT
The only bad thing is you have to order your seeds from them, since they put the seeds in a special container.

You might be able to make your own, but they won't work as well. You can also cut open the contained remove the seed and replace it with your own choice seeds if you like.

Also buy the better Aero (there are 2 models from what I remember while reading about it a year ago) and the better model is well worth it from what I heard compared to the basic. The light is adjustable and what not if I remember correctly.
Quote from: ColdSoul on December 11, 2008, 03:59 PM NHFT
Quote from: raineyrocks on December 11, 2008, 03:56 PM NHFT

It's Hydro so I don't think you can grow carrot's, atleast it doesn't seem like you could.

Yeah, it doesn't really sound like what I'm looking for I guess. :-\   What about just getting rectangular plastic containers and dirt, putting the seeds in there and keeping them indoors during the winter?  Have you or anyone you know tried this?   
I'd love to have a greenhouse.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: SpeedPhreak on December 11, 2008, 03:58 PM NHFT
We have one - I like it & I don't.

The seed packs are kind of expensive - but they all sprouted & grew fast.

The grew so well that we were adding water every day & the roots grew into a tangled mess & choked each other out (thats my guess anyway).  Then they started dying & got moldy.

In the future I am only going to use them to sprout seeds & get them off to a good start & then move the healthy plant to a pot/garden or I may experiment w/some sort of hydroponic system - the theory there being that if they were started hydroponically then the move to soil may traumatize them & they may die.

I gave it to my g/f for Christmas last year & would not have bought it otherwise - knowing what I know now - I would not buy it again unless I was having a really hard time starting seeds in a traditional way.

Thanks, it sounds kind of crappy for veggies anyway.   I have sprouter jars and other sprouting material and usually I have very good luck with sprouts.  I love radish and alfalfa sprouts on tortillas with vegetables and sour cream of course.   :)

David

The biggest thing for an indoor garden is light.  I have heard good things about the aerogarden, but I think you would prolly be just as well off with a small container and a tube fluorescent light. 

JonM

I stopped by the nashua farmer's exchange because the outside sign said they had plant grow systems, and I wanted to see what that actually was.  It is similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Plant-Grow-Light-Economical-Seed-Starting-System_W0QQitemZ230308214274QQcmdZViewItem

Just a flourescent light attached with chains to a stand so you could keep the light as close to the plants as possible.  It uses a full spectrum bulb, and a handy person could build themselves one of these without too much trouble.