• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Question about snow on roofs

Started by FTL_Ian, December 16, 2007, 09:24 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

srqrebel

Quote from: babalugatz on January 06, 2008, 10:49 AM NHFT
Quote from: srqrebel on January 06, 2008, 10:42 AM NHFT
Quote from: babalugatz on January 06, 2008, 10:32 AM NHFT
Most of you here don't believe in govt. licenses, but would you want an unlicensed doctor operating on your brain?
True, the best doctor can kill you through negligence, but we all sleep a little more soundly knowing that the doctors we have,passed certain tests/exams to get licensed; the same can be said for tradesmen. Do you want an unlicensed hack working on your biggest investment?

Absolutely, under one condition:

If the doctor holds current certification with a private organization known for holding its members to impeccable standards -- one that does not use government force to turn healthcare into a scam, like the AMA does.

I would trust such a doctor way more than one who proudly displays a government monopoly scam-license.

Yes, but we're not in the 'what-if' game. All we've got is the AMA in the here-and-now, so don't you still want this guy to have the govt. license....or a surgeon operating out of his basement?

With all due respect to MaineShark, I'll take the guy with the government license.

I have always advocated either putting private, free market alternatives in place before getting rid of beneficial government programs, or at least having an alternative ready to slide in place as soon as the government defaults.  The thing that many people rightly fear about abolishing the "State", is the prospect of having a series of gaping holes where beneficial programs once existed.

I have never tried to imply that the current system of government delivers no benefits -- rather that 1) The "State"-based government's net value is negative (does more overall harm than good), and 2) The free market is far more competent at delivering values than "State"-based government, though not necessarily perfect.

KBCraig

I've never asked to see a doctor's license. I do make note of board certifications, though.

Beth221

i believe that it is a law, in small practices, that they must show their certificates, like a gas station showing their beer or cigg license. 

MaineShark

Quote from: Beth221 on January 06, 2008, 01:33 PM NHFTi believe that it is a law, in small practices, that they must show their certificates, like a gas station showing their beer or cigg license.

Oh, they're often required to display it (not sure exactly what percentage of the country has that, since I don't really care), but Kevin's point is pretty valid... how many of their customers actually look to see?  And do they actually call the licensing authority to verify that the individual named is actually licensed, versus someone who just printed at certificate on their computer?

The fact that the vast majority of people never attempt to verify licenses is a testament to just how much terrorizing and intimidation the various licensing authorities perform; people just assume that no one would risk that to work as a doctor/plumber/whatever unlawfully.

Joe

Riddler

Quote from: MaineShark on January 06, 2008, 05:27 PM NHFT
Quote from: Beth221 on January 06, 2008, 01:33 PM NHFTi believe that it is a law, in small practices, that they must show their certificates, like a gas station showing their beer or cigg license.

Oh, they're often required to display it (not sure exactly what percentage of the country has that, since I don't really care), but Kevin's point is pretty valid... how many of their customers actually look to see?  And do they actually call the licensing authority to verify that the individual named is actually licensed, versus someone who just printed at certificate on their computer?

The fact that the vast majority of people never attempt to verify licenses is a testament to just how much terrorizing and intimidation the various licensing authorities perform; people just assume that no one would risk that to work as a doctor/plumber/whatever unlawfully.

Joe

I must disagree. Most people w/ health insurance are issued a booklet (along w/ the ream of other assorted paperwork BS), listing the doctors in that network. They aren't going to be in a health network unless they are registered, accredited, etc, etc. AMA....blah, blah, blah
Doctors mostly work w/in a facility that has run the checks & balances (we hope), in order to get a job there in the 1st place.
Our family doctor (no such thing, anymore) when I was growing up (60's, early 70's), I remember actually making a house call for me mum, w/ the black bag & all. Those days are long gone, & it would have been far easier then to flim-flam yourself as a true doctor, if you weren't, than today.

MaineShark

Quote from: babalugatz on January 06, 2008, 06:00 PM NHFTOur family doctor (no such thing, anymore)

I've never had a doctor who was part of some larger practice.

Where are you even located?  Individual doctors are common in NH.

Joe

Riddler

Quote from: MaineShark on January 06, 2008, 06:09 PM NHFT
Quote from: babalugatz on January 06, 2008, 06:00 PM NHFTOur family doctor (no such thing, anymore)

Joe

Maybe in Mayberry RFD, guy, but all the family docs in the southern tier went tits-up. they couldn't compete w/ the insurance companies & HMO's.
There used to be 4 or 5 in my town & they all closed up shop.

MaineShark

Quote from: babalugatz on January 06, 2008, 06:16 PM NHFT

Maybe in Mayberry RFD, guy, but all the family docs in the southern tier went tits-up. they couldn't compete w/ the insurance companies & HMO's.

I don't live particularly far from Concord, let alone being up in the northern areas, and I can find family doctors.

Joe

RD

I wouldn't hire a doctor, licensed or not, to clear snow from my roof.

Riddler

Quote from: RD on January 06, 2008, 07:24 PM NHFT
I wouldn't hire a doctor, licensed or not, to clear snow from my roof.

yeah, no shit.....
from snow-clearing roofs to the medical profession
hello, digression?

Riddler

Quote from: MaineShark on January 06, 2008, 06:20 PM NHFT
Quote from: babalugatz on January 06, 2008, 06:16 PM NHFT

I don't live particularly far from Concord, let alone being up in the northern areas, and I can find family doctors.

Joe

Well then, you are the exception to the rule.
You mean to tell me you can find a sole-proprietorial doctor running his/her stand-alone office?
They are becoming, if they exist at all anymore, few & quite far between.
I remember, when 2 of my town's long-standing physicians closed up shop. They sent a 'see-ya-later' letter to the local paper, both stating the reason for their demise. HMO's, insurance companies & the big-hospital sub-stations that came to town. Our family MD just got old & went quietly into the night.

jaqeboy

Quote from: alohamonkey on December 30, 2007, 11:33 AM NHFT
Quote from: babalugatz on December 30, 2007, 08:35 AM NHFT
Elec. roof cable is the way to go here.

where do i find out more about this?

I'm bidding on a few jobs using this and will have prices from my supplier tomorrow for the various components. Let's talk.

Nat F

Quote from: babalugatz on January 06, 2008, 07:36 PM NHFT
You mean to tell me you can find a sole-proprietorial doctor running his/her stand-alone office?
They are becoming, if they exist at all anymore, few & quite far between.
I remember, when 2 of my town's long-standing physicians closed up shop. They sent a 'see-ya-later' letter to the local paper, both stating the reason for their demise. HMO's, insurance companies & the big-hospital sub-stations that came to town. Our family MD just got old & went quietly into the night.

Dr. Timmerman, Merrimack NH.  Not quite a solo practitioner since he has two RPNs working in his practice as well, but it's certainly not an HMO or big hospital sub station.

-Nat

alohamonkey

Quote from: Nat F on January 06, 2008, 11:10 PM NHFT
Dr. Timmerman, Merrimack NH.  Not quite a solo practitioner since he has two RPNs working in his practice as well, but it's certainly not an HMO or big hospital sub station.

-Nat

Great practice.  I haven't met Dr. Timmerman but the RPN's are knowledgable and professional.  Reminds me of my family doc in Ohio when I was a kid. 

John Edward Mercier

All the doctor's I have ever had accept HMO, and other insurances... they have all been private or partnership practices. The reason they give for forming the partnership is patient access during vacations and such. I know the private practices get coverage from other doctors, but I usually had to travel to a different office.