• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Visit the Free Keene Forum for more Keene topics & 130 Reasons to Move to Keene!

Started by FTL_Ian, December 18, 2007, 10:01 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

srqrebel

The Kitchen Store in The Colony Mill is a cook/chef's dream come true.  They carry very high quality kitchen utensils, including Swiss and German made, much better than anything at Wal-Mart or Target.

Lloyd Danforth

I found some plastic bowl scrapers there that I have not found in other cooking utensil stores.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: srqrebel on December 20, 2007, 07:18 AM NHFT
The Kitchen Store in The Colony Mill is a cook/chef's dream come true.  They carry very high quality kitchen utensils, including Swiss and German made, much better than anything at Wal-Mart or Target.

FYI:  The owner, Dean, is a major statist.    From what I understand, he was one of the people that was very condescending toward Julia when she was interviewed on the radio.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 19, 2007, 05:44 AM NHFT
I like the voter apathy.

Franklin Pierce changed into a University this year.

Noted.

QuoteWho is this list for?
Some might find it a bummer that there are so many chicks here. :)

Potential movers, who are of course most likely to be young single males.

Russell Kanning

well ... there are plenty of cute young women in Keene ... so they will be all set

RangerProbst

Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 20, 2007, 05:37 AM NHFT
Quote from: RangerProbst on December 19, 2007, 05:52 AM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on December 19, 2007, 05:44 AM NHFT

Keene is very much a post-Christian city, like the rest of New England, which is disappointing to me.

What do you mean by "post-Christian?"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postchristianity

I only read the first few paragraphs but I'm OK with it. Keene may be the place for us.

srqrebel

Quote from: FTL_Ian on December 20, 2007, 07:58 AM NHFT
Quote from: srqrebel on December 20, 2007, 07:18 AM NHFT

FYI:  The owner, Dean, is a major statist.    From what I understand, he was one of the people that was very condescending toward Julia when she was interviewed on the radio.

Oops!

FTL_Ian

sheltercrow

I don't want to rain on your parade but as a local citizen born in Keene I would like to have seen these reasons have a better reflection in reality.

1. "Keene is the economic hub of southwestern NH". This is misleading, Keene is not the economic hub but just the largest town in Cheshire County. The median household income for NH is $53,377. For Cheshire county it's $46,428 with per capita income at $26,074. In Keene the per capita is $20,544 with $21,587 for U.S. as a whole (U.S. census bureau).

sheltercrow

"Downtown Keene - Widest Main Street in America - easy parking!"

This was a slogan used by the Keene Chamber of Commerce and locals to attract tourists. It never had any basis in fact. And the parking thing is dangerous to pedestrians and bikers and was never designed to be easy. It was designed to generate revenue not ease of use. No where in NH will you find as many parking meters as Keene.

Russell Kanning

what a way to start your posting career on this forum

FTL_Ian

Quote from: sheltercrow on January 31, 2008, 08:10 AM NHFT
I don't want to rain on your parade but as a local citizen born in Keene I would like to have seen these reasons have a better reflection in reality.

1. "Keene is the economic hub of southwestern NH". This is misleading, Keene is not the economic hub but just the largest town in Cheshire County. The median household income for NH is $53,377. For Cheshire county it's $46,428 with per capita income at $26,074. In Keene the per capita is $20,544 with $21,587 for U.S. as a whole (U.S. census bureau).

Keene is the economic hub, because that's where all the business is.

FTL_Ian

Quote from: sheltercrow on January 31, 2008, 08:27 AM NHFT

This was a slogan used by the Keene Chamber of Commerce and locals to attract tourists. It never had any basis in fact. And the parking thing is dangerous to pedestrians and bikers and was never designed to be easy. It was designed to generate revenue not ease of use. No where in NH will you find as many parking meters as Keene.

Parking meters are a problem in Keene, but I'm don't see how angled parking is in any way dangerous to pedestrians and bikers.

srqrebel

Quote from: sheltercrow on January 31, 2008, 08:27 AM NHFT

You can find me in a downtown coffee shop virtually every day... and I find the parking both cheap and convenient.  It didn't take me long to find the way cheaper (20 cents/hr.) metered parking lot between Gilbo and Emerald streets, just a few quick steps from Main Street.

It grates me to deposit money into a government-run parking meter, and I only do it because their parking space service meets the necessary three criteria: 1) It serves my needs better than any alternative, 2) It is provided on a 100% voluntary fee basis, and 3) As far as I can tell, parking space service is wide open to competition (if downtown landowners wish to make their own parking areas available to the public, they are free to do so).

If all government operated in that manner, everything would be chill :)

FTL_Ian

I had no idea the meters were at different rates!  :o