• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Visit the Free Keene Forum for more Keene topics & 130 Reasons to Move to Keene!

Started by FTL_Ian, December 18, 2007, 10:01 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

srqrebel

Quote from: FTL_Ian on March 10, 2008, 04:19 PM NHFT
I trust that the people reading this thread will easily see beyond your negativity and research the situation for themselves.  No doubt they are all looking for something different.  I imagine their definition of "decent" might be different from yours.  The activists that have moved here so far have been able to find work.  There are already plenty of opportunities here and as the area continues to grow, there will only be more.

As an an activist who moved here from a wealthy town on the Florida coast, and had no problem finding work in Keene with what I consider decent pay, I can heartily vouch for this entire statement.

shyfrog

I added my two cents on Keene and the Monadnock region here: http://atonalmuse.com/monadnock

For the record, both jobs I interviewed with in Keene and Dublin were competitive with the West with regards to tech/web.

srqrebel

Jared

i dunno. sometimes i think we should move to keene, but i think portsmouth has spoiled me with all the bars, music, etc. i guess i want the best of both worlds.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Jared on October 01, 2008, 08:19 PM NHFT
i dunno. sometimes i think we should move to keene, but i think portsmouth has spoiled me with all the bars, music, etc. i guess i want the best of both worlds.

You should talk to Dale about Keene.

Manchester has Millys which offers $1 beers for part of the day.

Anyway, I think there are several towns (Manchester, Keene, where Lou and Matt play near Keene) other than Portsmouth which offer free live music in bars.

Jared

Quote from: Radical and Stuff on October 01, 2008, 10:51 PM NHFT

Anyway, I think there are several towns (Manchester, Keene, where Lou and Matt play near Keene) other than Portsmouth which offer free live music in bars.

yeah, but portsmouth has a really great scene (considering its size) for the kind of music i play...not that i really get out to gig much these days :P

FTL_Ian

If the scene you want isn't here, you could always start one.

shyfrog

Quote from: Jared on October 01, 2008, 10:53 PM NHFT

yeah, but portsmouth has a really great scene (considering its size) for the kind of music i play...not that i really get out to gig much these days :P

What style and what instrument do you play?

Jared

Quote from: shyfrog on October 02, 2008, 08:46 AM NHFT
Quote from: Jared on October 01, 2008, 10:53 PM NHFT

What style and what instrument do you play?

http://www.myspace.com/thecolonialsmusic

zaphar

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on March 10, 2008, 04:19 PM NHFT
Quote from: sheltercrow on March 10, 2008, 01:39 PM NHFT
You can save yourself the expense and not. A change in the local government will not happen without the town council. Learn how it functions and warps the local economy to it's advantage. Otherwise you will just be another mooching flatlander and get nowhere.

Not attracting industry created the situation where "The vast majority of the businesses in Keene are service oriented and pay quite low wages."

If you are looking for a decent paying job had better look elsewhere. There simply is very little industry here.
I trust that the people reading this thread will easily see beyond your negativity and research the situation for themselves.  No doubt they are all looking for something different.  I imagine their definition of "decent" might be different from yours.  The activists that have moved here so far have been able to find work.  There are already plenty of opportunities here and as the area continues to grow, there will only be more.

Wow, this seems pretty dated. The "new wave" haven't had much luck.

FTL_Ian

Some people just don't want to work - those people seem to end up leaving.  Just as proof that it's them and not the job market - Julia found a job in under a week recently.

zaphar

Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on December 13, 2010, 12:35 AM NHFT
Some people just don't want to work - those people seem to end up leaving.  Just as proof that it's them and not the job market - Julia found a job in under a week recently.

It depends on what kind of resume/experience you have. If you're young (say 18), don't have much experience, don't have much to put on your resume, and don't understand social norms, you should expect to move back to where you came from.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: zaphar on December 31, 2010, 05:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: FreeKeene.com's Ian on December 13, 2010, 12:35 AM NHFT

It depends on what kind of resume/experience you have. If you're young (say 18), don't have much experience, don't have much to put on your resume, and don't understand social norms, you should expect to move back to where you came from.

Though, even with those qualifications you should be able to find a job in Manchester, for what it's worth.