• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Free Audiobook: "The Market for Liberty"

Started by FTL_Ian, December 26, 2007, 11:08 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

FTL_Ian

Quote from: Eli on January 08, 2008, 08:54 AM NHFT
The book or the recording?  Sorry to be a stickler but I'm just trying not to step on any toes.

The audiobook version.

Kat Kanning

Enjoying the book, Ian.  I didn't realize when you posted this that you had been the reader for the book.  Great job!

I have a quibble from Chapter 2...the Tannehills say pacifism and sacrifice are wrong.  But in nearly the same breath, they say that people should be able to chose any lifestyle they like, as long as they're not initiating force against others.  Pacifism and doing altruistic acts, as long as you're not forcing others to do them, are a legitimate choice, since they're not initiation of force.

I see the Tannehills were heavily influenced by Ayn Rand  :)

Kat Kanning

FTL_Ian

Giggan

Quote from: Kat Kanning on August 22, 2008, 06:12 AM NHFT
Enjoying the book, Ian.  I didn't realize when you posted this that you had been the reader for the book.  Great job!

I have a quibble from Chapter 2...the Tannehills say pacifism and sacrifice are wrong.  But in nearly the same breath, they say that people should be able to chose any lifestyle they like, as long as they're not initiating force against others.  Pacifism and doing altruistic acts, as long as you're not forcing others to do them, are a legitimate choice, since they're not initiation of force.

I see the Tannehills were heavily influenced by Ayn Rand  :)

I noticed the same thing...I wouldn't have labeled sacrifice as 'wrong' but would have distinguished involuntary sacrifice as oxymoronic from voluntary.

I'm reading Gandhi right now, and my main quibble with him is his emphasis on faith and sacrifice as the highest ideals. While sacrifice is necessary to make a difference, I don't feel one has to be so absolute in their sacrifice. Also, with faith, surely it is the only way one is able to face death with a smile on their face, but belief without knowledge doesn't necessarily make them right.

The only other thing I would have altered in TMFL is the labeling of positive causes as 'pro-life'. They of course distinguish from the pro-life political faction, but I'm a believer that the ideology should focus more around self ownership than life itself. But that's kinda semantics, they mean the same thing as I would have even if I would have phrased it differently.

Also, many of my friends/family will be receiving the audiobook for Christmas this year.

tracysaboe

Does this still exist? Laziase Faire Books went out of business.

Tracy

FTL_Ian

Did you click the link?  Yes it most certainly does!

Now with thousands of downloads!

Oh, also LFB does still live:
http://lfb.org

tracysaboe

Hum. I used to have an affiliate program with them a long time ago, and used to get there catalogs, and they went bankrupt. Somebody else must have bought the assets.

Tracy

Free libertarian

Bump.     

Freedom without free markets is like a "wish sandwich".   - something the Blues Brothers never said

Russell Kanning

Jim Johnson

Free libertarian

Quote from: Jim Johnson on November 25, 2016, 10:34 PM NHFT
I got a copy yesterday.

Lloyd turned me onto it about 8 years ago.  It was an impactful book for me.