• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Drinking age to 18

Started by Dave Ridley, January 12, 2005, 10:55 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

They're forced to close at a certain time in New Hampshire?

Pat McCotter

Bar closing time is a municipal decision.

aworldnervelink

Really? This is not a statewide law like Ohio? I've been out to clubs in Nashua and Manchester and they all seem to close around the same time, i.e. 1-1:30. That could make it even more difficult to work for change if each town is doing its own thing...

Lloyd Danforth

I would think that local level law would make change easier.  If I own a bar in town A and have to close at 1:30 and, the next town over has a later closing time, I'm more likely to become an activist.
I think they recently ended closing laws in GB or at least London to avoid last minute power drinking and everybody hiting the roads at one time.

Pat McCotter

I get confused at this argument. Libertarian (small-l) minded people talk about decentralizing government and then when they want to get rid of a certain law that is decentralized they complain that it would be so much easier if it was at the central level government.

Just my $0.02.

Russell Kanning

totally agree
I think Thomas Jefferson prefered to have as much power (such as taxing) at the lowest levels possible.
Wasn't decentralization one of Jason's ideas in proposing the fsp?
Tolstoy said that Russians should hope for the independance of slavic countries and a break up of the nation ...... not an empire buildup.

KBCraig

Quote from: patmccotter on September 26, 2005, 05:15 PM NHFT
I get confused at this argument. Libertarian (small-l) minded people talk about decentralizing government and then when they want to get rid of a certain law that is decentralized they complain that it would be so much easier if it was at the central level government.

Power should be local, but restrictions on government power should be as centralized, and universally applied. Otherwise, the battle must be fought every time, at every level, and every location.

Kevin

Pat McCotter

Quote from: patmccotter on September 26, 2005, 05:49 AM NHFT
Bar closing time is a municipal decision.

Oops! I think me spoke too quickly on this. RSA Section 179:17-II-(b)

II. The following restrictions on hours of sale reflect the times during which a licensee may sell beverages or liquor, unless further extended by the commission:
(b) On-premises licensees may sell from 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m., 7 days a week.

toowm

Kinda funny (in a sad way) to read this thread and the following article on the same day:

http://www.jointogether.org/sa/news/alerts/reader/0%2C1854%2C578338%2C00.html

Michael Fisher

Quote from: toowm on September 26, 2005, 09:56 PM NHFT
Kinda funny (in a sad way) to read this thread and the following article on the same day:

http://www.jointogether.org/sa/news/alerts/reader/0%2C1854%2C578338%2C00.html

:P

That organization is completely hopeless.

"Underage drinking doesn't just impact the youths who take a drink, or their families, or even their schools. It affects all of us," said Dr. Susan Lynch, First Lady of New Hampshire.

Our country is so stuck up and snotty, it's unbelievable. :o

ken

Wasn't her daughter just arrested at UNH for underage drinking? What a hypocrite.

Russell Kanning

see she was right .... it does affect all of us ..... or at least her family

FTL_Ian

Someone should approach Lynch's daughter and find out if she's liberty friendly.  Then she could be the point girl for a drinking-freedom campaign.

Can you see the press?

"Lynch's Daughter Aligns with NHFree.com to Decriminalize Teen Drinking!"

Lloyd Danforth

Ian wants the law changed so he can drink when he comes to NH ;)

FTL_Ian

LOL  I'm 25, and I quit drinking years ago.  I think alcohol is nasty.

Now then.. nice, sticky, green marijuana?  That's another story.  ;)