• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Drinking age to 18

Started by Dave Ridley, January 12, 2005, 10:55 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

maxxoccupancy

If you are living in a ward where you (or some-proliberty-one you know) can run, do it.  If there are proliberty candidates you know, stuff money into their campaign, now!  Not in September when it does no good.  We would have lots of legislators lining up to sponsor bills if we would get on these proliberty campaigns ahead of time.  Nevermind candidates having a chance or not.  We need to help out now.

Remember:  we need to build our pool of:
candidates
activists
campaign managers
donors
volunteers
and campaign treasurers, secretaries, and fundraising chairs

the statists have all of this in spades

They have a machine.  We need a leaner, meaner, better organized machine than they have.

--Maximus

citizen_142002

I was going to run on the LP ticket. Unfortunately,I will likely be moving between now and the elections and I will no longer be in Cheshire 02. It's sad because I might have stood a chance.
Oh well, there will be another round of elections in 2008, and they won't be right after my graduation.

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: citizen_142002 on April 09, 2006, 10:38 PM NHFT
I was going to run on the LP ticket. Unfortunately,I will likely be moving between now and the elections and I will no longer be in Cheshire 02. It's sad because I might have stood a chance.
Oh well, there will be another round of elections in 2008, and they won't be right after my graduation.

I doubt you would have won at your age or on the LP ticket.  Use the 15 hours a week you were going to spend running to help someone else.  Or, just drink with young people and talk about freedom.  Either one will help :)

citizen_142002

Actually, I have been using the time to write to representatives. I'm following Dada's advice and using the NHLA ratings to guide who I write to. By dumb luck, I actually wrote to Sheldon Sawyer, one of the six representatives with an A. I haven't heard back from him yet, though.
As for the other part of your suggestion, well let's just say I try to support liberty in a lot of ways ;)

PowerPenguin

Cool, keep up the good work. If I'm in your district when you run for whatever, I'm sure I'll vote for you. As for me personally, I like to hide out in the background doing all the really important, really intersting, but also typically really thankless jobs that have to get done for our political and economic infastructure. My ego is limited, so I'd much rather see results and be happy with them and get no recognition outside perhaps the relevant working group than get tons of credit for something that's relitavely pointless. Does this make sense? If so, how many others like me are there out there? I'm hoping for at least a few, as I've not been able to find more than one so far...

citizen_142002

Penguin, there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way. Some people are just better in a supporting role than at being the figurehead. Without and army of people doing the thankless jobs, even the most charismatic candidate won't stand a chance, unless it's a really local race.

maxxoccupancy

Even more to the point, you can actually have a greater impact as a volunteer or campaign manager (in most cases) than as a candidate.  Campaign managers can help out on several campaigns.  Volunteers can reach accross ward boundaries and help proliberty candidates.  Early donations make a big difference, and letters to the editors of various newspapers help out a lot.

Many of these things are difficult to do during a hectic campaign schedule.  If you are considering a run for office in your ward in the future, now is a good time to start building the name recognition now by running for office.  You don't have to spend much money, or even buy signs.  Just meet people face to face and get your name out there.  The nicer you are to people, the better your positive numbers will be.  That's what you're doing by running for office.

I've never been a proponent of everyone running for office, but some people will need to run for state house.  A lot of proliberty legislators are retiring this year.  Others are in tightly contested races.  There are a lot of wards out there where you can put your name on the ballot and get elected with little or no campaigning.

--Max

Happy Dude

Quote from: russellkanning on January 12, 2005, 11:21 AM NHFT
They are old enough to go to war. They are old enough to vote. They must be old enough to drink. :)

I agree with you there.. ;D ;D ;D

maxxoccupancy

Dude, why is your Karma at -14?  Who is doing all of this flaming?

I believe in you, man.

--Max

GT

I haven't been following this thread a lot. Been busy knocking my head against the wall with local politicians. I've got a related question maybe someone can answer.

Tonight I was speaking to a local police officer. He told me: it is illegal for anyone to give a minor alchohol this includes a parent. He said a parent cannot let a child have so much as a sip of beer without breaking the law and mentioned the "internal possesion" stuff. He did follow-up by saying it's hard to enforce, but if a complaint were filled a parent could be charged.

Anyone know the specific RSA hes talking about or if it exists.

erich

Quote from: GT on May 02, 2006, 10:29 PM NHFT
Tonight I was speaking to a local police officer. He told me: it is illegal for anyone to give a minor alchohol this includes a parent. He said a parent cannot let a child have so much as a sip of beer without breaking the law and mentioned the "internal possesion" stuff. He did follow-up by saying it's hard to enforce, but if a complaint were filled a parent could be charged.

Anyone know the specific RSA hes talking about or if it exists.

You are looking in the right place.  This would be a state law, if the police officer is correct. 

In other states, parents and legal guardians have the right to give their children/wards potable alcohol.  I remember being instructed years ago, at my high school, by a police officer, on the proper protocol for a minor to receive an alcoholic beverage in a restaurant:  First, the server had to put the drink in the posession of the parent, then the parent could put it in the possession of the minor.

KBCraig

Quote from: erich on May 02, 2006, 11:55 PM NHFT
In other states, parents and legal guardians have the right to give their children/wards potable alcohol.  I remember being instructed years ago, at my high school, by a police officer, on the proper protocol for a minor to receive an alcoholic beverage in a restaurant:  First, the server had to put the drink in the posession of the parent, then the parent could put it in the possession of the minor.

That's exactly how it works in Texas.

I've looked this up before in the NH RSAs, but I don't remember the specifics. I don't have time to look it up right now; hopefully someone will have the answer. I think the RSAs are actually silent on this issue, and the "internal possession" thing relies on a court ruling.

The news reports on arrests for underage drinking parties in NH really scare me. There has been at least case where none of the teens were drinking, but the adult in the house was arrested because alcohol was present. Excuse me, but I, as an adult, have every legal right to have both alcohol and teenagers in my home. If the kids get rowdy to the point that the neighbors complain to police, am I going to be arrested for having my beer in my refrigerator, even though the teens aren't drinking?

The "any detectable amount" standard for "internal possession" means that a diabetic teenager who's never imbibed alcohol could be arrested if his insulin levels get screwy. Likewise for one who has taken communion, or any other religious use of wine.

Although I don't participate in the public schools, I have to laugh at all the dire warnings for kicking kids out of extracurricular sports or activities for "being in the presence of alcohol". Does that mean they can't go to restaurants? Concerts? Their own kitchens?

Most of all, I'm troubled by the double standard. Police are seemingly empowered to decide in some cases that, "Oh, well, that's not what the law meant, so we won't prosecute." And at the same time, they will push it to the last jot and tittle for cases they wish to prosecute, even when the clear intent of the law was just the opposite.

Kevin

Pat McCotter

As I was researching the RSA's I came across RSA 214:20-d

============================================
214:20-d Implied Consent to Submit to Test to Determine Alcohol Concentration. ?
    I. Any person who target practices, takes, or attempts to take wildlife in this state by use of a firearm, bow and arrow, crossbow and bolt, or any other weapon, shall be deemed to have given consent to physical tests and examinations for the purpose of determining whether that person is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any controlled drug or any combination of intoxicating liquor and controlled drug...
============================================

I was not informed of this when I took the "Basic Pistol Course".

Pat McCotter

aries

I was thinking the other day, I don't know if it has been mentioned, but what about lowering the drinking age to 18, but only for beer and wine, such as could be sold at gas stations and food stores? An interesting start...