• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Any auto mechanics in Manchester?

Started by elf, December 31, 2007, 03:55 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

elf

Clutch troubles:  2000  Chevy S10 pickup, 5 speed manual transmission, 80K miles.  Pedal goes to the floor without resistance, returns to the top on its own.  Gears don't shift at all.  Fluid resevoir is full.   I'd rather pay one of our own than to take it to a shop.  I need the truck to get out and find work.  It's a bummer to drive 1800 miles to get here, and then be on foot while trying to start up a new life.  Give me a shout if you have any ideas, or if you know a reliable repair shop.
Thanks a million. 

Bald Eagle

Going to the floor without resistance sounds like it could be a cable.

Have you dialed a message into Porc-411?

Until you can find someone in the Manch area to work on it, I'd at least recommend getting a Chilton's or Haynes auto repair manual for your make & model.  That way it's already available as a handy reference to the person doing the work and will speed up diagnostics and repair.
It's also just a good idea to browse through it now and again so that you're familiar with some of the more technical aspects of your truck and can help you clearly describe pertinent details and problems.

I'll try to get the word out on my end.  Good luck!

elf

Thanks Bald Eagle.  I truly appreciate the effort.
Just looked under the truck -  no loose cable.  No leak from the resevoir.
No squeak, squeal, growl, rumble in the pedal or from outside when the I drove the truck two days ago.
Only one strange thing just before the clutch quit:
One block away from home, as I started moving away from the stop sign, first gear engaged just as I began to let up on the clutch. 
Usually, the pedal is halfway up before the truck starts moving.  So I'm lucky it went kaput in the driveway.
I have no tools, cannot fix this thing myself. But I understand the mechanics of the thing. 
I'm thinking maybe it's the throw-out bearing.   That could be the reason I can't shift the gears even when the truck isn't running. 

I'd be most grateful if anyone has expertise on the subject.  If none of us are mechanics, I'll have to get it towed to a shop. 
Will let you know how it goes. 

RD

If you end up going to a shop, I highly recommend Tire Town in Merrimack.  Everyone I know that has used them has been 100% satisfied.

EJinCT

Quote from: RD on December 31, 2007, 10:40 AM NHFT

If you end up going to a shop, I highly recommend Tire Town in Merrimack.  Everyone I know that has used them has been 100% satisfied.

Happen to know if they do transmission work?   :-\

RD

Quote from: EJinNH on December 31, 2007, 10:44 AM NHFT

I believe they do pretty much everything.  To be sure, call them first at 424-7993...

jaqeboy

Quote from: Bald Eagle on December 31, 2007, 09:06 AM NHFT
...I'd at least recommend getting a Chilton's or Haynes auto repair manual for your make & model.

And if you can't afford it or don't want to spend the money on that, the Manchester Public Library might have the Chilton manuals in the reference section and you can just copy the pertinent pages. I know the Nashua P.L. has them.

Does a Manchester porc have a garage (and a garage heater) where it could be worked on? I've got a tow strap and could probably help get the vehicle to a place locally and I think I know someone who has the tools and could work on it (and is probably hungry and the helpful type, too.)

elf

Quote from: RD on December 31, 2007, 10:55 AM NHFT
Quote from: EJinNH on December 31, 2007, 10:44 AM NHFT

I believe they do pretty much everything.  To be sure, call them first at 424-7993...

...I'd at least recommend getting a Chilton's or Haynes auto repair manual for your make & model.

And if you can't afford it or don't want to spend the money on that, the Manchester Public Library might have the Chilton manuals in the reference section and you can just copy the pertinent pages. I know the Nashua P.L. has them.

Does a Manchester porc have a garage (and a garage heater) where it could be worked on? I've got a tow strap and could probably help get the vehicle to a place locally and I think I know someone who has the tools and could work on it (and is probably hungry and the helpful type, too.)

Wow!  Thanks for all the helpful tips.   I'm going out to fill the reservoir AND the boot, pump up the pedal a few dozen times, see if that works.
I'll give you a shout jaquboy if I need a pull.    I'll have to find somebody who knows how to fix it first, if my fill-it and pump-up doesn't do the trick.

I knew I made the right move coming here.  Porcs are the BEST.   Thanks ever so much.   ;D

KBCraig

So the clutch engaged just as you started letting the pedal out, and now won't disengage? If it's not in the hydraulics, then it could be that your throwout bearing has gone out. That would normally make some noise when you press the pedal, though.