• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Ubuntu 7.10

Started by 41mag, December 31, 2007, 06:35 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

41mag

[whining]
I'm currently writing this while running the Ubuntu live cd.  I attempted to install Ubuntu last night and now I can't log in to my computer.  With my account I am unable to log into a Gnome session.  The failsafe Gnome session ended with a message that the session lasted for less than 10 sec and suggested I try the failsafe Gnome session.  The only way I was able to log in was a failsafe terminal session.   :angry4:  I don't even have root access since Ubuntu did not give me any setup or password for the root account. 

I thought that since the live cd worked I might be able to get a newer version of Linux that Fedora Core 4.  Looks like I'll be switching back.
[/whining]

I probably need newer hardware than this 500MHz P3 from 1999.  (Can't beat free though.)

Russell Kanning

Lex

After almost 2 (or is it 3) years I finally broke down and upgraded from Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 8. It's sweet. I'll probably wait until FC12 before upgrading again though. What a pain.

I don't like Ubantu because of how they have the root user account setup. But this is more of an old habit than anything else. I'm sure Ubantu has a good reason to do what they did.

error

Hm. There's no 'a' in Ubuntu, and 'sudo -s' is your friend. And, yes, waiting years to upgrade will cause you problems. Don't wait. Stay up to date. :)

Bill St. Clair

As error alluded, the Ubuntu installer doesn't give you root access, but it puts you in the adm group, which has full sudo permission. So you can "sudo passwd" to set the root password, or "sudo -s" to get a root shell. Mac OS X does the same thing with its root access.

41mag

I'm back up with FC8!   ;D

Still finishing the install, not everything was on the live CD. 

KBCraig

Ubuntu abandoned PPC with 5.x, so I can't comment.  :'(

I do have the 7.10 dmg downloaded, to burn to disc when I have a chance, for the intel-based devices still on our LAN.

dalebert

It broke my drawing pad which is pretty important right now so I had to reinstall the previous version.

Dan

QuoteI probably need newer hardware than this 500MHz P3 from 1999.  (Can't beat free though.)

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Done.  Ubuntu on a PIII 500Mhz machine.

Caleb

My experience with Xubuntu is that it is very buggy.

Russell Kanning

dalebert

I have a lot of problems with my power saving modes on my laptop with Ubuntu. I just put up with it.

41mag

Quote from: Dan on January 01, 2008, 11:40 AM NHFT

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Done.  Ubuntu on a PIII 500Mhz machine.
I'm using what I've got.  I've noticed Fedora Core 8 is running a bit slower than FC4, but it seems to be working fine.

Do you have something better?

Lex

Quote from: error on December 31, 2007, 01:18 PM NHFT
Hm. There's no 'a' in Ubuntu, and 'sudo -s' is your friend. And, yes, waiting years to upgrade will cause you problems. Don't wait. Stay up to date. :)

Technically I didn't 'upgrade', I did a full reinstall. The painful part was backing up all of my data in the home dir. I'm too lazy to correctly partition my harddrive so that my home dir is on its own partition so I'm left with backing everything up before I install. I think i'll get a firewire external drive or something so I can backup things much easier.

Who said being lazy didn't have a downside?

Dan

QuoteThe painful part was backing up all of my data in the home dir

Painful is NOT backing up your home dir.  Go look up some of the cooler features available to Linux like backing up your home to a spare gmail account.