• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Off the Grid by Dilbert

Started by dalebert, January 01, 2008, 01:49 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

From the Dilbert Blog
http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2007/12/off-the-grid.html
-----

When I was researching green technology, I was disappointed to find out that no amount of solar panels can get you off the power grid. You also need a way to store the power for night use, and that technology is not yet economical or convenient.

There's something cool about the thought of being totally off the power grid. It's a psychological thing. I could rationalize being off the grid by saying it would come in handy if the rest of the world runs out of energy. But realistically, the big worry in that case wouldn't be powering my iPod so much as not getting eaten by cannibals.

This week I saw some stories that reactivate my fantasy of being off the power grid for no practical reason whatsoever. First, you will soon be able to have your own nuclear reactor for your house.

http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news-toshiba-micro-nuclear-12.17b.html

I don't know about you, but I would look for ways to weaponize it. I'm sure they'll say that isn't possible, but I'd still try. I want nuclear superiority in my neighborhood.

There was also a recent breakthrough in battery technology. It will take a few years, but it looks as if you will be able to economically store your solar power after all, both for your home and your future electric car.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/12/071219103105.htm

And the story wouldn't be complete without a story about a solar panel company that can now get you energy cheaper than coal and is already shipping product.

http://www.celsias.com/2007/11/23/nanosolars-breakthrough-technology-solar-now-cheaper-than-coal/

I think these three technologies, if they all proved real, would provide the tipping point. Every new home would be energy self-sufficient, and all cars would be electric because you could charge them for free at home. Nothing new needs to be invented to make this happen.

Now please enjoy the brief period of optimism before you learn some reason this won't all happen.

error

Quote from: dalebert on January 01, 2008, 01:49 PM NHFT
Now please enjoy the brief period of optimism before you learn some reason this won't all happen.

Some government bureaucrat is going to rain on this parade.

John Edward Mercier

I don't know we now have net-metering to help us along. Storage could be added as viable. And with 25/25 in NH, we should see expansion of small individual systems that have less oversight.

dalebert

I'm having the darndest time finding that thread about that new electric car, the one that will soon have a version equipped with a gas-powered electric generator and that will get 200 mpg that way. Anyone know what happened to that thread? I did a search on "electric car" and didn't find it.

John Edward Mercier

KBCraig

tracysaboe

http://www.celsias.com/2007/11/23/nanosolars-breakthrough-technology-solar-now-cheaper-than-coal/

I think the reason it's taking so long for these to come to market is in part because of Patent Monopoly.

Nobody's competing with them to try and produce this product.

Any idea where else such things might be produced?

Tracy

Free libertarian

no amount of solar panels can get you off the grid?  Not quite.  If you temper your electrical usage, it's not very hard, just different than what most of us grew up with.  It does require an adjustment to using alternative methods of getting stuff done or simply not doing certain things that require large amounts of electricity. For instance several years ago I traded in a clothes dryer for a clothes line. The morning coffee is just as hot heated with wood or propane.

One thing that happens when we visit relatives or friends I notice all the electrical stuff that gets left on and nobody is using it...  when you live on a small scale off the grid homestead the luxury of electrical waste doesn't / can't happen.  Besides when people lose power during storms, if you are off the grid you get to gloat and that has to be worth something!   ;D

John Edward Mercier

Around here they're usually gloating around my generator.

MaineShark

Quote from: Free libertarian on April 30, 2009, 06:47 AM NHFTno amount of solar panels can get you off the grid?  Not quite.  If you temper your electrical usage, it's not very hard, just different than what most of us grew up with.  It does require an adjustment to using alternative methods of getting stuff done or simply not doing certain things that require large amounts of electricity. For instance several years ago I traded in a clothes dryer for a clothes line. The morning coffee is just as hot heated with wood or propane.

Solar panels and related technology, as well as consumables like propane, are supplied by "the grid."  As long as you are using stuff like that, you are merely less-directly-connected-to-the-grid, not off-grid.

Joe

Lloyd Danforth

THE GRID IS THE MATRIX!!!!!!!!
THE MATRIX IS THE GRID!!!!!!!!
NO ESCAPE!!!!!!!

MaineShark

Free libertarian

Quote from: MaineShark on April 30, 2009, 05:19 PM NHFT
Quote from: Free libertarian on April 30, 2009, 06:47 AM NHFTno amount of solar panels can get you off the grid?  Not quite.  If you temper your electrical usage, it's not very hard, just different than what most of us grew up with.  It does require an adjustment to using alternative methods of getting stuff done or simply not doing certain things that require large amounts of electricity. For instance several years ago I traded in a clothes dryer for a clothes line. The morning coffee is just as hot heated with wood or propane.

Solar panels and related technology, as well as consumables like propane, are supplied by "the grid."  As long as you are using stuff like that, you are merely less-directly-connected-to-the-grid, not off-grid.

Joe

Does that mean it's wrong of me to gloat??  ;D

MaineShark

Quote from: Free libertarian on April 30, 2009, 07:44 PM NHFT
Does that mean it's wrong of me to gloat??  ;D

Nope.  Being less dependent on the grid is a good thing! :)

Joe

Pat McCotter

Joe

Yep, let's have a purity check for off-grid living.

Regular deliveries like propane and oil - on the grid.
How about salt?

Solar panels - on the grid.
How about the copper wire I use to distribute electricity in my house?

The nails used to hold my house together keep me on the grid.

Wait! The saw I used to cut the wood to build my house! I can't make it myself so I have to stay on the grid!