• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Application Developer at Harvard Law School (my former job)

Started by J’raxis 270145, January 04, 2008, 12:26 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

J’raxis 270145

This is the job that I'm leaving at the end of January:—

Title: Applications Developer
School / Unit: Harvard Law School
Department : Information Technology Services
Full Or Part Time: Full-Time

Duties And Responsibilities: Reports to the Lead Developer and works in a development team setting. We seek an energetic, creative developer to work throughout the full development cycle on varied projects in support of instructional, administrative and academic needs of the HLS community. Gathers requirements with clients; designs, tests and implements new applications and extensions to existing applications; integrates existing applications. Writes any necessary programmatic or administrative procedures or scripts. Writes technical documentation and collaborates in end-user documentation. Defines back-end database needs (definition and schemas). Provides back-up technical support for ITS colleagues, working collaboratively with all members of our ITS team.

Required Education, Experience and Skills Basic qualifications: B.S. in computer science, engineering, or equivalent experience required. [I was hired for this position based on experience; the department was relatively lenient about degree "requirements" for positions. —J'raxis] 3-5 years progressive, hands-on experience designing, coding, debugging, testing, implementing, and supporting database-driven websites and applications. Additional qualifications; Strong background in developing in Perl and PHP on Linux platforms. Advanced understanding of database structures and experience with MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server. Understanding of web servers, HTTP, TCP/IP, LDAP, XML, CSS, XSLT. Experience in full, life-cycle development efforts including excellent application specification and documentation skills. Solid organizational skills, ability to work with non-technical clients, project management experience, strong written and communication abilities. Experience with the Microsoft development platform including .NET, VB/VBScript, Server 2003 and ASP is a plus.

Required Screening: Harvard University requires pre-employment reference and background screening. [This did not include a drug screening or anything else particularly intrusive when I was hired. They did check my driver's license and citizenship status, and did require an SSN and that I fill out the relevant IRS forms.]

You can apply here:—
http://jobs.harvard.edu/jobs/summ_req?in_post_id=36546

My reason for quitting is because of the hellish commute from Manchester, so I'm not sure how attractive this would be to people living anywhere but along the Massachusetts border. It's probably tolerable from Nashua and the seacoast; you guys settling in Seabrook might be particularly interested. (From Manchester, taking I-93 during rush hour, it could take anywhere from 90 minutes to over two hours in each direction. It's about sixty miles, so outside of rush hour you could theoretically make the trip in less than an hour.)

If you take a Concord Trailways or Boston Express bus into Boston, it'll drop you off at South Station or Park Street Station, from which you take the Red Line subway to Harvard Square. This usually takes 20 minutes, but to get back to South Station in the evening, I always allow 45–50 because the MBTA isn't known for its reliability.

Parking in Cambridge is very expensive, including at Harvard's private lots. Street parking, if you can find it, is metered. The bus from Manchester is $65 per week, and the subway is $29.50 per month ($59 normally; Harvard pays for half, for full-time employees).

Massachusetts has a 5.3% income tax, and a 5% sales tax, including restaurant meals but not unprepared food. Cambridge is also known as the People's Republic of Cambridge. Harvard is home to the Berkman Center for Internet and Society, which should be familiar to anyone interested in Free Software and "intellectual property" law.

If you're thinking of applying for the job, let me know and I'll put in a good word for you. I'd be happy to show you around the campus and city. I'll be there until 2008-02-01.

KBCraig

Haavaad Law, eh? Did you ever meet former FSP Presidente Amanda?

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: KBCraig on January 04, 2008, 09:44 PM NHFT

Nope. She's a student there now?

KBCraig

David

Quote from: KBCraig on January 04, 2008, 09:44 PM NHFT

Amanda Philips if I am not mistaken. 

Lloyd Danforth

She posts on the Organizers mailing list, but, as far as I can tell is no longer active in the FSP