• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Should protesters respect private property?

Started by yonder, January 05, 2008, 10:55 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

yonder

Well hello, Mr. Strawman.  We were expecting you.  Your table is right this way.

David

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 08, 2008, 08:10 PM NHFT
how do you decide who own's what property?
How do you decide who owns you clothing, or your car, or your cell phone, or any other thing that you own?
Most make a claim and have some reason for making it.  I can be a title, a bill that says you bought it, or others around you recognize your ownership of it. 

Eli

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 08, 2008, 08:10 PM NHFT
how do you decide who own's what property?

Russell isn't wrong to ask this.  It is the question that seperates different types of anarchists.  I'm still not sure how to answer it.  Russell doesn't think it's important, but Russell doesn't think a lot of things are important.

MaineShark

Quote from: Eli on January 09, 2008, 12:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 08, 2008, 08:10 PM NHFThow do you decide who own's what property?
Russell isn't wrong to ask this.  It is the question that seperates different types of anarchists.  I'm still not sure how to answer it.  Russell doesn't think it's important, but Russell doesn't think a lot of things are important.

I've yet to meet an anarchist who doesn't understand that all rights are property rights, stemming from the ownership of one's own body.

Joe

Eli

Joe, people who hold that belief actually tend to be classical liberals.

Lots of anarchists (Proudhon, Kropotkin) have questions about property.  Let's not be choosy about that half of the label.

MaineShark

Quote from: Eli on January 09, 2008, 01:11 PM NHFTJoe, people who hold that belief actually tend to be classical liberals.

Lots of anarchists (Proudhon, Kropotkin) have questions about property.  Let's not be choosy about that half of the label.

An anarchist is someone who believes that all interactions between sentient beings should be voluntary.

Proudhon is not an anarchist.  He believes that he can engage in non-voluntary interactions with me.

Joe

Caleb

Arguing with Joe is pointless. He has a closed mind, thinks he knows everything, and is impolite to boot.

Keep in mind that in Joe's world, him shooting a guy dead is a voluntary interaction, if the guy "chose, by his actions, to warrant a bullet in his head."

MaineShark

Quote from: Caleb on January 09, 2008, 01:20 PM NHFTArguing with Joe is pointless. He has a closed mind, thinks he knows everything, and is impolite to boot.

LOL.  I think you were looking at a mirror, instead of at me.

Quote from: Caleb on January 09, 2008, 01:20 PM NHFTKeep in mind that in Joe's world, him shooting a guy dead is a voluntary interaction, if the guy "chose, by his actions, to warrant a bullet in his head."

Indeed it is.  If I'm shooting someone, it's because he voluntarily chose to attack me.  He's simply using me as a tool to commit suicide.

Joe

sandm000

I have to agree with Joe on this one.  If I have something, and you take it without asking me for it, you have effectively declared that you do not respect me or my rights.  If you do not respect me or my rights I have no obligation to respect you or yours.  You have said, "Anything you want from me you can have, including my life."

Or if you like you have said, "What's yours is mine." so the corollary must also be true.

What is property?  It is a thing that I have put my name on.  So you can come to me and ask me for it.  As far as literal property (eg real estate) any place I haven't made an attempt to keep you out of, you are allowed into, temporarily.  I will let you stay as long as I like, commonly understood to be 1 mph (a leisurely walk across my lawn).  If there isn't a fence or shrubbery delineating a border, you usually can see some physically boundary saying where my lot ends and my neighbors begins.

MaineShark

Quote from: Blackie on January 09, 2008, 02:47 PM NHFTso just humans own there bodies?

I'm not ruling out aliens, etc.

If you were referring to animals then the answer is that animals are property, not people.

Joe

Eli

Should I draw a ven diagram? 
All People = animals
All animals not= people

MaineShark

A square is a rectangle.   Not all rectangles are squares.

The physical universe consists of:

People

Things

People are sentient creatures with rights.

Things are property.

Joe

MaineShark

Quote from: Blackie on January 09, 2008, 02:58 PM NHFTrights are made up....they only exist in your head or on paper.

In a strict sense, yes.  All rights are based upon the assumption that continued existence is a good thing.  This is a rather easy assumption to make, since anyone who doesn't make it will promptly suicide in some way.

Quote from: Blackie on January 09, 2008, 02:58 PM NHFTso the universe is made up of "things"  ::)

Things and people.

Joe

sandm000

Blackie,
can I ask you to
1. elaborate on your position.
2. stick to quips regarding the main topic.
or 3. wait until you have more to say.

Yes people are things, but what does it mean and why did you say it?