• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Manicure news

Started by Pat McCotter, June 29, 2005, 08:17 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat McCotter

Gloria tells me two of the national morning news shows (Chan 4 and Chan 9 in NH) had stories about manicure salons, even though licensed, are not as sanitary as they should be. The shows even suggested that customers should bring their own equipment!!!!!

PattyE

I heard that report the other night but didn't hear the beginning.? I guess we can thank Paula Abdul for this one:

BYO Tools To Nail Salons

NEW YORK, June 29, 2005

Nail Salon Safety

(CBS) This week, singer-dancer and "American Idol" judge Paula Abdul testified in support of stronger regulation of nail salons in California, after battling a long and painful thumb infection she says she picked up at a Los Angeles nail salon.

Her testimony drew renewed attention to concerns that nail salon customers could leave with more than they bargained for: infections.

But The Early Show medical correspondent Dr. Emily Senay says avoiding nail salon-borne infections could literally be in your own hands.

She explains that infections can be caused by bacteria, fungi, yeast and even viruses.

Infections can develop in nail salons if employees don't use proper hygiene or if they use unsanitary nail implements, especially if the same implements are used on different people.

Germs can be spread into minor cuts and abrasions on the skin from surfaces, unwashed hands, and unclean implements. If the skin around a fingernail is broken, or if too much of the cuticle is cut or pushed back too far during a manicure, the cuticle can be cut or separated from the nail. Infectious agents can then get into the exposed area.

Also, if an artificial nail lifts from the natural nail at the base, it can create an opening for germs to grow between the nails.

Dermatologists recommend leaving cuticles intact.

Symptoms of an infection include pain, redness, itching, pus or discoloration. If symptoms persist or get worse, see a doctor, Senay advises: You may need an antibiotic.

Nail salons and their technicians are regulated by states, usually by a cosmetology board that has licensing requirements. Those requirements could include technician training, sterilization of implements, inspections, adequate facilities, and proper hygiene.

But not all nail salons are equal in their efforts, so customers need to be aware of potentially unsanitary conditions.

Senay says the best thing you can to do avoid infections at nail salons is to bring your own implements. Various kits and implements are inexpensive, and some nail salons will even store them for you if you ask.

The Food and Drug Administration suggests asking some precautionary questions to help you decide if a nail salon is sanitary:

Are both the salon and its employees licensed?

How are nail implements sanitized? Heat sterilization is preferable, in a special device called an autoclave. Chemical sterilization with a germicide and a fungicide is also common. If that's used, make sure implements are immersed long enough to sterilize them, meaning ten minutes or more.

Is there a pre-service scrub? Both the customer and the nail technician should wash their hands thoroughly with soap before nail work begins.

Is the facility neat and clean? You can tell a lot about sanitary salon practices from appearances.

Each customer should also be given a fresh bowl of soapy water to soak their nails in, as well as a new nail file.
Pedicures also put you at risk for infection, Senay points out, adding that you shouldn't shave your legs before a pedicure, because shaving can result in nicks that can let germs in.

Footbaths can harbor germs if the water isn't changed between customers, or if the footbath isn't washed after it's emptied.

Pat McCotter

Hours of Hair
Grassroot Perspective - Nov. 21, 2005
By Paul Jacob, 11/21/2005 12:30:49 PM
When you walk into a barbershop or a hair salon, how much experience do you expect of the person who cuts your hair?

I bet the range of expectations varies widely. But unfortunately, most states regulate haircutters. Most make all haircutters go through a set training course, even if the haircutters have no intention of cutting certain types of hair. I've written about this before. Cases about haircutting regs have gone to the Supreme Court.

Haircutting should not rise to the level of a federal case. It shouldn't even rise to the level of a state case. In Oregon, I just read, the Board of Cosmetology requires 1,700 hours of training or education merely to take the exam for hair design. That's 212 eight-hour days of preparation to take an exam.

Bruce Smith of the Cascade Policy Institute puts this into perspective: "The Federal Aviation Administration," he writes, "only requires 40 hours of flight time to earn a private pilot's license." Smith argues these regs are designed not to help consumers but protect established haircutters. He believes certification would work better than licensing, allowing more newcomers to enter the occupation.

But is any law at all really necessary here? I don't demand a certificate. All I really want on the wall is a mirror. If you demand something more, then favor those stylists who post their training and pro hours, and whatever certification they've obtained.

I think they call this free enterprise.

This is Common Sense. I'm Paul Jacob.

Paul Jacob is Senior Fellow of U.S. Term Limits, a national grassroots organization committed to restoring citizen control of government by limiting the terms of politicians at the local, state and national level and a member of the Board of Advisors for Grassroot Institute of Hawaii.

This editorial is intended to provoke thought, discussion and an examination of issues. It does not reflect official policy of the Grassroot Institute of Hawaii. See the GRIH Web site at: http://www.grassrootinstitute.org/

HawaiiReporter.com reports the real news, and prints all editorials submitted, even if they do not represent the viewpoint of the editors, as long as they are written clearly. Send editorials to mailto:Malia@HawaiiReporter.com

KBCraig

Quote from: patmccotter on December 13, 2005, 03:51 AM NHFT
Hours of Hair
Grassroot Perspective - Nov. 21, 2005
By Paul Jacob, 11/21/2005 12:30:49 PM
When you walk into a barbershop or a hair salon, how much experience do you expect of the person who cuts your hair?

I bet the range of expectations varies widely. But unfortunately, most states regulate haircutters. Most make all haircutters go through a set training course, even if the haircutters have no intention of cutting certain types of hair. I've written about this before. Cases about haircutting regs have gone to the Supreme Court.

Haircutting should not rise to the level of a federal case. It shouldn't even rise to the level of a state case. In Oregon, I just read, the Board of Cosmetology requires 1,700 hours of training or education merely to take the exam for hair design. That's 212 eight-hour days of preparation to take an exam.

Bruce Smith of the Cascade Policy Institute puts this into perspective: "The Federal Aviation Administration," he writes, "only requires 40 hours of flight time to earn a private pilot's license." Smith argues these regs are designed not to help consumers but protect established haircutters. He believes certification would work better than licensing, allowing more newcomers to enter the occupation.

Mr. Smith makes a very misleading comparison. (Before I proceed: I agree that the cosmetology licensing requirements are utterly ridiculous!) Now, back to the hour requirements... "40 hours of flight time" isn't equal to 40 hours of "chair time" in styling hair. For starters, there are tests to be passed beforehand, and the 1700 hours of "ground school" before being allowed to test for a cosmetology license isn't all that different from the "ground school" hours required to pass the FAA exam.

(And yes, I do consider that a condemnation of the cosmetology system! The hour requirements are insane!)

AlanM

Licensing of any profession or trade really has nothing to do with safety or competence. It is merely a measure of control by the State. The purpose of licensing is to limit entry into the profession or trade, nothing more. I say abolish all licensing.

Kat Kanning

Lloyd Danforth

Damn Toot'in!  When I want to buy an appliance, I look to Consumer Reports, not the government.
When I need a manicure, I'll ask that lady over there "who did that nice job on your two nails?"

Kat Kanning

AlanM

If licensing insured competence, why are there so many malpractice suits against doctors. or suits against plumbers for poor workmanship, or .......................... ad infinitum

Fluff and Stuff

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on December 13, 2005, 07:46 AM NHFT
Damn Toot'in!? When I want to buy an appliance, I look to Consumer Reports, not the government.
When I need a manicure, I'll ask that lady over there "who did that nice job on your two nails?"

I tend to look at amazon.com, download.com, and google.com for reviews of products.  However, I respect your right to look at Consumer Reports.

Lloyd Danforth

Back before all that other stuff, most consumers depended on CR.

Pat K

The only true thing licensing does is make sure the  goverment gets its fee.

KBCraig

I respect the integrity of Consumer Reports' testing process, but I don't trust their judgement about what to test, and what parameters are acceptable. There have been a few times that I've read their reports on products that I happen to know about, and it was obvious that while their testing was rigorous, they didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

Kevin

Russell Kanning

I have never been a consumer reports kind of guy ...... I much prefer the governments methods.

Actually I am so scared of the system I have never been inside a nail salon.

Kat Kanning

He's scared to even touch the two manicured nails.