• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Create a Community

Started by kola, January 09, 2008, 12:53 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

kola

Quote from: Russell Kanning on January 12, 2008, 09:13 AM NHFT
Quote from: kola on January 10, 2008, 10:01 PM NHFT
What were the reasons for its failure and how come very few people participated?
It hasn't failed.
Because some people are still living in Colorado talking about a free community.

Tell me Russel, before you buy a car, do you discuss it with Kat and/or with a salesmen or do you just buy one on a whim from an internet picture? Before you take a vacation do you discuss it with anyone or talk to others who have travled to the same place or do you just hop in your car and go without any thought or plans and without a map?

Well Russell, IMO talking about something(or researching) is just the beginning to making plans and especially if one would be adhering to a committment. Do you dissaprove of me discussing this? or would you rather have me sell the farm, pack up and head for NH without looking into any factual history regarding communities that attempted to live free? 

I started this topic to gain info. But your only reply was a derogatory one and had nothing to offer pertaining to any information that a free community is even a possibility.

Russell, my only intent was to start a topic to see if there has ever been a free community anywhere in the USA. My apologies for the disruption and your disapproval of my personal views and actions have been acknowledged.

Kola

Lloyd Danforth

Russell moved Twice for the Free State Project.  He's a little sensitive. This forum is, after all,  NH centric.   

Kat Kanning

I think you totally misunderstood Russell.  He just meant that it's good that people are still wanting to do this.

Russell Kanning

my comment had nothing to do with the topic ... it was in response to you assuming that the FTP failed. You are listening to our critics and the media. :)

plus I was giving you the business because you are in CO in a TP. ;)

jaqeboy

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on January 12, 2008, 07:26 AM NHFT
They definitely did not eschew technology.  They invented a lot of things.  The idea of a circular saw has been attributed to a Shaker woman...

The Shakers were also enthusiasts for mechanisation and progressive technology, and their inventions included the circular saw (credited to a woman of the Harvard Community), the flat broom, the automatic spring, the first screw propeller, and the first washing machine - still useable in the laundry at Sabbathday Lake.

kola

Russell and Kat, I am sorry.

I thought Russell meant I was just "all talk" and avoiding any type of commitment to "free living" by staying here in Colorado and not moving to NH. That is the prob with internet discussions as it is often difficult to interpet the message by words alone. I had no idea NH had a lot of diehard folks looking to free themselves from big gov until I stumbled onto his site regarding the Browns this past summer.

Thank god I have Joe on ignore because this will be another topic he will attempt to heckle.

again, my apologies,  :)
Kola

Russell Kanning

I have particularly liked this thread. This is just about exactly what we are all about. :)

Lloyd Danforth

Leaves us all moving to Grafton, silly!

Except Kola,anyway

Kat Kanning

I like Jack's idea of creating a semi religious community.

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: Scott Roth on January 14, 2008, 07:49 PM NHFT
So, where does that leave us?

You can work through the thread and develop a charter for a possible incorporation of an associatied group, get supporters like the FSP, then look to lease/purchase unincorportated lands.
This would leave you under some county/State jurisdiction, but it could be minimalized with proper planning.

kola

Quote from: jaqeboy on January 11, 2008, 11:08 AM NHFT
Quote from: kola on January 09, 2008, 12:53 PM NHFT
My apologies if this topic has been already discussed.

Could it be a possible reality for a group of folks to create their own self reliant community, free from most of the federal and state regulations, rules etc. I would imagine they would have to pay property tax on the land. If a group purchased a bare track of land (approx 2000 acres) could they form their own "free community" or would this be totally impossible. Has this ever been attempted before anywhere in the USA? Is this too far-fetched of an idea?

Kola

There is the whole "intentional community" movement (as opposed to most towns being "unintentional", eh? or accidental?). It's a good point that you might have a more peaceful community if the people all have some basics in common (a lot of intentional communities are religious-based).

See the Intentional Community DataBase for some interesting community experiments.

As far as being independent of some existing state organization that surrounds you, that's a challenge. There have been numerous small new country projects - see: micronations as a starting point.

I missed this.  I just seen it today. Thanks for the links Jack!

Kola

Russell Kanning

I like Kola's idea of creating a community. :)

David

My first attempt to do this.  My website in the signiture line is an attempt also.   

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=6432.0

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: David on January 18, 2008, 01:30 AM NHFT
My first attempt to do this.  My website in the signiture line is an attempt also.   

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=6432.0

A little over done. One doesn't actually 'create' a community, its organic... its simply comes about.
As for a village or town, that involves incorporation and thus the decision by the founders at what individual sovereign power will be sacrificed for the benefit of all.
This might be as simple as deciding that everyone stay right during travel...
The tricky part is to instill in the founding document (charter) a sense of that anarchy.

srqrebel

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on January 22, 2008, 11:03 PM NHFT
A little over done. One doesn't actually 'create' a community, its organic... its simply comes about.

Actually, the word David used was 'start', not 'create'.  It is pretty self-evident that it can only succeed if others desire the same thing.

Most communities are indeed organic.  They come about without any conscious planning toward that end.  How much more likely for such a community to take shape when conscious thought is applied to that end, especially if sufficient thought is given to what others want, and developing a plan based on what appeals to them.

Coming from an Amish background, I know that can work spectacularly well, and it can also be a complete flop.  It depends largely on how well the proposed community meets popular demand.

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on January 22, 2008, 11:03 PM NHFT
As for a village or town, that involves incorporation and thus the decision by the founders at what individual sovereign power will be sacrificed for the benefit of all.
This might be as simple as deciding that everyone stay right during travel...
The tricky part is to instill in the founding document (charter) a sense of that anarchy.

Say what??

You can call any community whatever you want, including 'village' or 'town'.  A village is comprised of individuals who peacefully co-exist.  All that is required for this is a mutual understanding, in this case the common objective to illustrate peaceful co-existence on a voluntary basis.

A charter accomplishes exactly the opposite.  It seeks to impose the mutually agreed upon values of the founding individuals upon any individuals who succeed them.  This is a violation of the sovereignty of those individuals -- and completely foreign to a community of individuals who understand and honor the equal sovereignty of their fellows.