• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Simple way to measure the purity of silver?

Started by Eli, January 11, 2008, 08:36 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

That's a point that wasn't lost on me, Eli. The liberty dollars are definitely way marked up, but look at the $10 ones. The face value used to be a huge markup and now it's WAY below market value. I still believe liberty dollars are a scam but what does that say about FIAT money? However much of a scam liberty dollars are, it just shows that federal FIAT money is MUCH worse of a scam.

cigarlover

Why not just give the silver coins a specific weight like the minted gold coins? 1/10th 1/4 1/2 1 oz.

I'm not sure what your intentions are but if it is to use in place of frn's then people will start to follow spot price and price the coins accordingly on any given day. The drawback of course is a spike up or down in spot during the day but I think this becomes an issue even if you place a numbered value on the coin. The liberty 20.00 coin for example. What happens when spot rises to 25.00? I would think you then revert back to using the spot price during transactions. Anyway, just hgrowing some thoughts out there. I do buy gold and silver every week when I get paid. Cant stand the FRN's and theres nothing better than holding a stack of silver coins :)

Lloyd Danforth

Clinkidy...clinidy..clink! I always have some silver in my watch pocket. Along with a few .oz coins I carry two $5 LD's. The older one is 1/2 oz. and a newer 1/4 oz.  I use them as an object example of the falling value of the dollar.
When I am around friends as old as I pull 3 or 4 pieces of silver out of my pocket, clink it in their ear and say, "Remember that sound?" ;D

Ron Helwig

Quote from: cigarlover on January 15, 2008, 07:07 PM NHFT
The drawback of course is a spike up or down in spot during the day but I think this becomes an issue even if you place a numbered value on the coin.

That's why I was thinking of trying to use something like the 30 day moving average.

We could post the suggested trade price on the Shire Silver site. Maybe just update it on Sundays or something.

Eli

If I were a merchant I might use the simple expedient of previous days close + the minting premium.  This should be easy to program into a POS and to post for customers.