• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

public demonstration of waterboarding & other forms of torture

Started by yonder, January 10, 2008, 11:39 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

yonder

OK it would take some cajones, but has anyone considered doing a public demonstration of waterboarding?

Make sure to get some TV cameras there.  You're certain to get coverage.

Don't make any statements about it, don't interact with people.  It would distract them from what is going on.  Just have one or two people applying the waterboarding to a "prisoner", and others around to hand out flyers about it.  Let the interrogators and the prisoner really get into their roles which will draw in onlookers and horrify them.

All of the intellectual debate about whether or not it is torture is itself painful.  I think if people actually saw it up close for themselves they would not want to subject anyone to it.

Bonus points if you can do it on highly visible private property with permission of the property owner, thus making it much harder for the police to chase you off before you're done.

Kat Kanning

One guy in Keene was volunteering for a while, but decided against it in the end.   I think it was a wise decision.

yonder

Eli

I recently outlined a screen play to show on screen waterboarding.  Right after the AG appointee failed to say that waterboarding was torture.

J’raxis 270145

dalebert

I suggest some pundit propose to candidates that anyone who wants to make it legal should have to endure it himself for the maximum amount of time that is ever required. He can make it stop at any time by declaring that it's torture and that he will never authorize its use. The event should be filmed so he can be held to it.

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 10, 2008, 11:41 AM NHFT
One guy in Keene was volunteering for a while, but decided against it in the end.   I think it was a wise decision.

There is a huge difference between one who volunteers, and who knows it's going to a very temporary... and a real prisoner who has no idea what is in store and how long it will go on. The volunteer is missing most of the fear and uncertainty factor

Kat Kanning

I read a report from someone who tried it.  He said it didn't make any difference knowing it was temporary.

MTPorcupine3

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 14, 2008, 06:06 AM NHFT
I read a report from someone who tried it.  He said it didn't make any difference knowing it was temporary.

If he were never a real prisoner of war, how would he know whether there was a difference?

Perilous

Quote from: MTPorcupine3 on January 13, 2008, 07:56 PM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 10, 2008, 11:41 AM NHFT

There is a huge difference between one who volunteers, and who knows it's going to a very temporary... and a real prisoner who has no idea what is in store and how long it will go on. The volunteer is missing most of the fear and uncertainty factor

They did a Chinese water torture to some folks on Mythbusters in a very controlled setting with soothing friends and paramedics standing by, yet it still broke everyone who tried it.

Perilous

Kat Kanning

yonder

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 14, 2008, 01:09 PM NHFT
Yonder, your avatar is scary  :o

I think that guy could run for Mayor of Washington D.C. .... and win!