• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Beering the Nonviolent Revolution

Started by Jim Johnson, January 10, 2008, 06:53 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 11, 2008, 02:35 PM NHFT
Hey Lauren, maybe we should figure out how to brew root beer  :D
Root beer is good, but let's check out the ingredients for Mt. Dew:

• Mountains of sugar
  • Crushed no-doz tablets
  • Radioactive isotopes for green coloring
whew, looks expensive 

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: jaqeboy on January 11, 2008, 02:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on January 11, 2008, 12:09 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on January 10, 2008, 10:57 PM NHFT
Quote from: Caleb on January 10, 2008, 10:24 PM NHFT
How long before the brewskis will be ready to drink?

About two weeks.
Are you going to be back by then?

Actually it will depend on the beer we make, 4 to 7 weeks.
We will make a batch once a month.

I have upwards of 30 of those 22 ounce Fischer d'Alsace bottles that have the wire bails, ceramic tops and rubber seals that I've kept around for a buncha years. I'd gladly donate those to your project, If you'd donate a couple back with bubbly liquids inside.

That's a mighty nice offer Jack.  :)

Speaking of bottles...

One year we made hard cider that was a little too carbonated. When we opened it, it would foam over and stir up the yeast in the bottom. We drank some of it, but left a case unused.

About a year later I heard this muffled explosion...

After looking around I saw liquid leaking out of the box of cider bottles. I then realized that they had continued to carbonate and now were super pressurized.

I wanted to save the nice bottles, but was afraid to handle them cause they would be as sensitive as nitro.

I wrapped the box in towels and carefully carried them outside. I took each bottle wrapped in a towel, pointed it in a safe direction and used a bottle opener on the cap.

Man, it went off as loud as a gunshot and shot foam thirty feet.  :o Good hillbilly fun spent shooting off the hard cider.  ;D

John

Sounds like a good story to tell "the Mrs." as to why we can't keep these bottled beverages around for too long.  ;D

Tom Sawyer

Buying the ingredients for the beer... cost twice as much as last time I made beer.

Guess what? The gooberment policies are screwing up the grain market and barley is expensive.

Beer prices may be going up
Low supply threatens to raise prices, alter recipes and close brewpubs

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0104biz-hops0104.html

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 11, 2008, 07:44 PM NHFT
Quote from: jaqeboy on January 11, 2008, 02:32 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on January 11, 2008, 12:09 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on January 10, 2008, 10:57 PM NHFT
Quote from: Caleb on January 10, 2008, 10:24 PM NHFT
How long before the brewskis will be ready to drink?

About two weeks.
Are you going to be back by then?

Actually it will depend on the beer we make, 4 to 7 weeks.
We will make a batch once a month.

I have upwards of 30 of those 22 ounce Fischer d'Alsace bottles that have the wire bails, ceramic tops and rubber seals that I've kept around for a buncha years. I'd gladly donate those to your project, If you'd donate a couple back with bubbly liquids inside.

That's a mighty nice offer Jack.  :)

Speaking of bottles...

One year we made hard cider that was a little too carbonated. When we opened it, it would foam over and stir up the yeast in the bottom. We drank some of it, but left a case unused.

About a year later I heard this muffled explosion...

After looking around I saw liquid leaking out of the box of cider bottles. I then realized that they had continued to carbonate and now were super pressurized.

I wanted to save the nice bottles, but was afraid to handle them cause they would be as sensitive as nitro.

I wrapped the box in towels and carefully carried them outside. I took each bottle wrapped in a towel, pointed it in a safe direction and used a bottle opener on the cap.

Man, it went off as loud as a gunshot and shot foam thirty feet.  :o Good hillbilly fun spent shooting off the hard cider.  ;D

This happened to me with a batch of rootbeer!

Russell Kanning

Quote from: jaqeboy on January 11, 2008, 02:40 PM NHFT
Not entirely true - I had some pretty tasty pumpkin beer he made last winter.
aha .... that is good to hear 8)

Jim Johnson

The first stage of brewing is complete.  Taste my wort... taste my wort!
And now the yeast is having a party in the carboy.

Thanks to Roger, who is preforming the duties of the Brewmaster.   :ahoy:

Thank you Elizabeth for a most tasty apple cake and a yummy cheese casserole.    :angel1:

The President is becoming a true marksmen with the BB Guns.   ;D

Tom Sawyer

Yeah we had a good time... cooking on the outdoor stove  :D shooting the BB guns and visiting with everyone.  8)

The BBQ chicken was tasty... so says the pres.

dalebert

What makes beer bubbly? Is that yeast farts?

Tom Sawyer

Russell Kanning

you guys are killing me ... I am missing out on apple pie?

TackleTheWorld

Quote from: dalebert on January 14, 2008, 12:54 PM NHFT

The fermentation jug has a hose that rests in a big pot of water so gas can escape but outside germs can't get in.  The hose lets out a big burp into the water every second.  It's like the heartbeat of a large animal.  The water in the pot is becoming carbonated.  It tastes a little bitter, like seltzer.  The stuff in the fermentation jug, though is probably very sweet and carbonated as well.  Maybe I'll drink it now before that icky alcohol takes over.

KBCraig

Quote from: dalebert on January 14, 2008, 12:54 PM NHFT

Yup. Yeast eats sugar, pisses alcohol, and farts CO2.

The Brits have it right when they say drinking beer is "taking the piss".  ;D

firecracker joe

thanx for the good time rocco and i enjoyed the whole afternoon and the prez gave me a lesson on loading a co2 pistol. I think birch beer would be good to make haven't had that since i was the presidents age. and the only place i know they sell it or used to is the old country store in moultonboro. where the penny candy isnt a penny anymore  waa waa.Jim and lauren are very good hosts and once they put their propane oven together they will be able to cook for 300.  firecracker joe