• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Beering the Nonviolent Revolution

Started by Jim Johnson, January 10, 2008, 06:53 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

firecracker joe

David

Worked briefly for a company near manchester, that labeled their own birth beer soda.  They also labeled the same soda with the labels of maybe a hundred different companies.  Bethca Zebs is one of them.   ;)

Kat Kanning

Birth beer soda?  Picturing something made from amniotic fluid :puke:

TackleTheWorld

LOL
[removed even more disgusting ingredient description]

TackleTheWorld

The fermentation isn't sweet anymore, its starting to taste like beer.
Pat K hasn't shown up yet.
Where is he?

Jim Johnson

Pat!
Pat K?!
We're bottling beer this Sunday!

Pat?!

Tom Sawyer

The pres is excited to operate the bottle capper.  :D

Lloyd Danforth

Pat could be fishing in 80 degree weather

Tom Sawyer

Bottled up the beer... got to sample some, although flat it was pretty good.  :)

Pat K

;D 8) Sure I go away and they make Beer.

If I wasn't so damn manly I would cry.

41mag

Quote from: Becky Thatcher on January 10, 2008, 07:11 PM NHFT
WooHoo!!!  Looking forward to it.  We went to the liquor store tonight to check on beer making supplies.  They don't sell them there anymore.  Anyone know of a place in New Hampshire that sells beer making stuff?  The only other place I know of around here is down in Northampton.

PatK, we're making BEER!!! ;D
Jumping into the thread a bit late, but. . .

There is a place in West Lebanon that does supplies.  Seven Barrels Brew Pub.  I've never been there myself, but I do remember seeing that they carry (some?) home brewing supplies.  It's right off I-89 exit 20 (just across the river).

41mag

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 11, 2008, 07:44 PM NHFT

Speaking of bottles...

One year we made hard cider that was a little too carbonated. When we opened it, it would foam over and stir up the yeast in the bottom. We drank some of it, but left a case unused.

About a year later I heard this muffled explosion...

After looking around I saw liquid leaking out of the box of cider bottles. I then realized that they had continued to carbonate and now were super pressurized.

I wanted to save the nice bottles, but was afraid to handle them cause they would be as sensitive as nitro.

I wrapped the box in towels and carefully carried them outside. I took each bottle wrapped in a towel, pointed it in a safe direction and used a bottle opener on the cap.

Man, it went off as loud as a gunshot and shot foam thirty feet.  :o Good hillbilly fun spent shooting off the hard cider.  ;D
Sorry to hear about the wasted cider.  :(

I've been thinking of making some cider myself.  What would it take to get setup for that? 

Lloyd Danforth

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: 41mag on January 27, 2008, 07:04 AM NHFT
Quote from: Tom Sawyer on January 11, 2008, 07:44 PM NHFT

Speaking of bottles...

One year we made hard cider that was a little too carbonated. When we opened it, it would foam over and stir up the yeast in the bottom. We drank some of it, but left a case unused.

About a year later I heard this muffled explosion...

After looking around I saw liquid leaking out of the box of cider bottles. I then realized that they had continued to carbonate and now were super pressurized.

I wanted to save the nice bottles, but was afraid to handle them cause they would be as sensitive as nitro.

I wrapped the box in towels and carefully carried them outside. I took each bottle wrapped in a towel, pointed it in a safe direction and used a bottle opener on the cap.

Man, it went off as loud as a gunshot and shot foam thirty feet.  :o Good hillbilly fun spent shooting off the hard cider.  ;D
Sorry to hear about the wasted cider.  :(

I've been thinking of making some cider myself.  What would it take to get setup for that? 

We made it and had good luck all the other times.

We went to the apple orchard with our 5 gallon glass carboy and got them to fill with freshly pressed apple cider. You have to get it before they put preservatives into it.

As quickly as practical, we brought it home and got it to about 75 degrees. Put champagne yeast in a cup of water that had been boiled and quickly cooled down to about 90 degrees. After about 15 minutes pour the yeast/water into the cider and shake it up well.

Put a blow off tube from the carboy into a pot of water to make an airlock.

By the next day it should be pretty active. Let it continue to ferment until it has stopped being active and settles down and clarifies.

Then siphon out of the carboy into a clean plastic bucket with spigot. Leaving the yeast stuff in the carboy.

Into the bucket mix in 1/2 cup corn sugar that has been dissolved into 2 cups of sterile water. This sugar gives the yeast a little more food to create the carbonation in the bottle.

Fill and cap bottles. In a week or so you will see a little yeast on the bottom of the bottles and they will be carbonated.  :)

Ours was like apple champagne.  8)

The most involved and important part is cleaning and sterilizing the stuff that is used.

If you do some searching online you can find lots of info to help you.  :)

41mag

Thanks Roger!  Now all I need is all the equipment.