• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Wesley Snipes v. IRS

Started by coffeeseven, January 12, 2008, 07:04 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on February 07, 2008, 06:48 AM NHFT
www.mania.com/52673.html

If he reached such a deal in 2006, how is that he was tried in 2008?

John Edward Mercier

He didn't pay all the taxes...

money.cnn.com/2008/01/17/smbusiness/snipes_tax_trial.fsb/

coffeeseven

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/24/snipes.sentencing/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

OCALA, Florida (CNN)  -- Actor Wesley Snipes was sentenced Thursday to three years in prison for three misdemeanor counts of failing to file tax returns -- the maximum requested by federal prosecutors.
art.snipes.ap.jpg

Wesley Snipes leaves federal court after being sentenced to threes years in prison Thursday.
Click to view previous image
1 of 2
Click to view next image

"Snipes' long prison sentence should send a loud and crystal clear message to all tax defiers that if they engage in similar tax defier conduct, they face joining him," said Assistant Attorney General Nathan J. Hochman of the Justice Department's Tax Division.

Internal Revenue Service Commissioner Douglas Shulman said the law is clear on taxes.

"There is no secret formula that eliminates a person's tax obligations, nor are there any special exceptions," he said.

"The majority of Americans pay their taxes timely and accurately. Those who willfully violate the law must be held accountable."

In a civil suit, the IRS is seeking repayment of all taxes and interest from Snipes.

Federal prosecutors said the actor for nearly a decade escaped paying more than $15 million in income tax returns by sending money to overseas accounts, though they acknowledged in court that the amount is in dispute.

Before the sentencing, the actor asked the court to show mercy and offered three checks totaling $5 million as a gesture of good will.

Federal prosecutors diverted the checks to the U.S. Treasury -- which accepted the payment -- but it wasn't enough.

"It's essentially a down payment, but a fraction of what he owes," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Scotland Morris.

Snipes' attorneys -- who had argued he should get probation or house arrest -- said they will appeal the sentence.

The actor, who showed little reaction, gave a loud "wow" to the crowd as he exited the courtroom. Video Watch Snipes leave the court »

A jury convicted Snipes on the misdemeanor charges February 1, but he was acquitted of more serious felony charges of tax fraud and conspiracy. Jurors accepted his argument that he was innocently duped by errant tax advisers.

Defense attorneys in court documents suggested that to sentence Snipes harshly would be to disregard the jury's verdict.

But prosecutors, in their sentencing recommendation, said the jurors' decision "has been portrayed in the mainstream media as a 'victory' for Snipes. The troubling implication of such coverage for the millions of average citizens who are aware of this case is that the rich and famous Wesley Snipes has 'gotten away with it.' In the end the criminal conduct of Snipes must not be seen in such a light."

Snipes, who has starred in dozens of movies, including the "Blade" trilogy, "Major League" and "Murder at 1600" had received the support of many of Hollywood friends. Defense attorneys filed 39 pages of testimonials, letters from a Hollywood "Who's Who" list and also high school friends and his employees.

Actors Denzel Washington and Woody Harrelson, as well as television judges Joe Brown and Greg Mathis, submitted letters to the judge on Snipes' behalf.

In his letter, Washington said Snipes was "like a tree -- a mighty oak ... Many who know him have witnessed the fruit of his labors, have sat in his shade and even been protected by his presence. I am proud of him, proud to call him a fellow thespian and most importantly, proud to call him a friend."

Brown, who addressed the court on Thursday, likened Snipes to legendary actors, including Sidney Poitier, and said, "I have been something of a mentor to the young man."
advertisement

Another witness described how Snipes had helped train personnel from 33 airlines on safety techniques after the September 11, 2001, terror attacks, without seeking pay or media attention.

"This man is one of the most honorable men of character," said Robert Wall, CEO and president of World Black Belt, a martial arts training firm. "He's made mistakes, but I'm so impressed with the depth of his character."

feralfae

Quote from: Lloyd Danforth on January 16, 2008, 09:23 AM NHFT
I would think if I earned that kind of money and questioned anything the government did, I would be devoting a lot of $'s to orgs like WTP and  getting the  situation the Browns and others are in, into the MSM.

Mr. Snipes has not been receptive to any FIJA literature, even though we have helped to educate some pretty tough jury pools altogether successfuly  ~ from the defendant's viewpoint, of course.   :D
ff
www.fija.org

Otosan

Every year around the 15th, the gov has a high profile "tax evasion" trail to scare the masses into paying.....It just so happens to be poor Snipes' time.

srqrebel

Quote from: Scott Roth on April 25, 2008, 01:19 AM NHFT
Still ain't paying...still ain't filing!!!!!!!

Who... you or Snipes?

Caleb

I think Snipes won't accept FIJA literature because he feels that groups like FIJA took advantage of his idealism and now he's doing hard time.

If he would have refused to pay on moral grounds, I don't think he'd be in this predicament. The legal mumbo jumbo stuff doesn't win you any allies.

coffeeseven

Quote from: Caleb on April 26, 2008, 12:27 PM NHFT
If he would have refused to pay on moral grounds, I don't think he'd be in this predicament. The legal mumbo jumbo stuff doesn't win you any allies.

I respectfully disagree. Snipes was charged with not filing. Kahn & co. took it in the pipe for the goofy scheme.

J’raxis 270145

I think Snipes won't accept FIJA literature because he feels that groups like FIJA took advantage of his idealism and now he's doing hard time.

I quite agree. And FIJA is about reminding people they're allowed to inject moral reasoning into the legal mumbo jumbo that is the court system. If the law's wrong, you can acquit, regardless of how many statutes the prosecutor says you "broke."

David

I just started, not paying.  My concious is clear. 

Caleb

Have you made restitution for your years of supporting a terrorist organization?

Caleb

Naw, I wasn't trying to be harsh, just playing with David a little cause he's in love with the concept of restitution.  8)

In David's defense, he only funded terrorist organizations when they put a gun to his head.

David

Quote from: Caleb on April 27, 2008, 11:51 PM NHFT
Naw, I wasn't trying to be harsh, just playing with David a little cause he's in love with the concept of restitution.  8)

In David's defense, he only funded terrorist organizations when they put a gun to his head.
;) I didn't cause the harm, and your right, I was forced to pay it. 

feralfae

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on April 27, 2008, 01:05 AM NHFT

I quite agree. And FIJA is about reminding people they're allowed to inject moral reasoning into the legal mumbo jumbo that is the court system. If the law's wrong, you can acquit, regardless of how many statutes the prosecutor says you "broke."

Groups like FIJA? What other group is at all like FIJA?
Took advantage?  How?  I cannot think of one instance when FIJA has taken any advantage of anyone's idealism of anyone for any reason.  Not at all sure I follow your lines of reasoning in the least.
ff