• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Libertarian Matchmaker

Started by joeyforpresident, June 30, 2005, 02:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreepa

Step 1.. hang out were the women are.

Rochelle

QuoteYou know, bumper stickers that say 'Visualize World Peace'? It's making fun of that with 'Visualize Whirled Peas'.
ha! That's great. I may have to make a new picture that says that....

QuoteStep 1.. hang out were the women are.
Challenge: what do they do if whenever they go where the women go, the women run away?  >:D

Dan

Quote from: Rochelle on November 05, 2007, 07:06 AM NHFT
QuoteStep 1.. hang out were the women are.
Challenge: what do they do if whenever they go where the women go, the women run away?  >:D

Shower.

Beth221

SethCohn

Quote from: Ron Helwig on November 04, 2007, 07:47 PM NHFT
The dog food you get at grocery stores is junk. Look at the labels and if it has corn in it, you should skip it. When I switched Otis from kibbles and bits to http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/ his doody improved a lot.

I'll second the Natural Balance recommendation, though I won't comment on doodies. 
Petco sells it at a reasonable price, and we just switched our kitty to it as well.

They even made a canned food that is 'People grade', meaning worse comes to worse, you can open it and eat it yourself.  Due to an unrelated to the China thing recall - this was botulism in a human food (hot dog chili) made in the same plant, looks like it's not currently available.
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/eatables/home.html

I did see this in my local supermarket in the book aisle:

The Dog Ate It: Cooking for Yourself and Your Four-Legged Friends

Won't work for vegetarians, but for the rest of us, you can cook one meal, give some to your dog, and eat the rest yourself - and then you KNOW it's good food.

And to bring this back to the singles theme: invite your date over for dinner, and impress her when you serve up 3 plates: 1 for her, 1 for you, 1 for the dog.  A sure fire way to show her you care enough about her to serve the very best.

Beth221

My dog is now on a RAW diet, yep you guess it, raw ground meat, muscle, organs, and bones, and raw greens.  She can not digest cooked fats anymore, no matter what dog food i tried, three weeks on aunt jeni's and she is a NEW dog!

my floor and rugs thank me!

www.auntjeni.com

I can teach anyone how to read and decipher the labels on dog foods, be careful of the 4D, which will sometimes be listed as just that, it means it has dead, diseased, dying and/or disabled.. I would never eat meat like that, so why feed it to my dog?  For a cooked dog or cat food, I recommend Flint River, its baked, and not extruded, which expands in the stomach. 

A good read : Pet Food Report annual report out by "animal wellness" 

The Vet Tech has spoken!  Beth

planetaryjim

Matchmaker, matchmaker....

I'll be in NH from 2 Jan to 9 Jan.  Would love to meet any or all of you folks.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Beth221 on November 11, 2007, 08:43 PM NHFT
My dog is now on a RAW diet, yep you guess it, raw ground meat, muscle, organs, and bones, and raw greens.  She can not digest cooked fats anymore, no matter what dog food i tried, three weeks on aunt jeni's and she is a NEW dog!

my floor and rugs thank me!

www.auntjeni.com

I can teach anyone how to read and decipher the labels on dog foods, be careful of the 4D, which will sometimes be listed as just that, it means it has dead, diseased, dying and/or disabled.. I would never eat meat like that, so why feed it to my dog?  For a cooked dog or cat food, I recommend Flint River, its baked, and not extruded, which expands in the stomach. 

A good read : Pet Food Report annual report out by "animal wellness" 

The Vet Tech has spoken!  Beth

I had my dogs on the raw food or barf, (bones and raw food), diet for about 4 years in Maryland they did great.  I don't know where to get meat for them here, our neighbor use to give us his left over deer bones and stuff.   Now Rick's german shepard is doing horrible, trouble walking, senile acting. 

We used to buy bulk natural chicken necks and backs, grind it up and mix it with blended carrots and kale.  Were those the right ingredients or was I missing some stuff they need?  My pit/lab lost too much weight on it.  I need to find a cheap place to get them meat again before Rick's dog is crippled.

Your right Beth, Rick's dog would hop around and act like a puppy now she acts so weak and old. :-\  Any suggestions? :-\

KBCraig

Rainey, how long has it been since that German Shepherd changed diets, and how old is he? GSDs are not long-lived dogs, and they are prone to crippling disorders like hip dysplasia, which can onset quickly between ages 6-10. A GSD that dies at age 10 is considered to have lived a long full life; 8 years is not an uncommon lifespan for GSDs, and any GSD living beyond 12 years should be treated like a 100+ human.

EJinCT

So this thread has gone to the dogs I see...

:duh:

Sorry, had to...  ;D

How fitting.

Raineyrocks

Quote from: KBCraig on December 23, 2007, 03:55 AM NHFT
Rainey, how long has it been since that German Shepherd changed diets, and how old is he? GSDs are not long-lived dogs, and they are prone to crippling disorders like hip dysplasia, which can onset quickly between ages 6-10. A GSD that dies at age 10 is considered to have lived a long full life; 8 years is not an uncommon lifespan for GSDs, and any GSD living beyond 12 years should be treated like a 100+ human.

We changed her diet when we moved here so about 1 and1/2 years.  She's 13 years old.  My Nocona, ( black german shepherd), was almost 16 when he passed away.  I'm just thinking maybe she's has gotten so much worse as soon as we switched her diet to regular dog food that maybe that's her problem not her age.  Even though your right it could be her age but it just seems coincidental that she got all of these new problems as soon as we moved here and switched her diet, doesn't it? :-\

Raineyrocks

Quote from: EJinNH on December 23, 2007, 10:11 AM NHFT
So this thread has gone to the dogs I see...

:duh:

Sorry, had to...  ;D

How fitting.

:biglaugh:   Your so right this really fits the saying "has gone to the dogs".   ;D

Beth221

giving a calcium suppliment?
giving an oil suppliment, like fish oil, or wheat germ oil?  Both oils are good for arthritus.

www.auntjeni.com is what i give my dog, maybe there is a supplier in NH.  Or you could as a natural pet shop to carry it, like that fancy dog shop in N conway, arnt you near there??

steamed squah is excellent summer or zucc, pumpin is good, but can be too filling, great for loose poops, carrots are good for weight gain, give organ meat along with the chicken necks and backs, makes it a "whole food" rather than just muscle meat, and bone.  Heart, liver and other chicken or turkey or beef parts are good. feed raw bones, like cow or chicken necks, or wings, after a meal.  2oz per 5 lbs of food, is about what a dog should get, some need more, some need less.  Garlick is a good antibacterial to grind up with the raw meat. 
Have a local butcher?  they usually throw out marrow bones because no one cooks with them anymore, cow or goat, sheep, lamb neck bones are good, and chicken soup bones, (chicken bones, raw) are all good.  LAMB is the highest in fat, so grind up some lamb, for that skinny puppy! 

you can add sardines, (in water) to the dogs food.  Wellness is a good overall natural dog food, or Ultra, or Nutro, or Flint river.  but in my opinion, all are high in carbohydrates, which are NOT found in a wild dogs diet.  For extra protien, hard boiled eggs, or raw egg yokes, not the whites, it does someting funny with biotin in dogs, cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese is all good.  Steamed spinnach is good too.  have to cook and make a paste out of veggies, because dogs dont digest veggies well, so get out the food processor.

does this help at all?

(excuse the bad spelling.. too lazy for spell check, the gig is up, hooked on phonics did NOT work for me..)

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Beth221 on December 23, 2007, 07:47 PM NHFT
giving a calcium suppliment?
giving an oil suppliment, like fish oil, or wheat germ oil?  Both oils are good for arthritus.

www.auntjeni.com is what i give my dog, maybe there is a supplier in NH.  Or you could as a natural pet shop to carry it, like that fancy dog shop in N conway, arnt you near there??

steamed squah is excellent summer or zucc, pumpin is good, but can be too filling, great for loose poops, carrots are good for weight gain, give organ meat along with the chicken necks and backs, makes it a "whole food" rather than just muscle meat, and bone.  Heart, liver and other chicken or turkey or beef parts are good. feed raw bones, like cow or chicken necks, or wings, after a meal.  2oz per 5 lbs of food, is about what a dog should get, some need more, some need less.  Garlick is a good antibacterial to grind up with the raw meat. 
Have a local butcher?  they usually throw out marrow bones because no one cooks with them anymore, cow or goat, sheep, lamb neck bones are good, and chicken soup bones, (chicken bones, raw) are all good.  LAMB is the highest in fat, so grind up some lamb, for that skinny puppy! 

you can add sardines, (in water) to the dogs food.  Wellness is a good overall natural dog food, or Ultra, or Nutro, or Flint river.  but in my opinion, all are high in carbohydrates, which are NOT found in a wild dogs diet.  For extra protien, hard boiled eggs, or raw egg yokes, not the whites, it does someting funny with biotin in dogs, cottage cheese, or ricotta cheese is all good.  Steamed spinnach is good too.  have to cook and make a paste out of veggies, because dogs dont digest veggies well, so get out the food processor.

does this help at all?

(excuse the bad spelling.. too lazy for spell check, the gig is up, hooked on phonics did NOT work for me..)

Thanks Beth, this does help out a real lot! :)  I'm going to print this out for next time I go shopping.  I don't think there are any butchers around here but I know there is an organic deer farm and maybe I can get her some stuff from there.

Beth221

look in the phone book, you may be suprised where butchers are located, there is a tun in NH, because of the hunting community.  ask your local food store, they will sell bones real cheep too.

io have a list of good websites for animal health, if you are interested.