• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Building Mark's House

Started by Tom Sawyer, January 18, 2008, 11:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Sawyer

Got to meet Jackson today...  :)

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on April 05, 2008, 05:30 PM NHFT
Got to meet Jackson today...  :)

I don't know what it is, but I haven't met an unhappy fsp baby yet.   ;D

Kat Kanning

dalebert

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on April 05, 2008, 05:42 PM NHFT
I don't know what it is, but I haven't met an unhappy fsp baby yet.   ;D

I've noticed that too. The NH kids all seem great. I think it's a testament to home-schooling.

TackleTheWorld

Leaving the construction site yesterday we saw a motorcycle down and a paramedics around a heap in the ditch. 
Good news, he didn't die and he's got quite a story to tell the grandkids:

Biker survives collision with turkey

By SCOTT BROOKS
New Hampshire Union Leader Staff
22 hours, 17 minutes ago

A motorcyclist broke six ribs and a shoulder blade yesterday when a wild turkey flew into him, knocking him off his bike, according to police and the man's family.

State police said the turkey flew of the woods and struck the biker, Frank Grimes, as he cruised up Route 12 in Westmoreland. Grimes, 62, of Keene, was flown by helicopter to Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, where he was listed in "satisfactory" condition last night.

"From what he told me, that he remembers, he was hit on the right-hand side. He didn't know by what," said his daughter, Michelle Grimes, of West Lebanon. "He had no idea until somebody told him."

Police said they suspected Grimes suffered a head injury in the crash. His daughter said she was concerned about that possibility. She was still waiting for a radiologist to see him last night.

The turkey did not survive, according to Lu Farnsworth, who passed the bird on her way to work early yesterday afternoon. Farnsworth works at Mac's Market on Route 12 in Westmoreland.

"He was big, and he was on the side of the road with his tail feathers out," Farnsworth said. "He was a good size. Probably 30 pounds."

Grimes works for the city of Keene's water department, his daughter said. His title is backflow prevention director.

Investigators said Grimes was heading north on Route 12, toward the village of Westmoreland. The turkey zoomed out from the woods to the west side of the road, they said.

Grimes was reportedly conscious when the police arrived at the scene at 11:41 a.m. He was wearing a helmet, police said.

Michelle Grimes said her father is an experienced rider. In addition to the helmet, she said, he was wearing gloves, boots and a motorcycle jacket.

"We were surprised," she said, "because my dad's been riding motorcycles since he was 10."

Turkeys rarely fly into traffic in New Hampshire, according to Ted Walski, a New Hampshire Fish and Game biologist who specializes in wild turkeys. It's been 33 years since the state stepped in to restore the wild turkey population, and Walski said he could remember just one accident in all that time: a 1999 crash that killed a motorcyclist on Route 9 in Nelson.

Officials estimate there are more than 36,000 wild turkeys in New Hampshire. A typical adult hen weighs between 9 and 11 pounds, according to Walski. Adult male turkeys may weigh 17 to 20 pounds.

They tend to fly slowly, Walski said.

"I think most people are safe from the turkeys," he said. "Mostly, they're crossing the road on the ground. You might get a glancing blow on the bumper or something like that."

SethCohn

Quote from: TackleTheWorld on April 07, 2008, 10:09 PM NHFT
The turkey did not survive, according to Lu Farnsworth, who passed the bird on her way to work early yesterday afternoon. Farnsworth works at Mac's Market on Route 12 in Westmoreland.

"He was big, and he was on the side of the road with his tail feathers out," Farnsworth said. "He was a good size. Probably 30 pounds."

In response, Rep. Kjellman quickly began to put together her new bill, requiring turkeys to be fitted with helmets, and safety vests.  Mass education camps to teach turkeys what 'right of way' is will begin as soon as the bill is signed into law.  Gov. Lynch had no comment, though his wife, Dr. Susan Lynch was seen eating a turkey sandwich at lunch.

TackleTheWorld

I am dancing the happy dance this evening. 
:boogie:
We got power at Mark's house and my circuits are working! 

Thanks to the crew, especially Jim for doing the heavy drilling, and Kat for taking the tedious jobs.
:tiphat:
There were a few tense moments at first, then we realized  Roger was crunching wint-o-green lifesavers in the dark office.
;D

Pat K

Tom Sawyer

Yeah, pretty extensive wiring job. They'll have an outlet within reach everywhere they could want one. 8)

Kat Kanning

That poor cyclist - he didn't even get a turkey dinner out of it!

Kat Kanning

Yay on the power!  No explosions  :blush:

Tom Sawyer

Firecracker Joe, Rocco, and CJ stopped down and helped out.  :) 8)

We now have gravel down instead of the mud bog that had developed... thought we might lose someone in the quicksand.

Beautiful day, springtime in the Shire.   :D

Mark_FTL

And the trim work is masterful!

Tom Sawyer

Good thing Jim is doing all the hard stuff...  ;)

Jim Johnson

Lauren lost her shoe in the mud twice today.  

The electrical is 90% done.   :)