• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Building Mark's House

Started by Tom Sawyer, January 18, 2008, 11:42 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on May 02, 2008, 05:33 PM NHFT
Hydronic floor heating is in full operation.   :Flaming_Emoticon_by_The_Deser

Ew! If that's what I think it is, I want that. How hard is it to add that to an existing wood stove in a house? I'm looking at houses now and I'll prolly want to make some mods once I find something.

Tom Sawyer

The Most Valuable Player Award goes to Jim Johnson.
Without Jim this show would be nowhere.

Of course, it was really nice that he got another orbital sander and vacuum so I don't end up with beige lung from breathing sawdust.  ;D
But, of course, he got the bigger model with a longer hose... bastard, is always makin' me feel inferior.  :( ;D

Thanks Jim.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: dalebert on May 02, 2008, 05:40 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on May 02, 2008, 05:33 PM NHFT
Hydronic floor heating is in full operation.   :Flaming_Emoticon_by_The_Deser

Ew! If that's what I think it is, I want that. How hard is it to add that to an existing wood stove in a house? I'm looking at houses now and I'll prolly want to make some mods once I find something.

You would be looking for a house that needs new flooring.  When you put in hydronic heat you get to put in new subfloor.

dalebert

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on May 02, 2008, 06:07 PM NHFT
You would be looking for a house that needs new flooring.  When you put in hydronic heat you get to put in new subfloor.

Oh ok. Well if I don't want to do that, can that go into a baseboard or something?

Jim Johnson

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on May 02, 2008, 05:46 PM NHFT
The Most Valuable Player Award goes to Jim Johnson.
Without Jim this show would be nowhere.

Of course, it was really nice that he got another orbital sander and vacuum so I don't end up with beige lung from breathing sawdust.  ;D
But, of course, he got the bigger model with a longer hose... bastard, is always makin' me feel inferior.  :( ;D

Thanks Jim.

Your welcome, No breaks, back on your head.   ;D

Jim Johnson

Quote from: dalebert on May 02, 2008, 06:31 PM NHFT
Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on May 02, 2008, 06:07 PM NHFT

Oh ok. Well if I don't want to do that, can that go into a baseboard or something?

Heating the baseboard is baseboard heating (cold feet).
Heating air and blowing it around is forced air heating (cold feet).
Heating the floor, that's nice, that's hydronic heating (warm feet).   ;)

dalebert

Yeah, I know, but I'm just wondering about that gutter thing I had when I was in Boston. It seemed pretty good. Seems like it won't dry the air as badly and it also seems like a good way to distribute heat from a fire and use the heat more efficiently rather than send most of it up the chimney.

Jim Johnson

Quote from: dalebert on May 02, 2008, 08:23 PM NHFT
I'm just wondering about that gutter thing I had when I was in Boston.

What's that your saying?

dalebert

Quote from: Facilitator to the Icon on May 02, 2008, 08:46 PM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on May 02, 2008, 08:23 PM NHFT
I'm just wondering about that gutter thing I had when I was in Boston.

What's that your saying?

Don't worry. It's not contagious.  ;D

No anyway, I'm just saying that porc manor had a nice wood stove but it only heated one area of the house and I've heard of liquid systems that pump the heat around the house. I think the idea is to distribute it evenly and also grab a lot more of the heat before it goes up the chimney so it's more efficient. Liquid distribution seems like it's better than blowing hot air around, both in terms of working better because liquid heats up so readily and also because I suspect it doesn't dry out the air so badly. There was a sort of gutter type baseboard with a slit in the top in my Boston apt when I lived there a little while and apparently it had some pipe where hot liquid flowed through it. The gutter was just there presumably so you don't touch the pipe with a bare foot and burn yourself.

Puke

Couldn't you just get a dust mask?

Cyro

Quote from: Puke on May 03, 2008, 10:02 AM NHFT

They're not that effective when you're being sprayed in the face with the stuff. They're really just designed for when the dust's floating about in the air.

Russell Kanning

hmmm taking heat from fire with water and distributing it throughout the building ... that is a new concept .... I wonder if PatK or PatMc know anything about that ;)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Puke on May 03, 2008, 10:02 AM NHFT

Don't tell Jim that, then he wouldn't buy me a cool gadget to play with!

But seriously, the vacuum pulls air through holes in the sandpaper and virtually no dust in the air and all over everything including us. Probably have dump 10 gallons of sawdust from the vacuums. No more eyes, lungs and sinuses full of irritant.

Alot less clean up after also.

Puke

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on May 03, 2008, 05:27 PM NHFT
Alot less clean up after also.

There is that. Sawdust is a bitch to get out of clothes. I didn't think of that.   :P

David

This thread needs to be relabeled Jackson's house.   ;)
Hey Dale, a great investment/employment would be a porchouse in Keene.   ;D >:D