• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

This guy drowned and was dead for an hour before being revived!

Started by Raineyrocks, January 19, 2008, 12:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Raineyrocks

This has been a fear/thought of mine for a long time.  What if they don't work on you long enough to bring you back to life ?  Or what if somehow you come back to life and your in one of those morgue chambers and suffocate to death for real?    :-\

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml%3Bjsessionid%3DHZTO2AOQIEPNPQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2008/01/18/wswimmer118.xml

Revived swimmer was dead for an hour

By Sebastien Berger in Johannesburg
Last Updated: 1:43am GMT 19/01/2008

A man has survived after his heart stopped beating for up to an hour when he drowned while swimming in the sea near Cape Town.

John Deeks, 35, who was born in South Africa but has British citizenship, got into difficulties while swimming in unusually heavy seas off Glencairn.

A shark spotter on shore raised the alarm when he saw Mr Deeks's lifeless body floating face down.
advertisement

Two men, who have not been identified, brought Mr Deeks back to the beach.

He was not breathing and had no heartbeat, but a volunteer doctor with the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI), South Africa's lifeboat service, began cardio-pulmonary resuscitation and advanced life support paramedics took him to hospital.

His heartbeat was only restored almost an hour later, and he spent several days on a ventilator before making an apparently full recovery.

Mr Deeks, an architectural technician, from Colliers Wood, south London, returned to his mother's house in Glencairn, yesterday.

He said that being brought back from the dead "feels great".

"From the point of surviving something like that it's fantastic. They said I was clinically dead. Apparently people in these situations do survive, but you have got about a four per cent chance, so I was very lucky.

"Actually I don't remember anything of the event. Basically I went out for a swim and the sea was very rough and the tide was very high and I got into difficulties. I must have got pulled over by a wave and caught in a current."

He put his survival down to being a healthy person with a healthy lifestyle "and a bit of luck".

Craig Lambinon, a spokesman for the NSRI, said resuscitation efforts began between 20 and 30 minutes after Mr Deeks's heart stopped beating.

Mr Lambinon said that a woman in Alaska was known to have been revived after spending 40 minutes under water, but Mr Deeks's survival was at the extreme end of human possibility.

"It's not unheard of but to recover to that extent that quickly, it's very seldom that that happens.

"There's normally some sort of therapy that's needed, for things like slurred speech, muscular abnormalities, neurological problems, sometimes for weeks, sometimes for months, sometimes for years."

He put Mr Deeks's survival down to a combination of factors. "It's assumed that the cold water plays a part. It would have been relatively cold, 14 or 15 Celsius," he said, adding that the expert care he received the moment he left the water was vital.

"All of those people and all of those systems all worked the way they would in an ideal world. He had luck on his side, that's really what saved his life."

Mr Deeks's girlfriend, Rosie Avalon, 21, from Southend, Essex, has flown to South Africa to be with him.