• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

solar houses

Started by Jared, January 22, 2008, 04:41 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared

does anyone know if solar power is practical when building a house in nh? if so, how?

Barterer

I've read The Passive Solar House book which outlines a simple way to make your house a sort of heat sink, and balance all the glass area, insulation, ventilation, etc. such that your heating and cooling costs are greatly reduced.  It doesn't cover electricity, though.

yonder

http://www.nrel.gov/gis/images/us_csp_annual_may2004.jpg (image is too big for me to display inline)

A photovoltaic array in New Hampshire is not going to yield nearly as much solar power per day as the same array in the southwest.  But it is still worthwhile.

It will be far more critical for you, though, to start living more efficiently now.  This is going to be a bigger challenge for you than someone living in the southwest. 

However...
http://www.netpilot.ca/aes/images/US_wind_power_map.png

New Hampshire is a great place to set up a windmill.

Pat McCotter

Quote from: yonder on January 22, 2008, 06:13 PM NHFT

New Hampshire is a great place to set up a windmill.

NIMBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KBCraig

Some folks here are a little biased towards hydro.  ;)

Pat McCotter

yonder

Quote from: KBCraig on January 23, 2008, 06:24 PM NHFT
Some folks here are a little biased towards hydro.  ;)

But hydro kills fish, and I like fish.

Windmills may or may not kills birds.  Most birds I like but if it gets a few crows, bluejays, and mockingbirds I'm not going to lose any sleep.

MaineShark

Quote from: yonder on January 22, 2008, 06:13 PM NHFTNew Hampshire is a great place to set up a windmill.

Until it gets struck by lightning and melts half the mechanism...

Solar is possible.  Very long return on investment, and a lot of maintenance (batteries require maintenance, and panels need to be snow-free).  Being fully off-grid with solar electric is nearly impossible for most people, but with a large enough initial investment, can be done. (by "fully off-grid," I don't mean "well, we can supply all our electric needs, because we use a propane powered refrigerator" - using propane makes you on-grid)

Some of us are also working on CHP (combined heat and power) systems that would run off wood, and supply both your heating and your electrical needs for a typical house.  Actually, the basic technology could be integrated with most heat sources, so it could be adapted for other areas; wood just happens to be readily available in NH.

Joe

MaineShark

yonder

But what about the really tiny fish?

MaineShark

Quote from: yonder on January 24, 2008, 11:23 AM NHFTBut what about the really tiny fish?

Believe me, you design the intake to exclude them.  You do not want fish getting into your turbine.

Joe

KBCraig

Quote from: MaineShark on January 24, 2008, 02:26 PM NHFT
Quote from: yonder on January 24, 2008, 11:23 AM NHFTBut what about the really tiny fish?

Believe me, you design the intake to exclude them.  You do not want fish getting into your turbine.

<homer>Mmmm.... suuuushiii...</homer>

MobileDigit

Do you have any links regarding hydro power?

Pat McCotter

KBCraig

Pat McC., do you have any ideas about flywheel effect in micro-to-small hydro?

I realize the starting inertia is a problem if the system ever stalls, but it seems to my uneducated brain that consistent RPM (meaning smooth output levels) is a good thing. Flywheel effect helps in that regard.