• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

We need a best price web site.

Started by porcupine kate, January 23, 2008, 08:25 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

porcupine kate

I'm sitting here putting all the pricing, size and unit cost of my latest shopping trip into a spread sheet so I can work on spending less on my groceries.  It would be great if we had a site to list prices so everyone can compare them.  Maybe a large group spread sheet.  I think this would expand on Dave's idea to find deals and help us all save money.

sandm000

Ron Helwig

That looks interesting, but I'd like to hear reviews from people I know.

Does anyone here use that website?

mappchik

I used the grocery game for about 6 months, end of 2006- first of 2007. I did save money on cleaning supplies, health & beauty products, and especially on cereal, snacks, juices and other lunch type items.

Had it for two stores in my area - Publix & Kroger. The two stores had different start days for sales (Sun/Wed), and the site updates for both were usually done about the time the Publix sale was over. Was a pain, since Publix often does Buy One, Get One offers on most weeks.

You really, REALLY have to keep track of the coupons. And make sure you have enough storage space, because you WILL be buying in quantity many weeks.

We've made a switch to less processed food, and more trips to the farmers market over the last year, and I cook breakfast more often now, so we don't go through cereal quite as quickly.

For juice boxes, crackers, yogurt/pudding cups, and the few household and bath supplies I don't buy as store brands, I just track the sales myself. It doesn't make economic sense for us to pay the fee every other month.

mappchik

Quote from: porcupine kate on January 23, 2008, 08:25 PM NHFT
I'm sitting here putting all the pricing, size and unit cost of my latest shopping trip into a spread sheet so I can work on spending less on my groceries.  It would be great if we had a site to list prices so everyone can compare them.  Maybe a large group spread sheet.  I think this would expand on Dave's idea to find deals and help us all save money.

I'm trying to remember which site I found a couple of good templates for price books.... if it's available as spreadsheet, and not just print & make a notebook form, it might be able to be set up in Google spreadsheets? Anybody know if you can do public/group access for editing there?

-------
The couple of frugal living sites I read both have links to this site for the price book spreadsheet. One person is using it via Google. http://www.uncommonwaytowealth.com/excel-finance-spreadsheets/grocery-savings-spreadsheet-price-book/

Ah-Hah! Found the one I was looking for, from cheap cooking:
http://www.cheapcooking.com/pricebook.htm

picaro

Yes, you can group edit spreadsheets with Google.    AFAICT, you must invite people first.   If you want less initial complication, a wiki might work.

Market Basket seems to sell consistently cheaper staple items.   Only problem is that they are all 15-20 minutes outside of Manchester.

The MB self-rising freezer pizzas for $3.33 are delicious once you add some canned tomatoes and chicken breast as toppings.   I quit ordering pizza and avoided paying that damned 8% restaurant tax.

Certain bulk items like flour, rice, honey, etc. I buy from Sam's Club.  (Though hope to start grinding my own flour soon.)

I'd love to have an Aldi in NH.  They are owned by the same group of German Mennonite farmers as Trader Joes.   They sell mostly generics at hefty discounts.