• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Activist Outreach Program

Started by SamIam, January 24, 2008, 01:06 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

SamIam

Hey everyone,

I was listening to the boarder checkpoint guy on FTL a while back. I had an idea I'm finally getting around to writing up.

I occasionally hear about activists from around the country who do various forms of activism and/or civil disobedience. I'd like to create an outreach program to contact these people and talk to them about the FSP. I think hearing from other activists doing similar things in NH with the support network that's already in place would be encouraging. I think the impact on the FSP could be tremendous. Can you imagine what would begin to happen if we could get a few of these people excited enough to move? As more and more of these stories start coming out of NH, I think it would start to draw national attention to the FSP.   

I'm thinking start simple with an email list. It needs a name; I'll create the email subscribe list, and register the domain. Would anyone be willing to look into these activist's stories? It would mean putting a short email together describing what they do, listing whatever you researched on the person, along with his/her contact info. Then the people on the list can read the email, and decide if they want to write the person.

I'm sending the guy that refuses to produce ID at the checkpoints an email. I will write about what I do, the FSP, why I'm moving, and I'll ask him to consider it. If I received email from several other activists doing similar things while working together, I would give the request serious consideration.

What do you guys think? Anyone want to give the organization a name and send out the first activist profile? This could be great for someone wanting to work on something behind the scenes. Your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are greatly appreciated. . .

yonder

Quote from: SamIam on January 24, 2008, 01:06 AM NHFT
I occasionally hear about activists from around the country who do various forms of activism and/or civil disobedience. I'd like to create an outreach program to contact these people and talk to them about the FSP. I think hearing from other activists doing similar things in NH with the support network that's already in place would be encouraging. I think the impact on the FSP could be tremendous. Can you imagine what would begin to happen if we could get a few of these people excited enough to move?

You mean like the radical Christians who protest at soldier's funerals?  Or the ones who think that Ted Kennedy isn't liberal enough?

A lot of these groups aren't for freedom, just a different flavor of tyranny.  Be careful!

Kat Kanning

Why would you assume he was talking about those people?  It's like you're pulling stuff out of thin air.

srqrebel

This is a fabulous idea, Sam!  Know your target market, and appeal to them like there's no tomorrow.

The news media abounds with stories of people whose rights have been blatantly violated by the government, and know it -- such as the recent police invasion of a residence at Franklin Pierce University.  I am willing to at least try to locate such individuals whenever I come across such a story, and refer them to us :)

In that particular case, I was able to contact one of those individuals and invite them to this forum.  This individual seemed quite interested in getting in touch with us, but I dropped the ball by not adequately following up.

How does one go about getting the email info of such individuals?  Would it be easier to locate them by address or phone number?

yonder

Quote from: Kat Kanning on January 24, 2008, 08:31 AM NHFT
Why would you assume he was talking about those people?  It's like you're pulling stuff out of thin air.

No, I'm pulling straight from the original post, which didn't offer any sort of distinction about what sort of protesters would be targeted for this.  I think it is very important to make distinctions about who you try to bring to NH, otherwise you could end up with 500+ hardcore pinko communist activists moving into town working against many of the things that you're going to be working for.

Kat Kanning

srqrebel

I try not to assume bad things about others.  If bad things are true about them, they tend to surface soon enough, so no need for me to assume.

While we may not see the entire value system of those we 'target', they can readily see who we are and everything we stand for.  Anyone whose values are as out of sync with ours as you describe, will be absolutely turned off by our overall direction -- thus will not even pose a problem.

For example, the ACLU supports freedom of religion -- yet fundamentalist christians tend to be decisively at odds with them because they also support certain other freedoms :)

yonder

Quote from: srqrebel on January 24, 2008, 11:48 AM NHFT
For example, the ACLU supports freedom of religion

Well, as long as you aren't actually a Christian, anyway.  The ACLU does have a sort of double-standard in what rights it will defend.

SamIam

Quote from: yonder on January 24, 2008, 07:37 AM NHFT
You mean like the radical Christians who protest at soldier's funerals?  Or the ones who think that Ted Kennedy isn't liberal enough?
A lot of these groups aren't for freedom, just a different flavor of tyranny.  Be careful!

I'm out to educate and enlighten people to the idea of freedom and liberty. As a individual, I hope you would think critically about ay given situation, and decide for yourself what you believe and who you choose to contact. I believe the free market would do a fine job of regulating the amount of outreach based on someone's actions, values, and principles. Here's a perfect example of want I'm talking about:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080125/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_britain_castle

If this guy looses his castle, granted he's in the UK, he would be looking for a new home. I'm sure there are a handful of people in NH who would like to start a property tax revolt. Guys like this could be a catalyst.

I simply don't have time to run this right now. However, I can support it logistically, get things setup, and write a few emails. When it comes to contacting these individuals, it's going to take some research. It will likely mean calling, searching the web, to get whatever you can. The contact information would need to be verified, so the efforts of others end up with their intended recipient. It may mean you contact them first to confirm receipt. The email out to the activists would contain the basic background, and anything you learned in your search for his/her contact info.

I think there are a lot of great activists out there, and very few of them realize what's happening in NH. And yes, they may not be perfectly principled libertarians or Free-marketeers out of the box, but that will come with time.

If your interested in driving this, let me know, and let's get it rolling.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: yonder on January 24, 2008, 01:05 PM NHFT
Quote from: srqrebel on January 24, 2008, 11:48 AM NHFT
For example, the ACLU supports freedom of religion

Well, as long as you aren't actually a Christian, anyway.  The ACLU does have a sort of double-standard in what rights it will defend.

Bullshit.

http://aclu.org/religion/frb/29578prs20070409.html
http://aclu.org/religion/frb/29578prs20070409.html
http://aclu.org/religion/frb/28163prs20070129.html
http://aclu.org/religion/schools/27673prs20061212.html

That's what I found in about five minutes of searching the ACLU site. If anything, what you're seeing is simply a form of selection bias. The U.S. is overwhelmingly Christian, so most religious oppression in this country is caused by Christians or Christian groups, not done to them.