• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

doing a mini move this summer

Started by bad_cab, January 29, 2008, 11:23 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

bad_cab

I am new to this form, but I hang out on the FTL forms all the time. Anyway I have decided to get serious about making the move to NH. I am currently a collage student so this is my current plan. Get a few hundred dollars together and when the semester ends get a bus ticket to NH find a factory job or something and work the summer in NH. I would have to find a cheep little apartment and a good ($10-$15) paying job. Then work the summer If all goes well I should have a little extra capital to bring home with me and if all goes really well then I would stay in NH.

While I am sure I could do this on my own it always makes it easier to have a little help. So if any of you know of a good place to start, a factory that hires a lot during the summer or a place with low cost housing let me know. Please keep in mind that my transportation will be limited to bicycle so distance is an issue. If anyone has any information they think could help or could point me in the right direction please post. 

J’raxis 270145

KBCraig

Welcome, and thanks for your plan to move!

Small side rant: I'm dismayed that a "collage" student spells so poorly, and I encourage you to work on that before you apply to jobs in NH. I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi, just offering constructive criticism to help you with your move. I want you to land a big fat high-paying job in NH, not just temp work!

Kevin

bad_cab

Quote from: KBCraig on January 30, 2008, 03:38 AM NHFT
Welcome, and thanks for your plan to move!

Small side rant: I'm dismayed that a "collage" student spells so poorly, and I encourage you to work on that before you apply to jobs in NH. I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi, just offering constructive criticism to help you with your move. I want you to land a big fat high-paying job in NH, not just temp work!

Kevin

You make a good point, I would use a spell check to apply for jobs, but forms?

porcupine kate

Welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to meeting you here this summer.

I recommend you come up here for ProcFest in June.
The festival is June 9th to the 15th 2008.
http://freestateproject.org/festival/
Bring friends for the week It is one of the best vacations you will every go on. 
It's pretty cheap if you can split the cost of the campsite.  Also your friends could drive you instead of a bus ticket.

What are you studying?  Is there a way you could research paying internships here in NH?  This would be great help in starting a career if you want move here after you graduate.

Have you looked into transferring colleges?  That way you wouldn't have to go home. ;D

I would also recommend looking for summer work as soon as possible.  Could you work in other fields like retail?  Figure out how to broaden your range of skills and work will be easier to find.

Life would be easier if you could manage to come up with a car.  I would recommend Manchester if you don't have an automobile.  Public transportation is limited here in New Hampshire so check on this as you look for work and housing. I don't know about the seacoast area at all But it may also be a good are to check since it is closer to Boston.

My two cents on the spelling and posting.
Forums are designed as a place to share ideas.  Those ideas become and archive and a reference people use.  This forum is on of the biggest places people come to look when they think of moving to NH.  I always remember that anyone can search the posting and why not make myself and the forum look good.
Kate

Lloyd Danforth

There is a pretty good bus system that connect many towns in the seacoast  area

bad_cab

Quote from: ivyleague28477 on January 31, 2008, 10:03 PM NHFT
Manchester or any other "big" city might be best if your only transportation is a bicycle or the bus system.

I don't know about factory work, but there is probably a wide variety of work in a city, as Kate suggested.

AND Alec Muller rents rooms right in the heart of Manchester which would probably be right up your alley.

sweet!