• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Living in Manchester With No Car

Started by mackler, February 03, 2008, 09:01 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

mackler

Has anyone tried living in Manchester (or anywhere else for that matter) without owning a car?  What happened?

-Adam

Rosie the Riveter

I lived manchester without a car for many years. It was fine. I took the bus, walked, or rode my bike. Sometimes, late at night, I did have to take a taxi...In the winter, I remember being cold while waiting for the bus, but the bus was always on time.

malcolm

I don't own a car.  I currently live in Scottsdale, AZ, and will be moving to Manchester in August.  I have a motorcycle, for basic transportation, and rent a car when I need one.  Many people find it hard to believe that I can get around Phoenix without a car, as this is a very car-oriented city.

The easiest part of my personal transportation is that I walk to work (literally across the street).  It costs me more to live here (Scottsdale has been called Beverly Hills in the Desert), but saves me 90 minutes a day in commuting time, and probably $400/month (conservatively) in fuel and car upkeep. All of that monetary savings is consumed in housing cost, but I live in a much nicer area than my peers, and waste no time commuting every day.  What would you do with an extra hour or two in your day?

Do you make a grocery list before you go shopping?  I have a similar list for "Car Day".  Car Day is the day, one or twice a month, when I rent a car to run errands which I can't accomplish on my motorcycle.  This includes big grocery runs (think Costco or Sam's Club).

The odd thing is that even though I spend MUCH, MUCH less on motoring, I drive better, newer cars than folks who own a car.  For me, Car Day begins with first looking a the menu of available cars on the internet, and picking the one that suits my fancy for the day or weekend, the cost of which is between $25 and $90 per day, depending on my needs.  Sometimes a Hyundai Accent or PT Cruiser for $30 will let me run my errands.  Other times (let's say going to the opera), I'll spring for a more luxurious ride.  My best deal there was a Jaguar X-type for $130 for two days over the weekend, because the proprietor recognized me, and the car would have otherwise sat idle.

I have found living without a car to be better than owing one, although it sometimes entails some planning.

Beth221

i know a few who dont have cars right now, they walk, and take the bus.  There is also a large amount of us who have cars, and are willing to pick up someone, or bring them home.  I always offer rides when I am in Manchester to and from Taproom! 

Lloyd Danforth

Of course she is drunk on the 'from' rides :P

John Edward Mercier

In the winter of '92, I turned in my license to the court and parked my vehicle for nine months. But then again, as a child I walked all throughout the Laconia area... so it didn't really make a difference.

Beth221

error

I don't currently own a car and I live in Manchester. As you said, it requires a bit of planning, but it's not particularly inconvenient.

mackler

Is there somewhere to get groceries downtown?

Actually, since we're on the subject, maybe some other good questions are:

Is anyone interested in an automobile time-share?

Is there a market for a Porcupine Taxi service?

picaro

Stop & Shop is 1/2 mile from Porc Manor.   Hannaford is about twice as far.  There is a Hannaford further north and another one on the west side.

A car would be nice if you want to the get to South Willow (large commercial strip).

elf

Manchester on foot is frustrating for me.  I hate being held hostage to someone else's clock... like Manchester Transit Authority.  Buses don't go anywhere I need to be, at times I need to be there.  My experience so far is not good.  Looking for work is difficult.  Go apply for a job, watch the reaction when the transportation issue comes up.  The unspoken bias against those who use public transit is apparent. 

ny2nh

I would think getting someone to hire you without a reliable mode of transportation would be the biggest issue with not having a car. I know I would be hesitant to hire someone who didn't have their own vehicle....I can only imagine the endless list of reasons to be late or not being able to get there at all....it was pouring, it was freezing, the taxi was late, my ride never showed up, etc.

The Stop & Shop is quite close to Alec's....especially in the warmer weather. Downtown Elm St. is also very walkable to....especially in the warmer weather. And Murphy's.....although Rochelle & hubby looked really cold when they arrived on Saturday after walking!!

I guess I just could not imagine not having a vehicle to get around.

mackler

Quote from: ny2nh on February 05, 2008, 09:47 AM NHFT

Hmm, any entrepreneurs want to start a Flex-Car / Zip-Car type service in Manchester?

Beth221

i hear the busses are excellent for running on time in manchester.  Most places are pretty walkable, me and Daisy last week put our paw prints all over the town! 

malcolm

Quote from: mackler on February 05, 2008, 10:28 AM NHFT
Quote from: ny2nh on February 05, 2008, 09:47 AM NHFT

Hmm, any entrepreneurs want to start a Flex-Car / Zip-Car type service in Manchester?

Zip car and Flex car include the cost of fuel, insurance and sometimes parking.  You can ALMOST always get a better deal from a regular rental establishment.  Additionally, regular rental places will deliver the car to you or pick you up.  With Zip car or Flex car, you have to go to them.  Hertz is usually reasonable ($35 per day for an econobox), and has an office on South Willow St.