• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Freedom Oriented Library

Started by Kat Kanning, June 05, 2006, 05:16 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

elf

Kudos and karma for Jack!!!! 

I have some books for this project.
I'm copying them first.  Don't shoot me for copyright infringement. 

jaqeboy

Ah, bummer.  :blush: Sorry to report this, but one of the things enabling this project was a friendly landlord that was going to allow us to ramp up our rent as we got members and... that landlord was fighting the bank and lost the property!!!

We've obviously got to have something set up that is waaayyy more secure than this, especially if someone is to loan their precious materials to us. I have boxes of books in a warehouse right now - not being accessible to people  :(

We have an enthusiastic volunteer board and people willing to donate/loan books and man the "library nights", but we're back to square one on facilities. We've even thought of making it a virtual library, ie, implementing all the cataloging features, but not keeping the books in a common home until we secure a facility. (Details obviously to be worked out).

Everyone loves the idea, and, especially having a facility would be such a plus! ;)  If everyone loves the idea, and as more Porcs move here, it should be financially supportable at market rents - we were trying to pull it off with friendly support.

Perhaps it's time to re-convene the founding board and invite others to help (We have some things hammered out from our meetings so far) - brainstorming might be what we need right now.

Kat Kanning

Make it simple and just have the books somewhere accessible :)

FTL_Ian

I don't want to loan my books to you.  I want to give them to you.

Unless something happens soon, I'm considering just bringing them to the next Social Sundays and letting whoever take whatever they want.

jaqeboy

I've got the warehouse to store them safely in until we open a location....

You may want to join up on the planning board to make your suggestions on how you would like a library to work!

FTL_Ian

Puke told me that you are planning on having a meeting in Peterborough sometime soon.  If you want, PM me the details on that, (I was already interested in attending) and I could just bring my stuff out then.

Bald Eagle

Well, I've thought a little bit about this since the first time Jack told me about it, and it seems to me that it's essentially a real estate problem.

Location, location, location.

Secure, climate controlled, and accessible by bibliophiles.

So, why don't we consider having several satellite libraries that can periodically exchange inventory?
That would open up more options, since fewer books would have to be stored at any one location, and the multitude of libraries would increase the chances that one would be in the neighborhood accessible to the book addicts readers.    :book1:
And there's no head to cut off, so when subversive reading materials are outlawed after the First Amendment is finally made utterly irrelevant, there's no one place to go confiscate them.

Just hook up the suitcase nuke to the house thermostat and set it to °F 451.   :_fire__by_zacthetoad:
[Beavis]  Yeah yeah, fire, FIRE!  [/Beavis]

In the event that a top-down, centrally planned location becomes available to allow workers control of the means of book storage, the toiling proletariat masses can show their glorious loyalty to the Party and bring the rest of their books from the piles in the corners, from under the stereo, from out of the boxes in the attic, the back seat of the car, the top of the closet, and stacked on top of the loo.   :raspberry:

If there are any building materials available, I'd be happy to help design and construct shelving for storage.   

SAVE THE BOOKS