• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Anarchocapitalism teaches a lesson.

Started by Michael Fisher, February 09, 2008, 01:31 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Fisher

Anarchocapitalism has taught me a very important lesson in life:

Even if 99.99999% of people believe in something, such as a monopoly of force, they may all be wrong.

dalebert

Quote from: Michael Fisher on February 09, 2008, 01:31 AM NHFT

Even if 99.99999% of people believe in something, such as a monopoly of force, they may all be wrong.

Cool. For myself it was kind of the other way around. Slavery, inter-racial marriage bans, and stuph like that taught me that a majority can be tragically wrong and that democracy isn't freedom. That helped me to grasp AnCap.

MobileDigit

Anarcho-capitalism has taught me that awesome opportunities abound. It's barely been a hundred years that humans have been able to fly, and now we have the internet and vast business opportunities. Are there are going to be more and more opportunities, not less. One truly sees where humanity is when you compare it to anarcho-capitalism and how much further we could be. There are exciting possibilities open to us, and as has been shown time and time again, small groups of people can majority affect history. I believe liberty is inevitable, because just as reason has naturally and surely overtaken ignorance during the evolution of man, our minds are becoming more complex and receptive to these wonderful ideas.

Michael Fisher

I agree.

Wherever people are allowed to be free for more than a few years at a time—such as on the Internet—they become more likely to learn the truth and to live by it. True liberty is the most natural and peaceful system of human interaction, so it must be inevitable.

Perhaps cheap individual space travel and habitation will enable anarchocapitalist societies to finally come to fruition once again, just as liberty flourished in the frontier regions of ancient Ireland and medieval Iceland.

Hopefully this time people will preventatively cooperate in developing stronger individual weapons to repulse a possible invasion by future interstellar jack-booted thugs, should they remain in existence at that time.

srqrebel

Quote from: Michael Fisher on February 09, 2008, 11:12 AM NHFT
Perhaps cheap individual space travel and habitation will enable anarchocapitalist societies to finally come to fruition once again, just as liberty flourished in the frontier regions of ancient Ireland and medieval Iceland.

Hopefully this time people will preventatively cooperate in developing stronger individual weapons to repulse a possible invasion by future interstellar jack-booted thugs, should they remain in existence at that time.

Yeah... I'm with you there.  I relocated from a semi-tropical climate to a frigid one in search of freedom, and I'd be one of the first to physically leave the planet to experience freedom, if necessary (and feasible).

btw, Michael... been reading any Heinlein lately? ;D

MobileDigit

I am way more optimistic than that. I really believe we can convince a population of government's unnecessity within my lifetime. It all starts with the individual, and one on one relationships that advocate a free society. We can make it happen!

Michael Fisher

Quote from: MobileDigit on February 10, 2008, 04:41 PM NHFT

I am way more optimistic than that. I really believe we can convince a population of government's unnecessity within my lifetime. It all starts with the individual, and one on one relationships that advocate a free society. We can make it happen!

You are correct. This will also enable a free society. This, too, is within the realm of probability, especially as government increasingly ruins the world and we continuously work to heal it through love and volunteerism.

Quote from: Michael Fisher on February 09, 2008, 01:31 AM NHFT

Nix that. 100% of people can believe in something, and they may all be wrong. Truth is objective.

srqrebel

Quote from: Michael Fisher on February 11, 2008, 10:18 AM NHFT
Quote from: MobileDigit on February 10, 2008, 04:41 PM NHFT

You are correct. This will also enable a free society. This, too, is within the realm of probability, especially as government increasingly ruins the world and we continuously work to heal it through love and volunteerism.

Awesome!!!  At least three of us are on the same page.  I was beginning to see myself as an island of optimism in a sea of pessimism.

Perhaps those of us who both envision a true Free Market/Voluntaryist civilization (void of any vestige of the Authoritarian Model of Government), and have the optimism to see it happening within a few decades, should be getting our heads together and kick it up a notch or three to make it happen.

I have some ideas of my own, but have been reluctant to talk about them in too much detail just yet, as they are still developing and I don't see a reason to throw them to the wolves -- but I could sure use the help of a few bright minds who are on the same page, both in principle and in terms of optimism :)

Caleb

My criticism, Menno, remains the same as it was a few months ago when we spoke about this:  You have to go beyond the "I have some ideas but I don't want to throw them out there."  Brainstorming involves throwing ideas out there, and having the confidence in yourself and the courage to know that your ideas are valid.

srqrebel

Quote from: Caleb on February 11, 2008, 11:22 AM NHFT
My criticism, Menno, remains the same as it was a few months ago when we spoke about this:  You have to go beyond the "I have some ideas but I don't want to throw them out there."  Brainstorming involves throwing ideas out there, and having the confidence in yourself and the courage to know that your ideas are valid.

As the ideas surrounding this paradigm shift have been developing in me, my confidence and courage, as well as optimism has been increasing dramatically.  The progressively resolute tone of my posts over the past few months bears solid testimony to that.

My prior post has nothing to do with confidence or courage.  In fact, I am actively preparing to forge ahead alone, if need be.  This is about smart strategy -- about not tipping your hand to potential opponents.

That said, I have concluded that I may have made a wrong turn (and done so publicly on the forum).  I am currently in the process of checking/rethinking certain premises before proceeding, which is part of the reason I have not been posting as much on this subject lately.

Caleb

Fair enough. I wasn't insulting you. It's a compliment if I tell you your ideas are valid.  :) I, for one, don't think it matters if you tip your hand, but making sure of what you think for yourself is fair enough.

srqrebel

Cool... I didn't take it as an insult at all, only a grossly inaccurate representation.

IMO, tipping one's hand is immaterial only if one's strategy is sabotage-proof.  It should be pretty well sabotage-proof once it is underway, but at this stage there is still some potential for sabotage.

By the way, the reason I could use help from others who share my vision and optimism, is mainly for speed of implementation.

Michael Fisher

Sorry, srqrebel, but I am not in a position to help right now.

Look at the bright side: There might be a half dozen others on Earth who believe in the same ends and means as we do. Yet somehow, I do not feel lonely.  ;D

Russell Kanning

Quote from: srqrebel on February 11, 2008, 11:52 AM NHFT
Quote from: Caleb on February 11, 2008, 11:22 AM NHFT

As the ideas surrounding this paradigm shift have been developing in me, my confidence and courage, as well as optimism has been increasing dramatically.  The progressively resolute tone of my posts over the past few months bears solid testimony to that.
I have to strongly disagree with you Caleb. I have not interest in hearing about any of Menno's ideas ... they will be too optimistic and unreachable. ;)