• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Grafton jail

Started by KBCraig, February 12, 2008, 01:07 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

KBCraig

Dunno if Grafton County is properly "Monadnock", but it seems to be the best regional match. And this is Grafton County, not the Town of Grafton. Anyhoo...

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Grafton+County+to+get+new+jail+after+delegation+revotes&articleId=4bac72d8-19db-4da1-baf8-f68fd3dee59f

Grafton County to get new jail after delegation revotes

By LORNA COLQUHOUN
New Hampshire Union Leader Correspondent

HAVERHILL – Ground-breaking on a $38 million jail will begin later this year, after the 26-member Grafton County delegation yesterday approved the bond on a reconsideration vote.

A two-thirds majority was needed to pass the bond and it initially failed, 17-9, after heated debate from supporters, who argued that the present county jail facility is out-of-date and overcrowded. Those voting against the plan said that while they agree the condition of the jail needs to be addressed, they could not support the cost in difficult economic times in many of the county's communities.

"I don't want to spend this money," said state Rep. Suzanne Laliberte, D- Enfield. "But we can't bring down (the cost) any further without drastic changes. We've got to pass it."
Grafton Country House of Corrections

Lyle "Rusty" Bulis, R-Littleton, said his constituents in Lyman and Littleton "don't disagree" that something needs to be done with the present corrections facility.

"Everyone has a problem with the price tag €" $40 million is too much," he said. "Taxpayers are looking at hefty tax increases in the next couple of years."

The proposed jail, in addition to housing inmates, calls for a medical and mental health unit, which is not typical in county facilities. Planners included that component because these types of services are not largely available in the rural county.

For many inmates at the county jail, said Rep. Robert Matheson, D-Woodstock, it's their first time in the facility.

"Let's help them turn their life around," he said. "Let's build it as a corrections facility instead of a warehouse."

When planning began more than a year ago for a new corrections building, the initial cost came in at more than $60 million. It was redesigned several times to bring the cost in at under $40 million.

"My concern is that the even if the numbers were $30 million or $20 million, we would still hear the same arguments of this project," said Rep. Bernard Benn, D-Hanover. "At this point, we know the numbers. If we don't pass this today, the price of the jail will go up. Putting it off is not going to save the taxpayers money. I urge that we pass this bond today."

After the initial vote on the plan, defeated 17-9, the meeting went into a short recess and at its conclusion, a motion was offered to adjourn the meeting, which failed. Rep. Carol Friedrich, D-Wentworth, offered an amendment changing the cost from $38 million to $35 million.

"I'm against it," said Rep. Edmond Gionet, R&D-Lincoln. "I don't like the circus atmosphere this morning. I haven't seen (the amendment), if I'm going to spend millions. No thank you."

Contractors told the delegation the plan would have to undergo a redesign before they could say what the changes would have to be to bring down the cost.

"I don't like to pull figures out of the air," said Rep. Burt Williams, R-Bristol, advocating time for the delegation to regroup and come back in the next month.

County Commissioner Michael Cryans said the planners brought forth the proposal after months of work and listening to representatives ask for a plan with a smaller price tag.

"If not now, when?" he asked. "Ultimately, where are we? If you're against it, you're against it. We think we have a good plan. We have done what the mandate was. If it's not enough, it's not enough."

Rep. Carole Estes, D-Plymouth, said she recognizes the economic times, but was concerned the plan would be unacceptable to some even if it came back at $24 million.

"In New Hampshire, I'm afraid the only acceptable thing is volunteerism and free. Nothing is going to eliminate a 100-year-old problem. We need to step up and take care of this. It is never going to be cheaper or any less onerous," she said.

The motion to reconsider came from Rep. Gene Andersen, D-Lebanon, who voted against the bond in the first vote.

"I was convinced we weren't going to resolve the issues," he said. "My decision was based on moving forward or not. I'm still not satisfied. I'm concerned the building is too big and if we build it, will we fill it?"

Of the nine representatives who initially voted against the bond, Andersen was the only one who voted in favor of the on the second vote.

The bond issue, which needed 18 votes for the two-thirds majority, was passed 18-8.

Pat K

The motion to reconsider came from Rep. Gene Andersen, D-Lebanon, who voted against the bond in the first vote.

"I was convinced we weren't going to resolve the issues," he said. "My decision was based on moving forward or not. I'm still not satisfied. I'm concerned the building is too big and if we build it, will we fill it?"[/b

Oh don't worry your little head about it Gene="There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced nor objectively interpreted and you create a nation of law-breakers.
Ayn Rand

Russell Kanning

Grafton county is not in the Monadnock region or next to it. But they are wanting to build a new jail near Keene also. :(

David

I thought I heard that they officially broke ground on the jail just recently.  This is about the time that I say to myself, "aren't we due for a recession or something?"  It would be nice if Keene gov ran out of money and it becomes a monument of wasted money.   ;)

Atlas

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 12, 2008, 06:55 AM NHFT
Grafton county is not in the Monadnock region or next to it. But they are wanting to build a new jail near Keene also. :(
Don't get soooo down Russ, this new jail will at least bring me out your way. ;D I wonder if KBCraig plans on working there or if he's just gonna stay with the feds...

Kat Kanning

Really?  You're going to move there?

Lloyd Danforth

If I understand what I heard this prison was voted down at the meeting twice. Then, some of them went into a back room and when they came out the vote passed.

kola

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on February 28, 2008, 06:30 PM NHFT
If I understand what I heard this prison was voted down at the meeting twice. Then, some of them went into a back room and when they came out the vote passed.

Hey, that sounds like my town.

KB works for da feds?  :(  I knew sumpin' was fishy.  ^-^

Kola

Lloyd Danforth

kola

he is da man on the inside?

playing the "Dutch" role?

Kola

KBCraig

Quote from: Rebel on February 28, 2008, 10:22 AM NHFT
I wonder if KBCraig plans on working there or if he's just gonna stay with the feds...
I only plan on stealing back enough of ouryour money to pay for the move to NH, then retiring as soon as I hit 50 so I can earn an honest living in the private sector.

There will be no more "corrections" in my life beyond that.

Kola, where I work isn't a secret. I've been using my real name on the interwebnettubes since 1995.

http://www.google.com/search?q=KBCraig

When I met Ron Paul, I asked him to put me out of work. Give us back the Constitution, and you can have this job -- of course, if we had the Constitution, it wouldn't even exist.

kola

no biggy KB. I was only joking.

We have a big Correctional facility here in our town...and many friends work there. I know many of the workers who are soon to be retiring. One is a Lt and makes HUGE money. He started in his twenties and is cashing out in a few years. Big pension and bennies and 50 years old. Even the starting pay is good. When I get frustrated with  running my business and dealing with the all the hassles I often start thinking of taking a job there. Some husabands and their wives work there and they are very well to do, financially. If you are cut out for that kind of work its a good profession to be in.

with my attitude, I wouldn't last a week.

Kola

yonder

Quote from: KBCraig on February 12, 2008, 01:07 AM NHFTA two-thirds majority was needed to pass the bond and it initially failed, 17-9, after heated debate from supporters, who argued that the present county jail facility is out-of-date and overcrowded.

Wouldn't it just save everyone a bunch of money if we reviewed why people are in there in the first place, give an early release to the people that didn't really hurt anyone else (materially or physically), and review the arrest priorities and "best practices" of the local police?

Lloyd Danforth

Lloyd Danforth

There is going to be some news about the prison next week ;D