• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Need a term for the day that government time becomes irrational.

Started by Dan, February 12, 2008, 10:46 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I think the government calls it "Spring Forward" or "Daylight Savings time".

I just think the shire needs a term for that transitional day when at 2am the world goes crazy.

MobileDigit

Quote from: Dan on February 12, 2008, 10:46 AM NHFT
I just think the shire needs a term for that transitional day when at 2am the world goes crazy.

What?

Dan

MobileDigit

Quote from: Dan on February 12, 2008, 01:42 PM NHFT
Good to see you on here, MD.

Hopefully I can influence the posts to be more like the ones I like to respond to! :)

hwrnhetcxyc

I like what error calls it: Daylight Stupid Time

That term could refer to the two days per year clocks are changed in addition to the time scheme itself.

Of course, in The Shire, clocks don't have to change. When it's 3:00 AM EDT on March 9 it will be 2:15 AM NHFT.

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Dan on February 12, 2008, 10:46 AM NHFT
We already do ..... Government Time

J’raxis 270145

John

Every time they pull this BS!, I try to point out to lots of folk that the government goons are now even in the business of trying to control time.

srqrebel

The Amish often call it the Devil's Time.  Just a noteworthy observation, not suggesting that we do the same :)

...although "government" as we know it, is about the most devilish real world contrivance that I am aware of ;D

John

Quote from: srqrebel on February 13, 2008, 10:56 AM NHFT, not suggesting that we do the same :)

Thanks!  I think I'll incorporate that phrase into my lingo.  ;)

mackler

Who even thinks about that anymore (besides Luddites with those old-school clocks that don't set themselves)?

ReverendRyan

I've always called it Timelords Day.

The one day of the year where congress actually gets to pretend they're powerful enough to master time.

srqrebel

Yeah, I never understood what the big deal is about DST.  Seems like it's just a preoccupation to distract oneself from the important issues.  AFAIK, there is no law that says you have to change your clocks... and I go along with it because not only do my clocks automatically reflect the time change, I happen to be one of those weirdos who likes to stay in sync with the world I interact with :D

btw, Reverend Ryan, that is a really cool graphic of the WSPQ.  Talk about a paradigm buster!

ThePug

Quote from: srqrebel on February 14, 2008, 10:29 AM NHFT
Yeah, I never understood what the big deal is about DST.  Seems like it's just a preoccupation to distract oneself from the important issues.  AFAIK, there is no law that says you have to change your clocks... and I go along with it because not only do my clocks automatically reflect the time change, I happen to be one of those weirdos who likes to stay in sync with the world I interact with :D

btw, Reverend Ryan, that is a really cool graphic of the WSPQ.  Talk about a paradigm buster!

People go along with what the government does with time because it's the single largest block of the economy. A third of the GDP- the largest mega-corporations don't even come close. Back when government wasn't so pervasive, railroads filled the same role privately. Faced with the need to standardize times due to the new speed of transportation outgrowing the previously acceptable deviations in every town's local time, they came up with and implemented the four basic time zones in the US- almost thirty years before the government took control of the clock during WWI. So we're lucky our clocks are as good as they are- the basic scheme was a private innovation before the government took it over and promptly started screwing it up.

J’raxis 270145

One should point out that during the nineteenth century, the railroads were firmly in bed with the government. Special laws to protect them, the typical corporate rent-seeking taken to an extreme, eminent domain used to build much of the rail network, &c..