• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

"Fair tax" resolution twisted for good

Started by MTPorcupine3, February 12, 2008, 04:34 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

MTPorcupine3

Here in Grafton, we had our annual town meeting, where we discussed and amended budget proposals and amendments. Following is an exerpt from an article I wrote for the Idaho Observer:

===========
Perhaps the highlight of the night was warrant article 26, which originally read like this:

26. "To see if the Town will vote to approve the following resolution to be forwarded to our State Representatives, our State Senator and our Governor:
   Resolved: We the citizens of Grafton, NH believe in a New Hampshire that is just and fair. The property tax has become unjust and unfair. State leaders who take a pledge for no new taxes perpetuate higher and higher property taxes. We call on our State Representatives, our State Senator, and our Governor to reject the "pledge", have an open discussion covering all options, and adopt a revenue system that lowers property taxes."

This particular warrant article is a project of an organization seeking to increase taxes and spending in New Hampshire. A proposed amendment was easily passed that revised the article as follows:

"Resolved: We the citizens of Grafton, NH believe in a NH that is just and fair. The property tax has become unjust and unfair. State leaders who have increased State spending 17% in the last budget perpetuate higher and higher property taxes. We call on our State Representatives and our Governor to reduce the irresponsible spending in Concord [the State Capitol], which will lower property tax burden for the residents of NH."

===============
End of exerpt. Might I suggest a similar amendment be proposed in your city or town as the resolution makes its rounds about the Shire?
Rich

Russell Kanning

dalebert

Quote from: d_goddard on February 12, 2008, 07:27 PM NHFT
Hey... isn't this politics?

There's been an awful lot of that going around lately on this forum. ...sigh. The ban isn't working.
::)

Russell Kanning

Russell Kanning

Quote from: dalebert on February 12, 2008, 09:30 PM NHFT

There's been an awful lot of that going around lately on this forum. ...sigh. The ban isn't working.
It's been better.

I also highly recommend that people enjoy Denis' forum. :)

KBCraig

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 13, 2008, 06:31 AM NHFT
Quote from: dalebert on February 12, 2008, 09:30 PM NHFT

It's been better.

I also highly recommend that people enjoy Denis' forum. :)

Courtesy link to the NH Liberty Alliance.

Dave Ridley