• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

98 acres $165K...in Keene, is this for real?

Started by Eli, February 13, 2008, 02:02 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Eli

Seems to good to be true:
http://www.beangroup.com/real_estate/listings/Land/NH/Keene/621960

Best of both worlds !!! Build your home in an area of fine homes, and walk out your back door into your very private 98 acre preserve. Great wildlife habitat. Wonderful ledge outcroppings. 28.0 acres Keene. 70.1 acres Westmoreland.

Hurricane Road, Keene, NH 03431

David

Didn't know the address but checked out the general area.  Mountainous.  Nice area. 

Mike Barskey

The website says "Taxes: $184"

I thought "taxes" in realty ads meant property taxes, but can it be accurate that taxes on 98 acres for $162,000 are only $184? That's .1% (one tenth of a percent).

KBCraig

Quote from: Mike in CA on March 02, 2008, 02:13 PM NHFT

I thought "taxes" in realty ads meant property taxes, but can it be accurate that taxes on 98 acres for $162,000 are only $184? That's .1% (one tenth of a percent).

That's not uncommon for undeveloped land that has "current use" status for agriculture (including timber) and/or recreation.

Mike Barskey

Quote from: KBCraig on March 02, 2008, 02:55 PM NHFT
Quote from: Mike in CA on March 02, 2008, 02:13 PM NHFT

That's not uncommon for undeveloped land that has "current use" status for agriculture (including timber) and/or recreation.
So it's a zoning thing? If you bought this land, you'd actually owe only $184 per year in taxes? And if you built a house (i.e., used the land other than agriculture/timber) would the govt. re-assess and charge more taxes?

dalebert

Quote from: Mike in CA on March 02, 2008, 03:03 PM NHFT
And if you built a house (i.e., used the land other than agriculture/timber) would the govt. re-assess and charge more taxes?

Absolutely. I know that if you officially declare (with the right paperwork and such) that your land is open for general use like hunting and gathering while it's not being used by you, you can get a drastic tax reduction; maybe it was no taxes. Can't remember. Of course if you start using it, that ends. This is a NH policy as I understood it.

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: dalebert on March 02, 2008, 03:28 PM NHFT
Quote from: Mike in CA on March 02, 2008, 03:03 PM NHFT
And if you built a house (i.e., used the land other than agriculture/timber) would the govt. re-assess and charge more taxes?

Absolutely. I know that if you officially declare (with the right paperwork and such) that your land is open for general use like hunting and gathering while it's not being used by you, you can get a drastic tax reduction; maybe it was no taxes. Can't remember. Of course if you start using it, that ends. This is a NH policy as I understood it.

Good to know for people who might want to buy some land and hold onto it for a while.

I'm thinking of doing just that—get some land in Grafton, and hold onto it for eventual use... and as an insurance policy if the shit hits the fan and we all need to get out of the cities fast. Ultimately I'd build on it, but for the next few years I'm committed to what we're doing in Manchester.

John Edward Mercier

Current Use in NH allows for undeveloped lots of 10 acres or more to have a State (DRA) valuation per acre depending on the agricultural use. If the property is not 'posted' against hunting/fishing/hiking (to include all human foot travel), it gets an extra 10% valuation discount for 'recreational use'. If the property is later developed a penalty of 10% of valuation must be paid.

Russell Kanning

LotharSNL

If you broke that up into a 2 acre lot, and a 96 acre lot, you could develop the 2 acre lot, and enjoy the entire 98, with must less a tax burden.  That is, if you don't mind sharing the 96 with whomever might want to wander around on it.

maulotaur

Quote from: LotharSNL on June 21, 2008, 01:54 PM NHFT
If you broke that up into a 2 acre lot,

That link is not there anymore.  Looks like outdated info..

Pat McCotter

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: LotharSNL on June 21, 2008, 01:54 PM NHFT
If you broke that up into a 2 acre lot, and a 96 acre lot, you could develop the 2 acre lot, and enjoy the entire 98, with must less a tax burden.  That is, if you don't mind sharing the 96 with whomever might want to wander around on it.

Oddly enough in NH that would increase your property taxes. The 96 acre lot could be placed under Current Use. While the two acre lot might not be entirely hardscaped.

Russell Kanning

Interesting
I like hurricane road.
If someone wants to know more about it from long distance, they can give me the address and I could check it out sometime. :)

PowerPenguin

That's insane! Property taxes are capped at 10% out here in CA as per Prop 13 in 1970whatever. People keep telling me that property taxes in towns/"cities" are very high to compensate for lack of other taxes. What is the avg %?