• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Best Price on Hard Red Winter Wheat?

Started by picaro, February 14, 2008, 04:39 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

picaro

So far, I've found Honeyville Grain to offer the best price (after $4.50 flat-rate shipping):

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=273

KJM

Walton Feed has 50 lb bags for $15.00, although I haven't looked into how much their shipping costs are.

ny2nh

This reminded me....I noticed the other day that Market Basket has a whole selection of gluten-free flour-type products as well as a selection of different grains.

Raineyrocks

Isn't this the stuff that is used to sprout and make wheat grass out of?

picaro

You can grow wheatgrass from wheat berries... I'd like to try that too.   Wheat berries can also be ground into delicious flour.

picaro

Quote from: KJM on February 15, 2008, 03:20 AM NHFT
Walton Feed has 50 lb bags for $15.00, although I haven't looked into how much their shipping costs are.

Aye,  I've seen shipping fees approach $40 for 50 lbs elsewhere.   Dada's list mentions wheat at Whole Foods for half the price (~50c)....  buying there would require a trek to Mass.

jaqeboy

There's a Whole Foods store in Bedford, just 25.9 miles from downtown Nashua, but that might involve Mass. sales tax. Their pitch:

QuoteWhole Foods Market Bedford is 40,000 square feet to experience! We are the largest store in the state of Massachusetts offering a variety of natural, organic and specialty foods. Our spacious parking lot is just the beginning to what treasures you will find here. Upon entering our store, we will entice all of your senses from our colorful fresh fruits and vegetables to our new hot bar offering meals that fill you up and leave you feeling good. Our team members are knowledgeable and are willing to help whether you are looking for something special or should just want a taste.

Has anyone else signed up for the United natural foods coops? They send out a list of existing buying clubs in the state when you request the catalog. I've bought from them before - good stuff and they deliver to your buying club location, where individual members can pick up.

Their January 2008 issue of Buying Club News (basically their updated price list) shows item #225029, 50#, Wheatberries, Organically-Grown, Hard Red Winter @$30.12, available at Chesterfield, NH warehouse.

dalebert

I have a mill and I used to make bread all the time from milled dried wheat. I could use a good (and cheap) source for this.

kola

Kat Kanning

Quote from: kola on February 15, 2008, 08:40 PM NHFT
Say no to GMO

Ask for organic.

Kola

Why preach at everyone?  How about personal responsibility?

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: dalebert on February 15, 2008, 06:59 PM NHFT
I have a mill and I used to make bread all the time from milled dried wheat. I could use a good (and cheap) source for this.

http://nhunderground.com/forum/index.php?topic=12788.0

Ron Helwig

I would love to try some of this. Are we talking about a bulk buy that I can be a small part of?

Jaqeboy has been making some awesome bread and hamburger buns, and I'll bet this would be good additions to his recipes.

I'd also like to try that sprouting stuff that Ridley talks about.

I do need a grinder (I'll probably get the attachment for my Kitchen Aid).

Raineyrocks

Quote from: picaro on February 15, 2008, 11:02 AM NHFT
You can grow wheatgrass from wheat berries... I'd like to try that too.   Wheat berries can also be ground into delicious flour.

I wonder if I have the right kind of wheat berries for sprouting, I have to clean my fridge and see what kind I bought.  Ha, I can't see me grinding berries into flour, I hate cooking.

The last 3 dinners I made came out so crappy.  I said, "This sucks", I always admit when my cooking stinks, it doesn't bother me, everybody agreed too. :P   

My son came to visit and he wanted me to make sweet & sour chicken, well he was expecting breaded chicken with the sauce over them.  I took strips of chicken and poured bottled sweet & sour sauce over them, put it in the slow cooker and then cut the chicken strips into small pieces.  The sauce came out watery because I kept adding water to the slow cooker.  Anyways I got a kick out of him actually thinking I was going to make battered chicken.  I don't know how to batter anything, it always falls off.

I remember when I was making some kind of apple thing and the recipe said to core the apple well after I figured out what that meant I did it and the core hit me right in the eyeball because I was pointing it the wrong way.  Alright I'll shut up now and go see what other thread I can ramble on! :D

Lloyd Danforth

I've had luck with S&S chicken, but, its a pain in the ass to make.  Order it from the Chinese guy!  The slow cooker is for putting a hunk of meat and some veggies into in the morning and eating them later in the day.  Stop watering down sauces! I'll send you some bullet proof recipes. 

Raineyrocks

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on February 18, 2008, 08:04 AM NHFT
I've had luck with S&S chicken, but, its a pain in the ass to make.  Order it from the Chinese guy!  The slow cooker is for putting a hunk of meat and some veggies into in the morning and eating them later in the day.  Stop watering down sauces! I'll send you some bullet proof recipes. 

Thanks Lloyd, I got the recipes, printed them and put them on the fridge for me to try to make!

I just can't stand breading and battering things.  I was paranoid the sauce in the slow cooker would burn up and start a fire because I was going out and left it on so that's why I added the water.  I even burnt hard boiled eggs one time! ::)