• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Best Price on Hard Red Winter Wheat?

Started by picaro, February 14, 2008, 04:39 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

picaro

Quote from: dalebert on February 15, 2008, 06:59 PM NHFT
I have a mill and I used to make bread all the time from milled dried wheat.

Which mill do you use?   How do you like it?  I'm considering the expense of a Wolfgang Flour Mill... perhaps I'll find a used one.

Also, I made a Struan loaf for the first time yesterday.   

It is worth the extra trouble tracking down the ingredients.   (I made large batches of polenta and brown rice beforehand, measured and froze the excess.)

Buttermilk isn't always on hand.   You can substitute either the dry stuff or use the "tablespoon of lemon juice in a cup of milk" trick.

Substituting 1 cup of bread flour for whole wheat flour worked out well too.

mappchik

Quote from: picaro on February 19, 2008, 12:10 PM NHFT
Which mill do you use?   How do you like it?  I'm considering the expense of a Wolfgang Flour Mill... perhaps I'll find a used one.

Also, I made a Struan loaf for the first time yesterday.   

Checked out the Wolfgang Flour Mill. Looks wonderful, but - Ouch!$! I think I'll keep buying bulk flour from the farmers market.
The Struan Loaf recipe is going up on my fridge for my weekend baking.  :) Thanks for the link!

dalebert

I'll check it when I get home. Can't remember right now. How does that mill you linked not get flour EVERYWHERE? It looks like it just spits it out into a bowl. That's nuts. Mine connects to the container with a plastic tube.

Kat Kanning

If someone's buying a bunch of wheat, I'd go in on some.

dalebert

Mine's called a Wonder Mill. I have a five gallon air-tight drum for storing wheat. I'll go in on some too.

Dave Ridley

Whole foods sells wheat right now at woburn mass for 63 cents a pound if you buy fifty pounds or more.

that's up from 55 cents in early 2007... a price which had remained constant as far back as 2002.

Dave Ridley

the main thing i don't know... is it practical to buy that walton feed stuff and eat it?   I understand that is not human grade.  I dont' know the diff between human grade and animal grade.

Dave Ridley

the price at the bedford MA  whole foods market jack mentioned...should be the same.  there's no sales tax.

the one in boston charges about 66 cents a pound and may be the one where i have to buy since i'm never as near the others as I sometimes am to this one.

jaqeboy

United Natural Foods, April '08 catalog:

50# Bag, Prod.No. 225029, Wheatberries, OG, HD/RD WNTR, $36.03, or $0.72/#, page 20
[OG = organically grown]

You may (verbally or by PM or email) order from me before noon tomorrow (Friday) and pick it up in Deerfield next Friday (or after). Payment must be made to me sometime between now and then - I have to settle up with the co-op at the Friday pickup.

Let me know if there are any other bulk or natural food items you need and I'll give you prices. Call me up til midnite tonight or after 9AM tomorrow (Friday) to work out the details. The catalog has 210 pages of items in fine print, so if you want something, they probably have it. I order every 4 weeks so far and we're on deadline for this order.

I can bring the catalog to the MVP meeting this Saturday to show anyone interested, but it'll be too late to order on this cycle then.

Jack
tel: 233-1058
email: jaqeboy@ijaq.net

Raineyrocks

Here's a Nutrimill Wheat Grinder  ( I don't know if that's a good price but it's at emergencyessentials.com   If you need a special code I might have one, they are always emailing me and I can look if anyone is interested.) :D
$249.99
Reg. $269.99

The Nutrimill offers low temperature grinding to preserve the nutrients in your grains and with its adjustable super-fine to coarse textures, you can grind a wide variety of grains and legumes for all your recipe needs.
This compact grinder has a 20-cup capacity and is an excellent value with its self-cleaning grinding mechanism, matched grain hopper (to avoid spill-overs) and an all-new pre-cracking element in the impact chamber to grind grain put into the hopper before you turn it on, without clogging the mill