• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

4th Amendment Abuse Rally Friday - DUI checkpoint

Started by Porcupine Realtor, February 18, 2008, 01:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Porcupine Realtor

The Manchester P.D. has announced that they will be holding a "Sobriety Checkpoint" this Friday, Feb. 22nd.  I don't know where or when yet.
As a group, we could produce signs that say something like "Unconstitutional checkpoint ahead" or "Police State Enforcement Ahead" or "COPS WITH GUNS AND BREATHALYZERS," and then post volunteers around the streets leading to the abuse of power.  We could have DETOUR signs that say "Detour:  Freedom This Way" or whatever. 

This may be an arrestable activity, who knows these days.  But it would be great.  More thoughts?  Who's in?

Kat Kanning

When Lauren Dada and others did that last year, there was no threat of arrest, if I remember right.

Sounds like a good plan :)

J’raxis 270145

I'm in.

Technically these things have been deemed constitutional, so that wouldn't be a good idea for a sign. I like the detour sign idea:
DETOUR
CHECKPOINT AHEAD
FREEDOM THIS WAY
<—
or something similar.

ReverendRyan

I think it goes without saying that several detours should be planned out, as they will likely send a car or 2 to monitor the initial "freedom detour"

Dave Ridley

<<When Lauren Dada and others did that last year, there was no threat of arrest, if I remember right.>>

the cops handed out water bottles to us and told lauren "just make sure and take the sign down after you're done"

That is the kind of cop story i love to be able to tell!

great idea mark and i hope to be there on the 22nd 
I will start poking around to see if i can find any of my signs.

error

I am expected in Boston on Friday night. So, I guess I can't make it. :(

penguins4me

QuoteTechnically these things have been deemed constitutional

So have many laws which absolutely and directly conflict with the hard-coded restrictions on government power found in the so-called Bill of Rights. When the government levies judgement upon the constitutionality of something, even an idiot can see the conflict of interest therein.

Of course, you already know this. I simply enjoy pointing out obvious things. :P

Porcupine Realtor

I don't know when or where they will be doing this travesty of freedom.  Does anyone know a cop "insider?"  That would be best; we need our own reverse informant.  Perhaps we'll just have to be on call and have several scouts drive around different parts of the city.

Some activists are going to MASS for a Beth party, so we may be short on peeps.  If we don't get better intel, we may have to scrub this one and keep it in mind for the future.  Check back here on Thursday.

Dave Ridley

The most common spot is apparently on elm st. between granite st. and queen city st.    i think they set up there a little after midnight last time and stayed perhaps until 2 a.m.

sandm000

Dave,
I think the best part of the whole shebang was when the cops went on break and left their roadblock untended.

People were just driving right by, while the cops had a little sit down.

picaro

I'll keep an ear out for any Porc411 messages disclosing the location.

Also, how legible are signs at night?  are flashlights sufficient illumination?

Hope to be out there this Friday night!

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: sandm000 on February 20, 2008, 01:09 PM NHFT
Dave,
I think the best part of the whole shebang was when the cops went on break and left their roadblock untended.

People were just driving right by, while the cops had a little sit down.

Its a sobriety checkpoint...
They're not required to check 100% of the vehicles.

sandm000

Yeah but the funny part was that they had 4 cop cars with lights on and the cops were not anywhere near them.  Imagine being at a border crossing, and all the agents take a break leaving you to guide yourself across the border, it had to be surreal to all those people who drove down the gauntlet of police cars with no police around.

sandm000

Quote from: picaro on February 20, 2008, 04:07 PM NHFT
Also, how legible are signs at night?  are flashlights sufficient illumination?

There are plenty of lights out there so a flashlight won't be necessary.

Snacks, music, and liquid refreshment are all optional.