• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

4th Amendment Abuse Rally Friday - DUI checkpoint

Started by Porcupine Realtor, February 18, 2008, 01:09 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

yonder

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get word out to every local business with a liquor license, as well.

Dave Ridley

would you be willing to look some of them up and make some calls?

yonder

Quote from: picaro on February 21, 2008, 12:40 PM NHFT
This website may be helpful tracking down licensees.

I might be a little fat-fingered with this, but I'm trying to figure out how to narrow down the results to only show active licenses.

I did a search to find any Restaurant-type liquor licenses and got back 20 pages of results, most of which represent inactive licenses.

Dave Ridley

if a report goes out on 411 , plz post it to this thread.  some of us are unable to receive the messages directly on our email.  but i plan to watch the thread.

whoever is willing...just be on standby tomorrow night and ready to hop in your car . 

John Edward Mercier

Quote from: sandm000 on February 21, 2008, 10:06 AM NHFT
Yeah but the funny part was that they had 4 cop cars with lights on and the cops were not anywhere near them.  Imagine being at a border crossing, and all the agents take a break leaving you to guide yourself across the border, it had to be surreal to all those people who drove down the gauntlet of police cars with no police around.

Everybody stopping to look for the accident?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: DadaOrwell on February 20, 2008, 07:49 AM NHFT
The most common spot is apparently on elm st. between granite st. and queen city st.    i think they set up there a little after midnight last time and stayed perhaps until 2 a.m.
not far from Murphy's right?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on February 18, 2008, 04:02 PM NHFT
I'm in.

Technically these things have been deemed constitutional, so that wouldn't be a good idea for a sign. I like the detour sign idea:
DETOUR
CHECKPOINT AHEAD
FREEDOM THIS WAY
<—
or something similar.
they might go nuts if you have a detour sign .... but don't worry we will visit you in jail ;)

Russell Kanning

Quote from: sandm000 on February 20, 2008, 01:09 PM NHFT
Dave,
I think the best part of the whole shebang was when the cops went on break and left their roadblock untended.

People were just driving right by, while the cops had a little sit down.

that is funny ... "donut break"

maybe people can hand them a donut box and shut it down early

error

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 22, 2008, 05:49 AM NHFT
Quote from: DadaOrwell on February 20, 2008, 07:49 AM NHFT
The most common spot is apparently on elm st. between granite st. and queen city st.    i think they set up there a little after midnight last time and stayed perhaps until 2 a.m.
not far from Murphy's right?

Yep, it's just south of Murphy's on Elm Street.

sandm000

Quote from: John Edward Mercier on February 22, 2008, 04:48 AM NHFT
Quote from: sandm000 on February 21, 2008, 10:06 AM NHFT
gauntlet
Everybody stopping to look for the accident?

No, I would say that people were confused about why the cars were in the middle of the street and off to the right (like a literal gauntlet) and then encountering flag waving sign wielding protestors to said empty double row of cop cars.

Rosie the Riveter

"encountering flag waving sign wielding protestors to said empty double row of cop cars"

:notworthy:

Porcupine Realtor

I just called MPD and talked to some lieutenant in the OIC (probably like a PIO), but he said he didn't know what time tonight or where the checkpoint would be held.  He said that as far as he knew, it was still going to happen despite the lousy weather.  He claimed that the traffic officer who would know the details wasn't there.  I don't know if he would tell me or not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  I said I was with the Manchester Free Press, although he didn't ask.  He didn't act at all curious about why I was inquiring.

Even if our little rally doesn't happen tonight, it wouldn't hurt to have a sign-making party so we're prepared for the next opportunity.  I am not going to stand out in the cold at midnight.  I might be out earlier for some beers and then jump in the car.  I guess checkpoints really don't stop many intoxicated drivers; they just intimidate people, give the PD good PR, and generally harass citizens.  My 2 cents.

Rosie the Riveter

Quote from: Taxinator on February 22, 2008, 03:30 PM NHFT

Even if our little rally doesn't happen tonight, it wouldn't hurt to have a sign-making party so we're prepared for the next opportunity.  I am not going to stand out in the cold at midnight.  I might be out earlier for some beers and then jump in the car.  I guess checkpoints really don't stop many intoxicated drivers; they just intimidate people, give the PD good PR, and generally harass citizens.  My 2 cents.

So what did happen?

Russell Kanning

Quote from: Taxinator on February 22, 2008, 03:30 PM NHFTI said I was with the Manchester Free Press ...

I guess checkpoints really don't stop many intoxicated drivers; they just intimidate people, give the PD good PR, and generally harass citizens.  My 2 cents.
If you have a story ... and the Manchester Free Press doesn't yet have a website ... you can submit it to the New Hampshire Free Press. :) We also can produce press passes .... copwatch ones on request.  :D

I can't believe checkpoints ever produce good PR .... have you met people that are happy they do them? In CA we hated them ... they would cause traffic jams. .... luckily I have not encountered one in NH ... except near Ed and Elaine's place. :(