• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

NH Tax Burden

Started by Jitgos, February 23, 2008, 03:26 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Jitgos

I was looking at http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/335.html . It shows NH as the second best (49th on the list) behind only Alaska in local and state taxes, BUT when you figure in federal taxes NH ranks 29th on the list. I'm going to search around and try to figure out where and/or why the federal burden in so high, but I thought maybe someone could help me out on that.

This seems like a great statistic to promote secession one day. The feds are screwing NH residents even more than most states. In fact it really changes the way I think about activism once I move. Sure, I want to limit the local and state government as much as possible, but how (working within the system for the most part because I wouldn't do well in prison :) ) do we lessen the federal burden?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Russell Kanning

we have one if not the highest rates of income per person .... so higher fed taxes ... for those that pay :(

I am mostly interested in freeing me  and others from the feds ... they are the big bad bullies in the world

dalebert

Quote from: jitgos on February 23, 2008, 03:26 AM NHFT
Sure, I want to limit the local and state government as much as possible, but how (working within the system for the most part because I wouldn't do well in prison :) ) do we lessen the federal burden?

I think this is an excellent time to talk about outside the system activism that doesn't involve going to jail. People seem to have a lot of ... interesting preconceptions. :) I'll give it some thought and add more later. I have to get ready for the polar bear swim.

Jitgos

Quote from: Russell Kanning on February 23, 2008, 06:26 AM NHFT
we have one if not the highest rates of income per person .... so higher fed taxes ... for those that pay :(

I am mostly interested in freeing me  and others from the feds ... they are the big bad bullies in the world

Thanks Russell. I thought about that after I posted. It's probably due to higher incomes in NH. So in reality the feds aren't any worse to NH than any place else it's just that NH has more financially successful people. Makes sense.

So if I'm not ready to take the step of withdrawing from system what can we do about feds? So frustrating. Do people really want them for anything. I mean even the average person has to realize the people of NH can take care of themselves. What in the world do they think the feds add to make life better?

I have a pdf report saved from that same foundation about give and receive and where each state ranks. It's from 2006. NH ranks 48th meaning it only gets 67 cents back for every dollar stolen from us by the feds.

That adds even more to the fire for secession.

Hope you had fun with your swim dalebert. :)

Porcupine_in_MA

I am so up for secession :secession: :independence: :V_mask_50: BRING IT ON!

Russell Kanning

Quote from: jitgos on February 23, 2008, 04:45 PM NHFT
So if I'm not ready to take the step of withdrawing from system what can we do about feds? So frustrating.
It is frustrating when you feel powerless.

You do have the power in your hands, but you have to take steps in the right direction. If you see the next step ... take it.

dalebert

Quote from: jitgos on February 23, 2008, 04:45 PM NHFT
So if I'm not ready to take the step of withdrawing from system what can we do about feds?

It's not one step. It's a process. You can take some steps and not others to the extent that you feel comfortable.

sheltercrow

Taxpayers in Keene, New Hampshire will pay $25.5 million for the cost of the Iraq War through 2007. For the same amount of money, the following could have been provided:
5,769 People with Health Care OR
35,567 Homes with Renewable Electricity OR
580 Public Safety Officers OR
450 Music and Arts Teachers OR
2,607 Scholarships for University Students OR
2 New Elementary Schools OR
133 Affordable Housing Units OR
6,290 Children with Health Care OR
3,116 Head Start Places for Children OR
456 Elementary School Teachers OR
442 Port Container Inspectors >:(
http://www.nationalpriorities.org/tradeoffs?location_type=4&state=33&town=0.000055888143454664200000000000&program=282&tradeoff_item_item=999&submit_tradeoffs=Get+Trade+Off

sheltercrow

Taxpayers in New Hampshire will pay $562.6 million for the cost of the Iraq War in FY 2007. For the same amount of money, the following could have been provided:
  127,329 People with Health Care OR
  785,015 Homes with Renewable Electricity OR
  12,812 Public Safety Officers OR
  9,925 Music and Arts Teachers OR
  57,539 Scholarships for University Students OR
  42 New Elementary Schools OR
  2,938 Affordable Housing Units OR
  138,837 Children with Health Care OR
  68,777 Head Start Places for Children OR
  10,056 Elementary School Teachers OR
  9,759 Port Container Inspectors

J’raxis 270145

Or the people from whom the money was stolen could've just kept it.

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on February 25, 2008, 03:37 AM NHFT
Or the people from whom the money was stolen could've just kept it.

+1

Russell Kanning

we could have added 42 elementary schools ... but the public school system is actually shrinking, so they could close one school and give all the money back ... and people would spend it on whatever they want ... or just role around it a pile of money or stash gold in box ...

lildog

Quote from: jitgos on February 23, 2008, 03:26 AM NHFT
I was looking at http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/335.html . It shows NH as the second best (49th on the list) behind only Alaska in local and state taxes, BUT when you figure in federal taxes NH ranks 29th on the list. I'm going to search around and try to figure out where and/or why the federal burden in so high, but I thought maybe someone could help me out on that.

This seems like a great statistic to promote secession one day. The feds are screwing NH residents even more than most states. In fact it really changes the way I think about activism once I move. Sure, I want to limit the local and state government as much as possible, but how (working within the system for the most part because I wouldn't do well in prison :) ) do we lessen the federal burden?

I recently heard that NH gets .75 cents back from the federal government for every $1 we pay out where as MA gets something like $1.70 back for every $1 they pay out.  I wonder if that gets factored in, in which case nanny states that get large amounts of federal funds would score far higher when figuring in federal taxes.

PattyLee loves dogs

QuoteI recently heard that NH gets .75 cents back from the federal government for every $1 we pay out where as MA gets something like $1.70 back for every $1 they pay out.

No, they do not get $1.70 back... the Feds spend $1.70 FOR them, giving them valuable gun control, education bureaucrats, Prohibition Enforcers, and all the other essential things we have to "do without" in NH. (Of course it's still bad that WE have to pay for their oppression, but it's like the Aid To Dependent Dictators programs... better to give than receive!)