• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Excise Tax

Started by Dreepa, July 04, 2005, 11:32 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell Kanning

Do you carry around a birth certificate from another country? You would think that wouldn't mean anything to them.
They never use to like my crummy birth certificate from MT. They always said it wasn't "official" or some such. Kat and I have talked about never filling out another government form.....how freeing that would be.

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on January 12, 2006, 03:01 PM NHFT
Do you carry around a birth certificate from another country? You would think that wouldn't mean anything to them.
They never use to like my crummy birth certificate from MT. They always said it wasn't "official" or some such. Kat and I have talked about never filling out another government form.....how freeing that would be.

I was thinking more along the lines of scanning it and importing it into my geneology program :-)

That way I can scan the original in Russian and one in english, but I suppose fot that alone I don't really need to have it notarized...

Okay, never mind. I'll just get my license using other documents.

cathleeninnh

There is inconsistency around the state on the application process at the DMV. Manchester in 2004 did not like my birth certificate and would not accept out of state license and passport. I had to send to Texas for an acceptable "certificate". Paying the car registration/tax  was easier. A thousand dollars for three vehicles is possible depending on age/price of the car and your birth month.

Cathleen

Russell Kanning

Quote from: cathleeninnh on January 12, 2006, 05:56 PM NHFT
...is possible depending on age/price of the car and your birth month.
mothers maiden name, check your horoscope, flip a coin ..... then there you go.

Lex

Quote from: russellkanning on January 12, 2006, 06:00 PM NHFT
Quote from: cathleeninnh on January 12, 2006, 05:56 PM NHFT
...is possible depending on age/price of the car and your birth month.
mothers maiden name, check your horoscope, flip a coin ..... then there you go.

If only it was that easy  ;)

Nhpatriot

I'm a life long resident and I agree the registration fees are steep but if you drive older cars they aren't bad.
Also remember nobody paid a sales tax when they bought their car.

I'll take that 65 corvair off your hands if you can't afford to register it.  :)

Lex

Quote from: Dreepa on January 12, 2006, 02:12 PM NHFT
You have legally have 60 days to get the car registered.

If you have your old drivers license and passport they probably won't ask you for your birth cert.

http://nh.gov/safety/dmv/driverlic/answers.html#1

Hmm... i read all the Q/A on that page and all of them say you need a birth certificate...

BTW, i don't have my Illinois drivers license. To make a long story short I got a speeding ticket and in Illinois they take your license as bond until you pay your ticket then they mail your license back to you. I sent them a personal check and later discovered that they do not accept anything other then a certified check. I sent my payment 2/24/06 but have not heard back from them and my check had not cleared. And to make things worse I can no longer find my copy of the ticket which I'm supposed to use as my temporary drivers license.

A pain in the ass is what this is!

FTL_Ian

Ugh.  I just discovered this thread.

Two taxes have got to go soon in NH:  Property and this car tax. 

For someone like me, I'm actually increasing my tax load by moving to NH.  My property taxes aren't as high, I hardly buy new things, so the sales tax down here doesn't effect me too much.  Plus, tag registration is all we have here in FL in regards to recurring car taxes, and that's only about $35/yr.

Dreepa said earlier that one must register a car in 60 days, but what if I just keep paying FL my tag registration each year and keep getting the FL sticker?  Plus, why should I bother getting an NH driver's license and draw their attention?  Surely I could get an ID card from NH if I want to vote.

Are there any holes in my plan?  I sure as hell don't want to pay a car tax since I'll be paying the extreme property taxes for a little while, until we can start a full property tax revolt.

Dreepa

Quote from: FTL_Ian on April 06, 2006, 01:52 AM NHFT
Plus, why should I bother getting an NH driver's license and draw their attention?  Surely I could get an ID card from NH if I want to vote.
Because NH will be the only state not opting in for REAL ID >:D

Lex

What a coincidence, this morning I checked my bank account and the check I had written to the DMV in Illinois had cleared. At this rate I may just get my license back in the next month or so, that is if they don't forget to send it and if the post office doesn't lose it. Don't you just love government?

Lex

Two taxes have got to go soon in NH:  Property and this car tax.

That would be nice  ;D

Dreepa said earlier that one must register a car in 60 days, but what if I just keep paying FL my tag registration each year and keep getting the FL sticker?

I believe this also applies to your drivers license. When I voted I was required to sign a little note saying that since I moved to NH from out of state I promise to get a NH drivers license within 60 days.

If you don't and you get stopped:

Statute                           Offense                                                           Fine
263:35         Resident-Failure to Obtain NH License (Within 60 days)           57.60

Plus, why should I bother getting an NH driver's license and draw their attention? Surely I could get an ID card from NH if I want to vote.

I suppose you can get away without getting a NH drivers license if you have an address in Florida you can list as your permanent address and also if the FL DMV will allow you to renew your drivers license from out of state (alternately I suppose you can fly to FL to renew it but that seems expensive).

What Dreepa said about the REAL ID also applies to you in this case.

Lex

Oh, another thought, if you list your resident/permanent address in FL i don't know if you can vote in NH.

FTL_Ian

Ugh.  Maybe I'll just keep my expired FL tag on and wait to get the $57 fine.  Maybe we should do a tag-off civil disobedience when our numbers are large enough.

president

Quote from: Lex Berezhny on April 06, 2006, 09:10 AM NHFT

Dreepa said earlier that one must register a car in 60 days, but what if I just keep paying FL my tag registration each year and keep getting the FL sticker?

I believe this also applies to your drivers license. When I voted I was required to sign a little note saying that since I moved to NH from out of state I promise to get a NH drivers license within 60 days.

If you don't and you get stopped:

Statute                           Offense                                                           Fine
263:35         Resident-Failure to Obtain NH License (Within 60 days)           57.60

261:45 Resident of State. ? Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 261:44, when a nonresident has established a bona fide residency in this state, said resident shall have a maximum of 60 days from the date his residency was established in which to register his vehicle in New Hampshire.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/hearings/uniformfine.html
261:40    Unregistered Vehicle    fine 72.00

Does Lex ignore me here too?

Lex

Quote from: dead president on April 06, 2006, 12:50 PM NHFT
Does Lex ignore me here too?

No, not on this forum just yet. Why? Did you want to tell me something?