• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Red Stuff. And Protein

Started by Caleb, February 23, 2008, 04:22 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat Kanning

Caleb, I wasn't trying to say you shouldn't eat peanuts.  If you're not eating meat or dairy, the peanuts won't be dangerous.  I believe the nanny state regulates the amount of afflotoxin in peanut butter in this country anyway.

Vitruvian

QuoteJack is getting good at making bread and buns. We're slowly moving to better eating.

I just started making bread this week.  I have been using a very simple recipe:

3 c. whole-wheat flour
2 tsp. salt
0.125 oz. (half of one packet) instant/rapid-rising yeast
1.75 c. warm water

Optional: Include one tablespoon of olive oil to prevent the bread from sticking to the baking pan (this may also prolong freshness).

Place the water in a large bowl and dissolve the yeast in it.  Add the flour and salt and combine, forming a wet dough.  Cover the bowl and let rise in a warm spot.  After twelve to eighteen hours, the dough will have doubled in size and will not stick significantly to the bowl.  Punch down the dough, place in a standard loaf pan, cover and let rise for another two hours.  Throw it in the oven (perhaps with some sort of lid for the first half of baking to prevent over-browning) at 425 degrees for ~40 minutes and it's done.

End product looks something like the loaf in this picture: http://www.sugoodsweets.com/images/blog/_no-kneadbread.jpg

dalebert

Vitruvian

QuoteIt seems to have a permissions problem.

Sorry.  It seems I copy-and-pasted the high-resolution image link.

Ron Helwig

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on February 24, 2008, 03:45 PM NHFT
Quote from: kola on February 24, 2008, 12:10 PM NHFT
Good for you Ron! Do you happen to know what your bloodtype is?

just curious.

Kola

You're too far away to use him as a donor

Well, Uncle Sam said I was A+ when I joined the army  ;D

Lloyd Danforth

J’raxis 270145

Quote from: dalebert on February 25, 2008, 11:47 AM NHFT
Quote from: Vitruvian on February 25, 2008, 08:22 AM NHFT
http://www.sugoodsweets.com/images/blog/no-kneadbread.jpg

Anyone else able to view that pic? It seems to have a permissions problem.

It's noticing the off-site referer when you click on it, but the server fortunately let's you view the image when no referer is sent. Trick I learned in Firefox when you hit a 403 page like this:—

Viewing the 403 page, click in the URL bar, and hit enter. That creates a new request with no referer (but you still get a 403 displayed, since Firefox is dutifully loading from cache). Now, hit the refresh button while holding shift. This forces the new, now-refererless request to reload the image from the server. Voilà, the image loads.

Works about 80% of the time. Few sites require referers for images nowadays, since a lot of privacy software blocks referers. But a lot of sites still reject off-site referers.

Caleb

Cool. That worked for me!

Here's a question I have:  I went to make myself a pb sandwich today, and noticed that the bread had started to mold. I only bought it a few days ago, and I've never had bread go so moldy on me so quickly. I was a little upset to say the least, because that bread cost me almost 5 bucks. Is this typical of whole grain bread?

Kat Kanning

Well, things like to eat whole wheat stuff better.  We keep it in the fridge.

Russell Kanning

the most expensive bread is still cheaper that eating out :)

I bet PB&Honey on good bread is better for you than fried shrimp ;)

Lloyd Danforth

Quote from: Kat Kanning on February 26, 2008, 04:51 AM NHFT

Exactly what things like to eat whole wheat bread?

Free libertarian

Making bread...anybody ever bake bread in an outdoor solar oven or on a woodstove type oven?
I have an older wood stove "oven" which is essentially a small metal box with an embedded thermometer that is placed on top of the wood stove.  Haven't used it yet...I'll be working with variable temperatures due to low tech and am told I'll eventually get bread. It just might take longer and need to be watched more carefully.  Thanks for the recipe above I may try it and see what happens...my chickens never complain about burned bread and readily eat mistakes ...stay tuned.

I've cooked a few things unconventionally (road trip hotdogs, taters etc. in tin foil under the hood of the car) but haven't used a solar oven yet. Might make one this spring though.  My guess is hotdogs cooked via solar would be tastier than leaky exhaust manifold smoked Fenway Franks.  

Kat Kanning

Quote from: Lloyd  Danforth on February 26, 2008, 07:11 AM NHFT
Quote from: Kat Kanning on February 26, 2008, 04:51 AM NHFT

Exactly what things like to eat whole wheat bread?

Um...fungus?

Lloyd Danforth

I didn't catch on that you were referring to Caleb's green bread. I try not to eat much bread, but, when I do I eat ww. I leave it in the freezer and a loaf lasts forever.
Well, I don't know about 'forever', yet.

dalebert

Refrigerating it not only extends the non-moldy life a long time, it also keeps it from going stale for a really long time.