• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Red Stuff. And Protein

Started by Caleb, February 23, 2008, 04:22 PM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

Caleb

Thanks to all for the helpful hints. I have now been eating vegetarian for 12 days, and I've been surprised at how easy it has been. I've also been discovering new food that I love but had never tried before. For instance, kiwi. The fuzzy part had always turned me off on it, but I had no idea how delicious it was. Also, that horrible bloated feeling that you get after a big meal of meat is gone, and plus it's cheaper. Now if only cherries were in season ...  :)

Kat Kanning

That's so cool :)  I love kiwi too, unless it's over ripe, then :puke:

dalebert

There was a show on Discovery, I think that's the channel, about the limits of the human body. They covered a lot of extreme survival situations or extreme stress situations showing what people are capable of when pushed to the limit. At one point they talked about people surviving on less food and they substantiated what I said earlier about lowering your caloric intake. It really does seem to have a marked and measurable impact on the harmful effects of aging. They were suggesting that the average adult male eats about 4000 cal a day and they recommend about half that to get the full benefit. I'm sure that means it's important to get the nutrients you need in those 2000 cals so you probably want to focus on healthier foods.

Just on a side note, another interesting part of the show was about a guy who was lost at sea in a raft for about 4 months, I think. He actually got really good at spearing fish and he fortunately had a knife. He ate nothing but the muscle tissue for a while and nearly died from lack of the vitamins and minerals his body needed. Then he started to CRAVE the other parts of the fish- eyes, liver, organs, hard cartilage between the bones and such. He didn't just them down to survive. They started to taste good to him. Apparently it was his body telling him what he needed. When he was finally found, they did a physical on him and he was in the peak of health.

:o

Kat Kanning

Here's a bunch of info on protein for you, Caleb, in case you didn't find the China Study book.  There's an exerpt from that book in here.  The password to view the file is 'aware'.