• Welcome to New Hampshire Underground.

News:

Please log in on the special "login" page, not on any of these normal pages. Thank you, The Procrastinating Management

"Let them march all they want, as long as they pay their taxes."  --Alexander Haig

Main Menu

Need a Sticky for New Members

Started by dalebert, February 26, 2008, 08:09 AM NHFT

Previous topic - Next topic

dalebert

Hi Everyone,

Just a suggestion- now that we're an a-political forum, we should have a sticky letting new members know and we can just direct them there. Also, it will provide a tactful method of dealing with the occasional person who accidentally "pees in our pool" by just posting a link to it along with a little smiley or something for good will. :) We should keep it as short and to the point as possible so as not to make it discouraging to read. I notice people are still asking on a regular basis what that means. The veteran members had some extended conversations about that but I've noticed a couple of posts recently asking again. For instance, we reminded them that making fun of politics and politicians is all good. We can also post links to other forums where people can go for political debate and organizing like nhla and nhteaparty.

Whatcha think?

Kat Kanning

Sure.  Maybe you could write it (as ambassador, of course :) ) and I'll make it sticky.

J’raxis 270145

I like the idea, especially including links to direct them to the other forums. That'll defuse arguments with people who might think NH Free is the main/only forum for in-state FSP members and that you "ought" to let them debate politics here. (That's how it was billed to me after I moved—FSP forum is for the movers, NH Free is for the moved.)

Russell Kanning

yea ... we were never that big of a tent

nhfree is for the committed ... to an institution

dalebert

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on February 26, 2008, 06:01 PM NHFT(That's how it was billed to me after I moved—FSP forum is for the movers, NH Free is for the moved.)

It was probably about the only thing available at the time. Now we have lots of choices, just how the free market ought to be!
;D

error

Don't forget the Tea Party, where nobody will complain if you're a pirate. ;D

J’raxis 270145

NH Tea Party was there when I moved (2007-06-30), but very new.

As for the alternative board options, I'd put down the FSP forum (naturally), the NHLA forum, NH Tea Party, and the FTL BBS. There's also NH Political Action which doesn't get enough traffic, so it would probably benefit from being mentioned. Jane set up a forum on her site, too.

error

(And it's down for maintenance right now.)

J’raxis 270145

You know, if your site keeps having these issues, I know of a virtual server provider that might be able to help... ;D

error

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on February 26, 2008, 10:42 PM NHFT
You know, if your site keeps having these issues, I know of a virtual server provider that might be able to help... ;D

No, you don't.

J’raxis 270145

error

Quote from: J'raxis 270145 on February 27, 2008, 12:45 AM NHFT
Lol.

Seriously, you don't see too many 4 CPU core, 2GB RAM virtual servers. And virtual servers are as susceptible to freak hard drive failures as anything else. :-\

J’raxis 270145

No, but your uptimes are starting to head into the territory of that abomination of a VPS I had up until a few weeks ago. :)

Russell Kanning

It is also kinda funny to me .... that we should have a list of all the places someone should go to for talking about other things.
Why would we assume someone comes here to talk politics ... and needs to be directed elsewhere?

J’raxis 270145